Movie Recommendations

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rali
Hero

Movie Recommendations

Unread post by Rali »

Dead Birds [Link] (Would make an excelent victim game!)

Cursed (Not the Wes Craven movie) [Link]
Last edited by Rali on Thu May 12, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Rose Red was also good.

Oh, and I don't see why these don't qualify:

Sphere

Event Horizon
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Here's a few more suggestions:

Movies

Hellraiser
Alien/Aliens (Series)
Christine
Carrie
The Frighteners
Predator/Predator II
Creepshow/Creepshow II
Highlander
The Blob
Re-Animator (series)
The Shining
Constantine
Powder
Phenomenon
Ghost
Tremors (series)

TV Series -

X-Files
Kolchak: The Nightstalker
Twilight Zone
Monsters
Tales from the Darkside
Night Gallery
Highlander
Scooby Doo (Don't laugh)
Jonny Quest (Original)

Also look up H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe, Clive Barker, Alfred Hitchcock & Stephen King on IMDB.com for more ideas.
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Ravenous
The Phantasm movies
Eyes of Fire
The Blair Witch Project
The Night Flyer
The Exorcist 1 & 3
The Last Broadcast
The Haunting (The original)
The Ring
The Grudge
The Wicker Man
Gremlins
Firestarter
Carrie
Wrong Turn
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Pumpkinhead
The Witches of Eastwick
Little Shop of Horrors
Psycho
Halloween III
6th Sense
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Day of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead
CHUD
The Prophecy
Prophecy (Christopher Walken)
Fallen
The Poltergeist series
Angelheart
Unbreakable
The Legend of Hell House
Creepshow
Creepshow II
John Carpenter's The Thing
John Carpenter's Body Bags
Tales from the Darkside: The Movie
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Killer Klowns from Outer Space
There's Nothing Out There
The Beast Must Die!
Deep Rising
House on Haunted Hill
Valentine
Scream
Event Horizon
8-Legged Freaks
The Mermaid's Scar
Akira

(That's all I got for now)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Name a movie that can't be translated into some aspect of gaming?

Fahrenheit 9/11. :-P
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Kalinda wrote:
C.R.A.F.T. wrote:Name a movie that can't be translated into some aspect of gaming?

Fahrenheit 9/11. :-P

I thought of that one, but before I could post it I thought of a dozen different adventures that could be based off of it...

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Dumb and Dumberer
:fool:
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Some anime suggestions.

3x3 Eyes
Akira
Blood the Last Vampire
Blue Seed
Demon City Shinjuku
Gungrave
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf's Rain

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chuck Lang »

I can recommend a move not to see, but one that wouldn't make a bad BTS adventure: Alone in the Dark.

As an "A" movie, this was one of the biggest piece of crap films I have ever seen. The plot/script was so bad and convoluted they needed Christian Slater to narrate to make things "clear." The sex scene was forced, sudden, and backed with horrid music. The lead female was one of the most unconvincing archaeologist, intellects I have ever seen. And several scenes could have been cut to make the length of the movie far less painful.

Now, if we deem this a "B" movie, it was okay. The narration can be chalked up to well-executed, cheesy story flavor. In "B" movies, sex scenes are required no matter how forced they are. A "B" movie that has extra cash in its budget will always highlight scenes they are proud of even though they should have been cut. Sexy, female scientist? Well duh, there's thousands of those in "B" movies. Just add square, black glasses, pull hair back into pony tail, and you get insta-smart!

As an adventure the movie presents nice combat scenes, dark organizations, an orphanage run by a nun, street chases and fights, a run in with the big monster in a museum, scientific experiments, archaeological finds, zombie altercations, supernatural creatures who come from an underworld dimension and are connected to the power of artifacts which also might lead GMs to create some cool artifact props. In fact, a GM could break this down into several adventures (2-8 perhaps).
Shawn Merrow

The Omen series of movies.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I loved all the Scream,s movies,Tremors and Deep Rising.

Scream was the Best because the Identity of the Killer was Unknown until the last part of it.
This Mystery made the Movie Wokr.

Friday the 13th would have better if they gone this way.
But they use Jason ,well that was o.k but they shoud have ended in with Ft13:4 Final Chapter.

The Friday the 13th Tv show was Good too.

Too bad ther was no Magic object that empowered him with powers in the Movie.
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Nerdbane wrote:But, on the other hand, Ninth Gate was pretty bad, IMHO.

Which doesn't mean it doesn't belong on this list [...]

Agreed. :ok:
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Sightblinder wrote:
mindwyr wrote:I can recommend a move not to see, but one that wouldn't make a bad BTS adventure: Alone in the Dark.

Ha ha! Sucker!! I knew Uwe Boll made that mvie, so I avoided it! :D

Yeah, I knew the movie was going to suck as well before I rented it, just not this hard. My main reason for renting it was because the synopsis had so many BtS-like elements that I thought it might be a good basis for an adventure; it turns out I was right, which doesn't decrease the agony caused by watching it. ;)
Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Colonel Lyboc wrote:Lifeforce - It has vampires from space, which sounds cheesy, but it's actually pretty well done. There are a lot of great elements for a BtS game in the film.

And, if I remember correctly, it has a pretty cool theme song.
Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Atramentus wrote:
The Gift (story about a psychic, directed by Sam Raimi and he made them wait on Spider-man 1 so he could do this film)

I am just glad they didn't see this before he started on Spider-man or they might have fired him on the spot.
:fool:
Gallahan
Adventurer

Unread post by Gallahan »

A lot of movies were listed. Here are a several TV series that might add something to the mix...

- Kolchak The Night Stalker (five BTS stars!!!!!)
- Twin Peaks (great weirdness factor mixed with supernatural and FBI)
- Friday the 13th The Series (nothing whatever to do with the movies, but GREAT in its own right; used to be regular on Sci Fi Channel, but not anymore to my knowledge; gems of episodes with a DIRECT BTS campaign feel; recovering cursed items kind of thing; five BTS stars!!!!!)
- Poltergeist The Legacy; similar to Friday the 13th series, only without as much chemistry, although they really tried and it's really good too.
"Coincidence is a glimpse into a pattern otherwise hidden."
"We live in a world of secrets. Where those secrets intersect, people die."
Gallahan
Adventurer

I think Nickelodian had one called:

ARE YOU AFRAID OF THE DARK?

It might have been scripted by the famous R.L. Stine, who wrote all those teen Fear Street Saga books (I forget how he actually spelled "fear.")
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Another TV series to add would be Gargoyles. More Nightbane-ish than BtS, but if your game leans toward urban/modern fantasy instead of true horror, it's gold. Hell, it's gold even if your game doesn't. :D Season 1 is currently out on DVD, with season 2 in the works. Some especially appropriate episodes from season 1 would be "Temptation" (intolerance, sorcery, and tampering with the mind), "Enter MacBeth" (even without his immortality, most monster hunters could learn a few tricks from the Scotsman), "The Long Way to Morning" (its structure would be useful for "flashback" sequences in a game), "Reawakening" (Science + sorcery = monster!. Oh, and the theme of protecting the city.).

There was also a very short-lived series on NBC called The Others, about a group of psychics hunting ghosts. It had a serious BtS vibe. I don't know what the current status of the series is; as far as I know, it hasn't been released on DVD.

Another series currently airing is Medium, which is a marginal series at best, but can definitely be useful for game fodder. It deals mainly with using psychic abilities to solve conventional crimes, but the feel is about right. I'm personally not a big fan of this one, since its advertising plays up that a "real" psychic is the basis for the main character, and conveniently ignores that real-world "psychics" are at best delusional and at worst con artists. But hey, the loss of critical thinking is a gain for game fodder, I suppose. :D

I also hesitate to mention science fiction series here, but one episode of Firefly deserves mention. Browncoats looking at BtS will recognize River as the archetype for the Autistic Psychic Savant. The last episode on the DVD set, "Objects in Space", begins with a great look at what life is like for someone with uncontrolled psychic abilities. Anyone playing that type of psychic (or even some of the jumpier Sensitives) should see the episode.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

ash_wednesday wrote:
Debbie does Dallas

Says you. There is a book called "The Book of Erotic Fantasy" that would go great with any pr0n.
My Sig Box wrote:Welcome to my pants.~JM_Zen
Prepare to die, rebel scum.~Prettz
That's awesome, you get the Geronimo Award for Customer Service.~Geronimo
My eyelids aren't fat! They're big boned!~Zerebus
listen to Rayven.~Becky
Eating tacos with a friend doesnt make you gay.~Cherico

897 Geek points
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Danger wrote:TV Series -

X-Files
Twilight Zone
Tales from the Darkside

Unless you are playing Conspiracy X, the show Millenium is better than any of these.
listen to Rayven.~Becky

897 Geek points
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

Sightblinder wrote:Ju Oh/The Grudge

It's Ju On, not Ju Oh.

And Ju Rei is just as good, if not a bit like Memento in the way it plays out in some parts.
listen to Rayven.~Becky

897 Geek points
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Dracula 2000 is actually a suprisingly good movie, especially for BtS ideas.

Gallahan
Adventurer

I'm still a HUGE fan of Kolchak: The Nightstalker. I know, I know... it's cheesey and someone even said that the main title music is too cheerful. I think it's perfect, but that's me. There's nothing like the intense and adversarial banter between Karl Kolchak and his boss. And mix that with a "monster" for every episode. Very well done. First, there were 2 movies: The Nightstalker, and The Nightstrangler. Then, the series. About 20 episodes.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Gallahan wrote:I'm still a HUGE fan of Kolchak: The Nightstalker. I know, I know... it's cheesey and someone even said that the main title music is too cheerful. I think it's perfect, but that's me. There's nothing like the intense and adversarial banter between Karl Kolchak and his boss. And mix that with a "monster" for every episode. Very well done. First, there were 2 movies: The Nightstalker, and The Nightstrangler. Then, the series. About 20 episodes.

Me to.
The main problems that I had with the show were:
1. Nobody ever believes Kolchak.
"Sure, Kolchak... Even though you were right about the vampire, the werewolf, the haunted armor, the witches, etc., etc.... There's NO way that I'm gonna believe in lizard people..."

2. Everwhere Kolchak goes, there's supernatural stuff. The X-Files fixed this flaw by having them specifically seeking out paranormal stuff, but Kolchak just stumbled onto it by accident. He couldn't even take a cruise without running into a werewolf...

Bill Scott

Unread post by Bill Scott »

New guy here butting into the conversation

gaby wrote:I loved all the Scream,s movies,Tremors and Deep Rising.

Friday the 13th would have better if they gone this way.
But they use Jason ,well that was o.k but they shoud have ended in with Ft13:4 Final Chapter.

Too bad ther was no Magic object that empowered him with powers in the Movie.

Deep Rising is one of my favorite monster movies of all time. It was great IMHO

As far as Jason/Fri13 is concerned, I ran a GURPS adventure several years ago where a squad of military based occultists were exploring the secret of Camp Crystal Lake. The bottom line is that Jason's mother belonged to a coven of witches who raised him for a reason I can't recall. The adventure was so cool that it led into a entire campaign which lasted nearly a year and a half
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

John Carpenter,s Vampires was Good.

What did you think of it?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

gaby wrote:John Carpenter,s Vampires was Good.

The movie is okay.

The original novel, Vampire$, by John Steakley, is 1000x better.

Kalinda
Champion

Unread post by Kalinda »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

The movie is okay.

1000% agreement here. 8-)
Personally, I think that we have a duty as role-players to try to anchor each other to reality a bit. To keep other gamers from being complete freaks and weirdos, or even psychopaths, if we can. Killer Cyborg
283 geek points. 42 McGeekpoints.
:lol: 50 Smartass Points! :lol: Slag.
60 DaDa points.
Mr.Blonde

Unread post by Mr.Blonde »

Kalinda wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

The movie is okay.

Isn't the book usually better?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mr.Blonde wrote:
Kalinda wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

The movie is okay.

Isn't the book usually better?

Yup.
But in the degree of difference is staggering in this case.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How would you make Christine in BtS?

Is it only a Tectonic or Syphon entity in a Car or could it be some thing more?
Shawn Merrow

Another good anime to watch is Chrono Crusade. Its set in 1928 and deals with a holy order fighting supernatural evil.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

SightblinderX wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

The movie is okay.

Are you sure that the movie is based on that?

Yes. Completely.
I believe it says so in the credits.
And the names are often the same (Jack Crow, Father Adam, etc), and teh tactics, and the fact that Team Crow works for the Church (although in the book, Crow reports directly to the pope), and some of the scenes are the same.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

SightblinderX wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Yes. Completely.
I believe it says so in the credits.
And the names are often the same (Jack Crow, Father Adam, etc), and teh tactics, and the fact that Team Crow works for the Church (although in the book, Crow reports directly to the pope), and some of the scenes are the same.

Huh...well, learn something new everyday...

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire%24
:)

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Keldonus wrote:Not a movie, but the novel House of Leaves. Holy crap. Scariest thing I've ever encountered. In the period I was reading it, I was nervous all the time, day or night, reading it or not. I hated having my back exposed, and didn't enjoy being home alone, especially in the basement (where I slept at the time). A friend who read it taped his closet door shut, and suffered from a similar nervousness.

Extremely good.

One of my favorite books. :)

Chuck Lang
Dungeon Crawler

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Keldonus wrote:Not a movie, but the novel House of Leaves. Holy crap. Scariest thing I've ever encountered. In the period I was reading it, I was nervous all the time, day or night, reading it or not. I hated having my back exposed, and didn't enjoy being home alone, especially in the basement (where I slept at the time). A friend who read it taped his closet door shut, and suffered from a similar nervousness.

Extremely good.

One of my favorite books. :)

Yep, it's up there for me too. I wouldn't say I was scared reading it, but it was suspenseful and intriguing; that's pretty much as close as I can get to scared when reading something. I think I'm too analyitical, but it definitely did "suck me in."
Rayven
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rayven »

ash_wednesday wrote:
Debbie does Dallas

D20 Book of Erotic Fantasy takes that movie to a whole new level. :P
listen to Rayven.~Becky

897 Geek points

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”