Which Race would you prefer to play?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which is your prefered race?

Humankind
26%
Elf
11%
Dwarf
5%
Gnome
4%
Troglodyte
No votes
Kobold
1%
Goblin
2%
Hob-Goblin
No votes
Orc
5%
Ogre
2%
Troll
3%
Changeling
9%
Wolfen
16%
Coyles
3%
Other
14%

Total votes: 187

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

High Orc's rule! One of my favorite characters' is a High Orcish ranger, and he's an evil SOB. (My wife hate's him, but that's cause he's always chasing the skirts of her characters *snicker*.)

However, I voted elf, because of all the races on the list, I play them most. (Of course, both characters quoted at the bottom of all my posts are human, go figure.) If they had been on the list though, I would have voted Minotaur or Gromek, possibly Quorian. 8)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

MrNexx wrote:They came out in a Rifter several years ago.

Which one?

Perhaps an overview of these creatures, too?
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

My favourite PF characters were always awkward underpowered types.

I think I voted goblin on this a long time back. I am not sure my fascination with the little creatures, but mine where always unconventional types stricken with wanderlust or something that made possibly likable by humans and so forth... something that could put them in a party of adventuring non-goblins that were not ogres or whatever.

I liked them so much that I made an gnome raised by goblins so that he was played as if he were a goblin. The goblins found him abandoned and rather than eating him they kept him as a pet - they never had seen a gnome before so they did not know they were supposed to hate him. He developed into a healer and went on a quest with a couple of the smarter goblins searching for more of the magic and therefore frightfully rare mineral that kept the faeries away (salt).
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

I always enjoyed the Canine based races.....

They are wonderful for my Gene-Splicer experiments :twisted: :demon:
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Canines are fun, too. I have played pretty much everything from the first three PF books and loved them all. PF is just my favourite RPG ever...

For some reason goblins get my vote. I myself cannot explain why.
Prettz
D-Bee
Comment: Mrs. TAF

Unread post by Prettz »

Changelings for me. I'm drawn to characters with secrets.
A SIMPLE CHOICE OF TURTLE
Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Unread post by Scrud »

Prettz wrote:Changelings for me. I'm drawn to characters with secrets.
Secrets huh?? we got one of those in our group but we perfer to call it trouble making

-I go Colye,Redeye the Colye assassin loves to eat the flesh of his fallen, as well as thier offspring
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kobolds in PF are substantially different... closer to D&D's dark dwarves.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

For some reason I like the goblins too. Maybe it's because I like playing underdogs or the like. Underestimated at least. Goblins can be pretty bad ass if you play um right and don't play um like doofus's

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

duck-foot wrote:but, goblins are supposed to be played like annoying homocidal insane hyperactive disordered dwarfs.

Uhh... I hope that was tongue in cheek?

Goblins can be played very well, or very poorly. I had the pleasure of being in a group, GM'd by KevSim, that included an awesome Goblin player. He laid down some of the best role-playing I've seen in a long time; he kept his character entirely out of the realm of stereotypes, while still being distinctly a Goblin.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

well my old fav was Wolfen because I had a 1st ed chara that was a wolfen merc with master psionics he kicked so muc @$$ in the tombs of Gersidi
also had a wolfen Merc I had this cool idea about how mercs often use strange weapons so I had him take WP whip and never got to play him

Currently my favorite is the Vorloc from LOD I
gotta love an assassin that is never unarmed
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Wolfen, simple. that was easy. :eek:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Marrowlight wrote:Trolls to win! :D

Agreed. They are big and bad and takes no S#*!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

They really are my favorite of the main book traditional races to play. I just love that they're not idiots like it seems so many stories/games want to make trolls.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Of the 13 primary Palladium Races believe (just stats wise) Trolls are the best race of the 13. They can be any OCC and of any alignment. Thus having a possiblity for magic (a must if making a powerful character).

They are one of the 3 races that are considered giant size so they not only get a plus 1D6 die to all their weapon damage rolls, they also add their strength damage bonus to ranged weapons attacks(as per PF mainbook, under targeting skill description)

A human has a standard attribute roll of 3D6 per all 8 attributes = 24D6
Trolls have a total of 21D6+20 divide amoung their attributes. This equals only a 2 point difference in possible attribute points (without bonus rolls), but the +20, ends up making a much more consistently high attribute roll and character.

Inaddition their racial bonuses and natural abilities are pretty good.
Nightvision
Swimming & Climbing (Freebie skills)
+1 to Attack !
Their claws, teeth, and kicks are built in weapons (2d6,2d4,3d6); eqaul to any normal sword.

Their are many other Races in the Monsters and Animals book and other suppliments that kick the crap out of Troll stats but, of the 13 primary races trolls are probably the best.
As a side note: I believe the Necromancer OCC is probably one of the strongest.

They are pretty much a wizard with a crap load of bonus abilities & spells. "Union with the dead" being the most powerful of their powers. Allowing a necromancer to boost HP/SDC and their own magically powers. (A skull of supernatural creature can make a necromancer almost a God.)

I don't know if they had gotten lazy at Palladium books, but for whatever reason Necros have opened ended skill pick choices. With the only limitations to selecting a skill to being within the horsmanship catagory. So they can have any physical (Tumbling, Acrobats, Boxing,) Weapon Proficieny, Lore, HtH etc. (Many of the OCC's in the High Seas book seem to have more liberal skills choices)
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

Lukterran wrote:Of the 13 primary Palladium Races believe (just stats wise) Trolls are the best race of the 13. They can be any OCC and of any alignment. Thus having a possiblity for magic (a must if making a powerful character).

They are one of the 3 races that are considered giant size so they not only get a plus 1D6 die to all their weapon damage rolls, they also add their strength damage bonus to ranged weapons attacks(as per PF mainbook, under targeting skill description)

A human has a standard attribute roll of 3D6 per all 8 attributes = 24D6
Trolls have a total of 21D6+20 divide amoung their attributes. This equals only a 2 point difference in possible attribute points (without bonus rolls), but the +20, ends up making a much more consistently high attribute roll and character.

Inaddition their racial bonuses and natural abilities are pretty good.
Nightvision
Swimming & Climbing (Freebie skills)
+1 to Attack !
Their claws, teeth, and kicks are built in weapons (2d6,2d4,3d6); eqaul to any normal sword.

Their are many other Races in the Monsters and Animals book and other suppliments that kick the crap out of Troll stats but, of the 13 primary races trolls are probably the best.
As a side note: I believe the Necromancer OCC is probably one of the strongest.

They are pretty much a wizard with a crap load of bonus abilities & spells. "Union with the dead" being the most powerful of their powers. Allowing a necromancer to boost HP/SDC and their own magically powers. (A skull of supernatural creature can make a necromancer almost a God.)

I don't know if they had gotten lazy at Palladium books, but for whatever reason Necros have opened ended skill pick choices. With the only limitations to selecting a skill to being within the horsmanship catagory. So they can have any physical (Tumbling, Acrobats, Boxing,) Weapon Proficieny, Lore, HtH etc. (Many of the OCC's in the High Seas book seem to have more liberal skills choices)

I think we were all talking about which we find the most fun, or just enjoy to play the most. Not neccessarily the one that was most powerful...
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Marrowlight wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

They really are my favorite of the main book traditional races to play. I just love that they're not idiots like it seems so many stories/games want to make trolls.

Yes, I like this interpretation of them. :D
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:I think we were all talking about which we find the most fun, or just enjoy to play the most. Not neccessarily the one that was most powerful...

Ok, well that being the case Gigantese Warlords are the most fun to play, their just trouble waiting to happen.
Lord Malachdrim
Wanderer

Unread post by Lord Malachdrim »

In palladium trolls roll 3d6 for IQ, just like the humans. And OCC options are any execpt psionic.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good grudge.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

My first PF character was a Gnome so I have great fondness for them, but I do love the coolness of the Wolfen. Seriously, Roman Empire upright Wolves from the terrible Northern Wilderness just screams cool.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Minotaur, Changeling or Wolfen are the ones I like most. Changeling can fit in any where thats my pick.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”