Why play a human?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Re: Why play a human?

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Why play a human?

Why would you want to befoul a character sheet by playing any other race? Such heresy!

Humanity is purity!

lol.

Ok truthfully, I really don't care for any other race, even in other (Read D&D) games. I'm not sure why. But I think it has to do with the fact that I find humans more... fun to play.

Besides, how else can I sit at the table and scream " Death to the foul Xenos! "
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Spinachcat wrote:If you just look at stats...
Then you probably are not having as much fun as you could be.
:fool:
CushionRide
D-Bee

Unread post by CushionRide »

i love playing human campaigns, lol especially diablolic humans ^_^

{"DROP YOUR WEAPONS OR WE KILL YOUR COMMANDER!", i raised my rocket launcher and fired a volley of 4 missiles at them. well actualy i targeted the LT......} at this point the GM looks at me "are you serious", "yes, im shooting the LT. the best way to solve a hostage situation is to eliminate the hostage"

Diabolic RULES!!!!
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

I think the best reason to play a human is that a male or female...either of the species can breastfeed a child...and that's just super

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/mis ... lkmen.html
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

dark brandon wrote:I think the best reason to play a human is that a male or female...either of the species can breastfeed a child...and that's just super

I'm guessing that your campaign plots are significantly different than my own.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
dark brandon
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
dark brandon wrote:I think the best reason to play a human is that a male or female...either of the species can breastfeed a child...and that's just super

:heart: enemies in mine kill you with love :heart:
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

CushionRide wrote:i love playing human campaigns, lol especially diablolic humans ^_^

you and I could do a lot of quality roleplaying together
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

dark brandon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

:heart: enemies in mine kill you with love :heart:

DEATH BY SNOO-SNOO!
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Highway Man wrote:I was actually thinking about why play a human when there are so many better things to play

Like what?

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I can't think of many good reasons, aside from the fact it's easier to modify them into something else, such as a cyborg, super-powered mutant, and so on...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Highway Man wrote:Well I thought super hero was a good enough example.

Super heroes can be human.
And vice versa.

In fact, other than humans, mutant animals, and specific alien species, the books never mention any other creatures capable of having super powers.
Elves, dwarves, dragons, grackle-tooths, and other stuff just seem to be straight out of luck when it comes to super powers.

To further expand on that I would say anything that is a natural MDC creature is a good start. As long as you are roughly human sized you can use their tech which makes the human tech advantage a some what moot point.

Not if you're in CS territory.

I mean I get it when DMs require players to only play humans because a lot like that "humanities struggle" concept that comes with playing on Rifts Earth, but for me if you really want to get down and dirty and survive long term you'll probably have to be a semi powerful d-bee. At the end of the day a level one mdc d-bee is going to be better off then a level 15 human because that human is still an sdc creature in a mega damage world. That's just my opinion though.

If the entire world of Rifts came down to unarmored slugfests, you'd be right.
But it doesn't, so you're not.

And hey, even then, a human can be a full conversion Borg.

dark brandon
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:If the entire world of Rifts came down to unarmored slugfests, you'd be right.
But it doesn't, so you're not.

And hey, even then, a human can be a full conversion Borg.

Or any number of mages or psionics.
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Highway Man wrote:You are right that it’s not going to come down to unarmored slugfest, but guess what d-bees can use just as much magic and tech as humans, so in my opinion and from my experience with the game the advantage still goes to the d-bees.

Umm, no.
The top 5 ruling factions around the Globe are human. Guess why they rule? It certainly isn't due to numbers or raw physical power, so that leaves tech. and magic.
If Dee-Bees truely had superior tech or magic, then the cost of such tech, and initiators of such magic would best the humans that have tools of the equivalent.

That is to say, Naruni tech might seem superior, but in the reality of Rifts, I can buy two guns for the price of one of theirs, and end up with more firepower. As far as magic is concerned, you use some type of armour spell that gives you 50 points of MDC - this with a caster that is naturally MDC means very little, yet you have SDC human casters that perform the same spell and boom, they're on-par with an MDC being. This makes magic the advantage of humans.

Highway Man wrote:Super heroes really can’t be counted on the side of human either (my opinion) as most would be considered d-bees with their powers. CS doesn’t tolerate d-bees as I recall and I haven’t seen a Captain CS flying the skies saving the day. I also mentioned I would use heroes from Heroes Unlimited just to clarify that.

There are no naturally occuring super-powers in Rifts that the CS would consider a product of humanity - but that is a cause of the organization, not a flaw with being human in Rifts. That is why you don't see a Captain CS.

Really though, The premise of HU is that you are human with mutant powers, just like in the comic books. That you can count the majority of super-powered individuals as indentified base-species: human means that again, this is a human advantage.
A quick and easy way to determine this would be to break the rules and give an MDC, like say a Grackletooth - invunerability. An extra 800 MDC.
Now take a human superhero and give him invunerability - an extra 800 MDC. While he isn't quite as good as the super-grackle listed above, he's definitely better than every other grackletooth on the planet. The difference? You're more likely to find a human with invunerability than a Grackletooth, and of the two I didn't have to break the rules to give the human invunerability.

Highway Man wrote:As far as being a d-bee in CS territory and the human tech advantage it is still a moot point. Human sized d-bee can still use human tech. Just because you are human in CS territory doesn’t mean the CS is going to pimp you out with the latest gear or that a d-bee wouldn’t be able to get his hands on gear in the same area.

Umm, no. You won't find too many Grackletooth SAMAS pilots, Tyrvol Swordsman gunslingers, or Vampire tanning oil models.
For as many human-sized Dee-Bees that can use human tech, there are atleast that many who cannot.

Highway Man wrote:Human in some mdc armor vs a mdc d-bee in mdc armor with the same weapons then the odds highly favor the d-bee.

Yeah, sure. I'll pit one Mega-Juicer (human only) versus pretty much any Dee-Bee in Juicer-Assassin Flex Plate any day of the week.
Better yet, why don't we take all the Dee-Bees and all the humans and have a Juicer-conversion contest - the race with the most people left alive with successful conversions afterwards wins.

What I'm saying is that you can't pit two races and offer them the same equipment when one race has many other options available to it via equipment and magic, against another. See, equal equipment isn't something all Dee-Bees get - the flip side is that humans (on average) get better equipment. You can take a Human and have him be a head-hunter; he gets bionics and such, and can pilot a suit of PA.
Throw a Grackle-tooth into that OCC and he can't get bionics, and generally cannot wear most suits of PA without extensive customization. Better yet, the money spent on customizing that grackle's suit is available to further pimp out the humans' - this offers that again humans stand at an advantage of equipment.

Highway Man wrote:Same d-bee vs say a full conversion borg I would still place my bet on the d-bee. I hate to go into such a simple character vs character example there, but that seems to be the direction of this. In a normal combat situation where you are in a party and fighting multiple bad guys I think that if anyone is going to die it’ll be the human before the mdc d-bee.

So the Human SAMAS pilot and the Grackletooth SAMAS pilot get into a fight with 40 vanguard brawlers wielding laser rifles. The Grackletooth dies because a stock Grackle with a SAMAS suit can neither pilot nor wear the suit straight off the bat, meanwhile that human SAMAS pilot flies outside of laser rifle range and guns down all 40 vanguard brawlers due to his human advantage of already fitting most technology and having access to OCC's such as robot pilot.

Better yet, The human and Grackletooth get into a magic using contest; the human adopts a magic OCC, like Shifter and the Grackletooth doesn't because he doesn't have access to such classes. They then run into a demon of superior physical quality, who is otherwise more than a match for them in 1 on 1 hand to hand combat. The grackletooth dies as he lacks the ability to defeat this superior opponent, meanwhile the "weak" human casts a spell and bind this sucker to his will.
Later on, this Shifter has run into an entire gang of Grackletooth ruffians out to swat the inferior humans. They kill off this guys' bound demon (after some casualties), and proceed to attack the Shifter. The Shifter calls forth two portals - the first one leads him to the middle of the ocean, and through some kind of happenstance the gang of Grackletooth are allowed to follow. The Shifter then opens a second gate back to where he was, but disallows the gang of Grackletooth to follow him again. They drown because as physically superior as they are, they cannot possibly swim all the way back to North America, or any land mass for that matter.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Highway Man wrote:You are right that it’s not going to come down to unarmored slugfest, but guess what d-bees can use just as much magic and tech as humans, so in my opinion and from my experience with the game the advantage still goes to the d-bees.

That again depends on what kind of D-Bees you're talking about.
Some physically cannot use certain tech items, some cannot use magic, some cannot get cybernetics, etc.

Super heroes really can’t be counted on the side of human either (my opinion) as most would be considered d-bees with their powers. CS doesn’t tolerate d-bees as I recall and I haven’t seen a Captain CS flying the skies saving the day. I also mentioned I would use heroes from Heroes Unlimited just to clarify that.

Whether or not they're D-Bees, or would be considered such, they're still human.
As "D-Bee" means is that they come from another dimension.
So you or I would be D-Bees on Rifts Earth, powers or no.

Other than that, there are plenty of humans on Rifts Earth that aren't aligned with the Coalition, so what the CS does or does not like isn't really an issue in whether or not something is human.

As far as being a d-bee in CS territory and the human tech advantage it is still a moot point. Human sized d-bee can still use human tech. Just because you are human in CS territory doesn’t mean the CS is going to pimp you out with the latest gear or that a d-bee wouldn’t be able to get his hands on gear in the same area.

But it does mean they won't actively hunt you down and kill you, which was my point.
(Well, not unless you tick them off)

Human in some mdc armor vs a mdc d-bee in mdc armor with the same weapons then the odds highly favor the d-bee.

That depends on the D-Bee and the Human in question, and what the other factors are.
Like I said, not everything is a straightforward slugfest.

Same d-bee vs say a full conversion borg I would still place my bet on the d-bee. I hate to go into such a simple character vs character example there, but that seems to be the direction of this. In a normal combat situation where you are in a party and fighting multiple bad guys I think that if anyone is going to die it’ll be the human before the mdc d-bee. Again that is my opinion which comes from my experience with the game after seeing so many sdc characters die while the mdc ones live.

Again, what D-Bee?
Shaper vs. Full Conversion Borg = Shaper for the win?
Doubtful.

Return to “Rifts®”