AtB Character Names

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Naming your characters

Humanish Names
62%
Gimick/Pun Names
29%
Non-human/Fantasy
10%

Total votes: 21

Rali
Hero

AtB Character Names

Unread post by Rali »

Do you use "normal" human names for your characters, use gimicky punninsh names (Drew Wolfowitz), or create unique non-human/fantasy names?

Leave examples if you wish...

I've run the gauntlet with names like:
Rali Wolfwind (Wolf)
Glron, son of Husch (Mole)
Rooster (Horse)
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Nowhere65
Wanderer

Unread post by Nowhere65 »

I tend to go with humanish naming structure, if not names.

Bog Telluride (otter)
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Human names mostly, with an occasional pun. for example a female mechanic/engineer type character named Makita... (although I can't take credit for that particular one.)
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Makita is the name of a company that makes power tools.

Michele Light did a print (Which I own) titled 'Makita' of a cute anthro husky with a tool belt and power drill. The name sounds good and works well even if you have no idea of the origin.
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

I use car themes for last names. Mitsubishi, for example.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Juankis
Wanderer

Unread post by Juankis »

I also with the mainly human like names, that way I don't have to strain my breain comning up with inventive names that don't sound natural and are a pain to memorize.
"If you want something done, ask. If you want something done quickly, ask, and then begin counting down from ten with no explanation."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Unit be the side of darkeness"
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Depends on the character, though I mostly stick to human-like names.

Gimmicky names are definitely a possibility though.

~ Josh
gordyzx9r
Hero

Unread post by gordyzx9r »

The names of the characters I've been using for the past 19 years or so are:

Tyburn, a Snow Leopard. He's my favorite all time PC, he's been with me from the time I started playing AtB back when it first came out. When I went through my riftsdiculous phase I even dragged him into Rifts with me using the conversion book.

Vandicort, a Panther.

Dr. Kore Thales, a Collie.

Grin, a Brown Bear.

Some notable NPCs (PCs of former players that became a cult of personality)

Grey Flannel, a Lynx.

Tiglath Shah the Pirate, a Baboon.
"Select the facts and you manipulate the truth!" - Calvin & Hobbes
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Recent Mutant Animal NPC Names

Sgt. Maryland - A mutant Giant Anteater (zoo animal), Cardanian Scout.

Commando Cobb - A mutant Oriole living in the Blue Hills (Appalachian Mountains) that makes a life out of indiscriminately killing humans. Leads "Cobb's Commandos," a militia of seven like-minded mutant songbirds (all size level 2 or 3).

Mama Bridgette - Mutant Opossum. Runs a small family run weapon smithy and bootlegging operation (known as "Opossum Forge") deep in the Blue Hills.

Tod Woggle - Mutant Bull frog that works for the village of Piglin. A teamster, he is the main means by which Piglin and Mama Bridgette's Opossum Forge conduct trade.

Barley, Tod Woggle's Slave - A dimwitted mutant Okefenokee Hog (Throwback). He pulls Tod Woggle's cart, and is mistreated by the frog. Actually believes that Tod is his father.

Lucius Hogwallup - A big fat mutant Chester (Purebreed Swine), mayor of the village of Piglin deep in the Blue Hills. He is really more of a dictator though, and is using his Chester family connections to finance what are essentially the roots of a small army. Unbeknownst to the citizens of Piglin, they are all essentially his hapless slaves and servants, with only Tod Woggle in on the scheme.

As you can see, some of the names have nothing to do with the animal-type in question, while others either bring up thoughts of an animal (Tod Woggle is a frog-like name, isn't it? - you hear it and think that he has to be a frog. Barley seems to be a name that can only belong to a big dumb lug) or are more blatant.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

El-ahrairah

Normally, I try not to give NPCs or PCs of mine names of characters from literature or popular culture - and when I do I make sure that there is a reason why that NPC/PC is using that name.

It's really hard to fight this temptation with After the Bomb, as the names of hundreds of animals from literature and popular culture jump out at you. Of course, it could easily make sense that a family of Mutant Goats have the surname "Puck" or "Pan," naming themselves after the literary figures - though I have yet to do so.

However, I am in the middle of creating some Mutant Rabbit Bandit NPCs, and the temptation is too great... so, I've just thrown up my arms and said: "screw it, I won't mind and nor will my players!" Plus, when I so choose, I'll rationalize my choice.

And thus, I've named the leader of the Rabbit Bandits "El-ahrairah."

:D

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh

Okay, this was too funny, I have to share:

For an ATB campaign, my friend Ryan rolled up a mutant turtle - or "Ninja Turtle," as he put it (perhaps in an attempt to annoy me slightly, though I just found it funny).

When I asked him what his character's name was, he replied: "Andy Warhol?"

Before I could even ask why, he answered the question that was on all of our minds:

"They're all named after famous artists, afterall."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

~ Josh
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Re: El-ahrairah

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Normally, I try not to give NPCs or PCs of mine names of characters from literature or popular culture - and when I do I make sure that there is a reason why that NPC/PC is using that name.

It's really hard to fight this temptation with After the Bomb, as the names of hundreds of animals from literature and popular culture jump out at you. Of course, it could easily make sense that a family of Mutant Goats have the surname "Puck" or "Pan," naming themselves after the literary figures - though I have yet to do so.

However, I am in the middle of creating some Mutant Rabbit Bandit NPCs, and the temptation is too great... so, I've just thrown up my arms and said: "screw it, I won't mind and nor will my players!" Plus, when I so choose, I'll rationalize my choice.

~ Josh

Heh The Prince with a Thousand Enemies.

Did you have a Rabscuttle too?
Josh Sinsapaugh

Re: El-ahrairah

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Normally, I try not to give NPCs or PCs of mine names of characters from literature or popular culture - and when I do I make sure that there is a reason why that NPC/PC is using that name.

~ Josh

Heh The Prince with a Thousand Enemies.

Did you have a Rabscuttle too?

I'm considering it.

~ Josh
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Rock on!

Man that movie scared the bejesus out of me as a kid....

I read the book when I was about 10 and understood it better but I saw the movie when I was like.. 4, and the rabbit that freaked out and had those bloody visions? Whooo.

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”