Question for Open House GM's...

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Question for Open House GM's...

Unread post by NMI »

How many of you are still writing up pre-gens/NPCS/etc...???
I know I am. (slacker that I am)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Since I'm now running three events, which means a total of at least 25 characters... I still am.

However, I should be done by tonight.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

My characters are finished but still trying to complete backgrounds. Also working on details, props, story tweaks. I just play tested my Saturday Rifts games last night, it went well but needs a few adjustments. Instead of finishing my games stuff not to mention packing, here I sit surfing the OH forums, I can't wait :D
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

I've already got all the characters and NPC's made, I'm simply in the process of making them pretty (typed instead of hand written, or formatting issues).

I ran a loose form of my game as a play-test with my gaming group about 6 weeks ago, so have had all the stuff since then. I believe in play-tests!
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Spectre
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spectre »

Yeah, I still slack. This week is going to be fun. :? Typing up all the PC's (NPC's can stay on notebook paper for all I care), making the final adjustments to map, and finishing minis. Plus I have finals.
"A little Rebellion now and then is a good thing." Thomas Jefferson
(To the tune of Ride of the Valkyries): Death and Destruction, Chaos and Carnage, Total Annailation Now!
300 Movie Geek Points
"I immediately regret this decision."- Jack Hare
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

I still have 4 pre-gen P.C.s and all the NPCs to roll up for my V.I.P. friday game.

Only one of my BTS After Hours games is started. Though that's not as big of a deal as I feel that BTS is most conducive out of all Palladium games to improvisational GMing.

~ Josh
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Me. But what's new? I'm sure I'll still be working on my game Thursday and Friday. :-(
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Yup, still working on my pregens.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

The beautiful thing is that I'm in all day meetings tomorrow and Wednesday. So that's two lunches down.

joy
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Yeah, I've got a TON of pre-gen to work on- we just bought our first home and moved in last weekend. So things are in shambles.. I think I can pull it together by the weekend.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

It may be a little late for this, but here's a nice secret for helping get pre-gens done, and getting a better final game as a result.

Run a play-test with your normal gaming group. Explain to them in advance what sort of a scenario it is, and what sort of things might be useful/appropriate for it. Acknowledge that the game may need some tweaking, as it is in test phase, but that you want to see how it goes...

Now tell them to make characters for it.

"Allow" them to start off at an advanced level (whatever level you want your pre-gens). "Allow" them they can pick X additional amount of cool equipment (whatever amount you want for your pre-gens). They'll feel like they're getting to make a fun character to use for a one-off, and you get lots of free labor. Play the game through, using those characters, then collect the character sheets.

Tweak whatever didn't work (Oops, don't want them to have THAT spell!) and give them what they need to succeed (Hmm, they could have used a person with auto mechanics). So long as your players aren't the type that look on character generation as a chore, you get instant pre-gens, valuable feedback on sticky spots in your game, and a bunch of fun.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Unfortunately my regular group is newbs to Heroes Unlimited and my other group hasnt touched Heroes at all. (All though they do play PFRPG). But you are right, it is a good idea.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Gadrin sent me a file with 350 fully done Phase World characters. They are all statted out with a very clean format so they look great.

Email me and I will pass along the goodness. I will also try to remember my zip drive at the Open House just in case people need characters for pickup games.

I will be posting my Rifts Rapa Nui characters on the forum under my Open House Characters thread so everyone is free to grab those as well.

- R
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I've written background text on 20 characters in the last two days, and am now statting them out. I'm pushing this one to the wire, boys... let's see which of you ends up with hand-statted sheets that I write on the plane. :)
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Reelman
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Eliminating that not so fresh feeling from the world of role playing.

Unread post by Reelman »

Jason Richards wrote:I've written background text on 20 characters in the last two days, and am now statting them out. I'm pushing this one to the wire, boys... let's see which of you ends up with hand-statted sheets that I write on the plane. :)

Not going to wait until game time to do characters like last year?
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Just to brag... I'm all done.

25 totally complete characters, 7 keepsake booklets for the main Saturday game, four flight manuals for the Flying Fang game after hours on Sat.

:P
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I'm a slacker
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Im lazy too, but I have an excuse. This past month (April) was Hell on Wheels since I had to spend almost every single day I was supposed to have off (and this is not an exaggeration) either working (because the other person working for my client called in sick) or spent dealing with family (specifically commuting back and forth between the Tampa area and Atlanta) because my Mother decided she wanted to move back to Florida.

I hope to get the writeups mostly done during the bus ride up to Michigan and type them out on my laptop (Im bringing my laptop and a printer).
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I'm planning a wedding, and trying to get my masters degree at the same time. I will get married 3 weeks after the OH, and my head is about to explode.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Reelman wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:I've written background text on 20 characters in the last two days, and am now statting them out. I'm pushing this one to the wire, boys... let's see which of you ends up with hand-statted sheets that I write on the plane. :)

Quite possible. :) I went to lunch instead of working on it today, so more and more time without it being done is slipping away.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reelman wrote:

I did the same thing last year. Heck, I had the players finish out the characters for me. But they had fun. Hopefully they have as much fun this year as they did last.
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

The Deific NMI wrote:
Reelman wrote:

I did the same thing last year. Heck, I had the players finish out the characters for me. But they had fun. Hopefully they have as much fun this year as they did last.

Add me to that pathetic list. Although, I don't think my players had as much fun... :-(

This year, I'm committed to having evreything in order by Friday night. It helps that I'll have Friday day to write. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Warwolf wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:
Reelman wrote:

Add me to that pathetic list. Although, I don't think my players had as much fun... :-(

This year, I'm committed to having evreything in order by Friday night. It helps that I'll have Friday day to write. :)
Yeah I plan on having Friday to write up any last minute pre-gens, npc's and make actual game notes. ( I keep changing the game idea, making sure that I stick to 4 hrs and not run into 7+ hrs like last year).
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

Warwolf wrote:
The Deific NMI wrote:
Reelman wrote:

hey it was still cool, what we got to rp of it *g*.. but i'm sure this year will be Much better since i know you have most everything done :lol:
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Hmm, let's see, I just finished printing off 128 pages of Character Sheets and Player Packets for my Valley of the Pharaohs game. I think I'm going to try and whip out some bonus material tonight, but I'm not sure yet. It could be fun. I just want to make sure the VotP intro session has a good lesson plan prior to working on fluff for the game portion. The fluff won't be very useful if the players don't understand the game!

Return to “Palladium Open House”