Mecha Design and testing

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Mecha Design and testing

Unread post by AuroraKet »

mechanimorph wrote:
Wildstar wrote:So how long with the technology level of Macross/Robotech would it take to build a new valkryie??

Remember that Battlestar Galactica episode where they built that new Viper out of spare parts.... because they could?

That's fairly analogous to having a bunch of people in a workshop with the know-how but not all the correct fabrication tools. It took them ages, and the end result wasn't all that pretty.... but it worked.

Yeah, that was... not pretty at all, considering. And it was hard to fly as I remember. A Veritech, though, by its nature is a lot more intricate, because of all the transformation systems. I'd think it easier to build a BSG Viper from parts, than a Veritech, to be honest.
Currently Playing:

Robotech: Rising Sun hosted by Chris
Robotech 2044: Tales of the Misfits Next Generation hosted by RyuDraconis
Robotech 2042: Getting the Goods hosted by silvermoon383

Will update when another is added. :)

Oh! And Support LibreOffice! Or OpenOffice. Don't be dominated by Microcrap greed!
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Unread post by Novastar »

How easy would it be to build a Hind, from scratch?
Helicopter tech was about 40 years old when the Hind first appeared.
Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
Novastar only speaks the truth. ~ Brandon Aten, aka The Galactus Kid
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Ok, lets say you have a character maybe an Engineer, he/she has all the relevant skills to design and modify your favourite valkyrie.

Working alone, we are likely talking YEARS for a completely new design. As far as a modifed version of an existing design, it really depends on how extentsive the changes are going to be.

Any new software code is likely going to take time to develop and debug to. A bug in the F-22 code was missed until it actually crossed the International Dateline when it was to be deployed forcing them to return to base.

It could probably be cut down to MONTHS if s/he was working on a team in a "Skunk Works" like environment, but the best bet is likely still going to be years.
AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

ShadowLogan wrote:
Ok, lets say you have a character maybe an Engineer, he/she has all the relevant skills to design and modify your favourite valkyrie.

Working alone, we are likely talking YEARS for a completely new design. As far as a modifed version of an existing design, it really depends on how extentsive the changes are going to be.

Any new software code is likely going to take time to develop and debug to. A bug in the F-22 code was missed until it actually crossed the International Dateline when it was to be deployed forcing them to return to base.

It could probably be cut down to MONTHS if s/he was working on a team in a "Skunk Works" like environment, but the best bet is likely still going to be years.

Yeah, having more designers would make it go more quickly. And software debugging... I didn't even hear about the F-22 bug. Yikes. Certainly not good to be having the code bugs pop up at /that/ point. That's almost as bad as the one found in the Patriot missile system, where the timing system was falling off and going bad.
Currently Playing:

Oh! And Support LibreOffice! Or OpenOffice. Don't be dominated by Microcrap greed!
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Sounds like the F-22 was loaded with microsloth software. It was probably using vista. Poor airforce forced to use substandard software. :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Beatmeclever
Adventurer

Unread post by Beatmeclever »

In Macross Plus, we are given a brief example of the testing phase of the design process. More than likely, as we are seeing actions in the various series, there are teams that are developing and testing designs; the military is constantly seeking newer and better designs due to the continuous fighting the human race seems to be encountering in the galaxy; and so, where in the real world vehicles are selected with the idea that they will be modified and kept in-service for decades, the UN Spacy or UEDF (depending on the series) is selecting the newest, fastest, most powerful, you-name-it design that can be fielded.

This would lead to small batch orders on designs and continuous requests from the miltary-establishment for the next-gen Variable Fighter. The designers are working in teams (as seen in Macross Plus) and they are competing against other teams with advanced (Macross-future -- think advanced AI and psycho-control) computers aiding in the design/testing process. This would make the advancement MUCH faster than today. I'd say that a completely new design could be designed, prototyped, tested, and put into production in just under 2 years using the "Team of engineers, Advanced Ultra-Computer, and Highly Skilled Team of Test Pilots" Plan.

There is also the option that the VF-25 is a "Fleet-Specific" mecha. Perhaps it was designed, tested, and is produced in the specific fleet in which it serves? I have not yet seen the show from which it comes, but this might mean that each colony fleet flies different mecha and that those mechs diverge further and further from the original homeworld designs the farther away from Earth the fleet gets.
"The impossibility of the world lies in the fact that it has no equivalent anywhere;it cannot be exchanged for anything. The uncertainty of thought lies in the fact that it cannot be exchanged either for truth or for reality. Is it thought which tips the world over into uncertainty, or the other way around? This in itself is part of the uncertainty." - J. Baudrillard
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "A monarch's neck should always have a noose around it. It keeps him upright." ~ Heinlein

Well, I'd say the real question is...

Do you want it to be realistic, or fit the anime genre?

Let's face it, in anime, anyone with sufficient technical skills can bump out a number of highly advanced, specialized PA/Mecha, with only modest effort (Bubblegum Crisis, Macross 7, Power Rangers & it's myriad of clones).

Also...20 years from design, to working aircraft, assumes the current American industrial-military complex. In WW2, they pumped out designs A LOT quicker (I seem to remember one fighter was all of 16 months from commission to factory line).

Engineering is all about "What are you looking for?". Mattering on how much testing you want to do previous to manufacture, money invested, manpower, and design parameters of a new aircraft, will determine how long it takes from table to factory line.
I would hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the true-born king of England. ~ Mark Hall
AuroraKet
Dungeon Crawler

Aramanthus wrote:Sounds like the F-22 was loaded with microsloth software. It was probably using vista. Poor airforce forced to use substandard software. :D

That would not surprise me... in the least! :P :D :lol:
Currently Playing:

Aramanthus
Monk

I was wondering if anyone would enjoy that little thought! I thought it was very relevent.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Wildstar wrote:Ok..but if you have the technology already, with what nearly 40 years or so of designing and building Vf series it would have to be easier....
Using already proven and tried parts and transformation procedures it would have to be easier to design and build a new Valkyrie

It is not like when the Macross first crashed into an insland and we learnt al new stuff, it would only take a year going all out, with a desin team, the financial backing and production facility.
Maybe even less.
Thats what my opinion is, but iwould like to know if anyone is a designer in the aviation industry.

Phalanx is a actual real life rocket scientist and former CIA analist who now works at NASA. He'd know and be able to give you a plausable answer on this.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Aramanthus
Monk

Phalanx is a former CIA analyst? I knew he was studying for his aeronautic engineering degree. I didn't know about the first one.

HH....FIE
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Aramanthus wrote:Phalanx is a former CIA analyst? I knew he was studying for his aeronautic engineering degree. I didn't know about the first one.

I believe he has his Master's in AE.
And yes, Phalanx was a analyst (though I forget for whom).
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh ok! I thought he was working on his Masters or is it his doctorate he is working on? Cool about being an analyst! That expalins his eye for extremely great details.

HH....FIE
Novastar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Aramanthus wrote:Oh ok! I thought he was working on his Masters or is it his doctorate he is working on? Cool about being an analyst! That expalins his eye for extremely great details.

I believe he opted for working for NASA, rather than pursue his Doctorate.
..which just means he'll get it later, brainy little man that he is! ;)
Aramanthus
Monk

Very cool! I know I wouldn't say no if NASA called either! He'll be a great Doctoral canidate!

HH....FIE

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”