The big pre-Rifts equipment thread

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

The big pre-Rifts equipment thread

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Want to help avoid Chaos Earth/Rifts continuity errors? Here's your chance. As has been noted, I'm writing a couple of sourcebooks for Chaos Earth at the moment, the second of which deals largely with the pre-Rifts military. We all know that there is information scattered throughout Rifts about Golden Age military technology (or any technology, for that matter). What I need help on is running it all down.

What to post:

- Specific items from any Rifts title that explicitly states that it is a pre-Rifts item. Please cite the item name/number/title/etc. as well as the book and page number.

- Items from Rifts that are "based on" pre-Rifts technology or items. Again, please cite the source.

- Information on pre-Rifts corporations, governments, militaries, and defense contractors.

- North American stuff is preferable, but anything is useful.

Beyond that, the most important thing to know is whether or not the item is exclusive to one group of another.

Thanks in advance for all the help! I've got some stuff already gathered up that I'll post here later.

:ok:
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

Get RIFTS MERC OPS and the equipment Section there is pretty good for using...
it has field rations to everyday items.

as for stuff being pre rifst: South america 1/2 and Underseas.. the legion and New Navy are all pre rifts.
Jason Richards

Gomen_Nagai wrote:Get RIFTS MERC OPS and the equipment Section there is pretty good for using...
it has field rations to everyday items.

as for stuff being pre rifst: South america 1/2 and Underseas.. the legion and New Navy are all pre rifts.

Right, but what I need is a LIST. It's not a matter of not having the books, but of not being physically able to catch every single little thing.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Gomen_Nagai

Unread post by Gomen_Nagai »

i didn't want to Go listing, i am in the middle of Spreadsheeting equipment myself.. .Well I will be after this weekend
Jason Richards

Gomen_Nagai wrote:i didn't want to Go listing, i am in the middle of Spreadsheeting equipment myself.. .Well I will be after this weekend

:ok:

Jason Richards

FYI, I'm pretty much limited to using Rifts stuff, due to licensing issues. Some little background tidbits from HU, for example, are useful, but I can't use gear from those books.

Jason Richards

SkyStreak wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:FYI, I'm pretty much limited to using Rifts stuff, due to licensing issues. Some little background tidbits from HU, for example, are useful, but I can't use gear from those books.

That's kind of weird.

Then, if I were you, I wouldn't directly contradict anything in them, or you'll face the wrath of the fanboys!

Exactly right. I want to try to avoid contradictions... I just can't directly port anything over.

Jason Richards

SkyStreak wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:
SkyStreak wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:FYI, I'm pretty much limited to using Rifts stuff, due to licensing issues. Some little background tidbits from HU, for example, are useful, but I can't use gear from those books.

That's kind of weird.

Then, if I were you, I wouldn't directly contradict anything in them, or you'll face the wrath of the fanboys!

Exactly right. I want to try to avoid contradictions... I just can't directly port anything over.

There would be debate as to whether any information from HU truly background info for Rifts anyway, but what about Mutants in Orbit? That is basically Rifts: Space? I would think that any Rifts info from that book would be 'canon.'

Mutants in Orbit should be no problem. I've used parts of it extensively already.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Fort Alaska number 15 in the preserves list pg. 208 of Spirit West
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jason Richards

Thanks for all your work, SkyStreak. Once I'm done with my current secret project I'll be back on Chaos Earth and will compile a comprehensive list with my thoughts.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

So is this going to see the light of day? I would really like some more Chaos Earth stuff. I don't like the Chaos earth setting, but I likeimporting it into Rifts!!!
Jason Richards

This meaning Chaos Earth? If so, then yes. I'm working on two books right now.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

This meaning the pre-Rifts equipment sourcematerial...

I would like to see a book that streamlines Pre-Rifts American Military Supplies...

There is different stuff in Index 2, Underseas, MercOps, Canada, and Chaos Earth...

However, a Chaos Earth supplement could fill this role as well.

If anyone hasn't noted it...there is an adventure in Index 2 that gives the stats for some generic American Empire equipment. This could be some extra armor and weapons that came immediately prior to the NEMA equipment (they are fairly advanced-on par with Triax/Japan)
Jason Richards

shadrak wrote:This meaning the pre-Rifts equipment sourcematerial...

I would like to see a book that streamlines Pre-Rifts American Military Supplies...

There is different stuff in Index 2, Underseas, MercOps, Canada, and Chaos Earth...

However, a Chaos Earth supplement could fill this role as well.

If anyone hasn't noted it...there is an adventure in Index 2 that gives the stats for some generic American Empire equipment. This could be some extra armor and weapons that came immediately prior to the NEMA equipment (they are fairly advanced-on par with Triax/Japan)

While some pre-Rifts equipment stats will see print in the Chaos Earth books, I don't have any plans to do some sort of "Chaos Earth Equipment" book.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Dang!!!
Jason Richards

shadrak wrote:Dang!!!

Come on now... there are scarcely a few hundred pages of material so far. A little early for a book exclusively full of toys, isn't it?

Don't sweat it too bad. The second of the books will have lots of gear in it, including much of the above.

shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

LOL...well, I am not so worried about a Chaos Earth book...I just want a book that allows for continuity in Rifts...and I don't think Rifts has it. I was hoping your book would provide it (example: pre-Rifts American Empire gear varies between the New Navy, GAW, Index II, Chaos Earth, Canada, etc.)

What I would like is a "Scavenger's Guide to North America" for Rifts. The ley lines erupt 92 years in the future, but we see tech from 20 and 30 years ago in GAW designs, and from the immediate period before the rifts (NEMA types). Recently in Merc Ops, we saw some from the generation before.

What I want is the generations between and something that explains why the New Navy's personal equipment is crap.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That makes a lot of sense to have that sort of book. And mabye something that maps the technology development between here and then. That will allow a larger variety of stuff that might have been obsolete before the Rifts occured, but still might have survived the coming due to it's durability.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Rifter 27 has pre-Rifts British weapons.
Jason Richards

shadrak wrote:Rifter 27 has pre-Rifts British weapons.

I'll probably use it should I ever cross the sea, but I'm focusing on North America for a while.

Jason Richards

Darque wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:
shadrak wrote:Dang!!!

Come on now... there are scarcely a few hundred pages of material so far. A little early for a book exclusively full of toys, isn't it?

Don't sweat it too bad. The second of the books will have lots of gear in it, including much of the above.

Will there be a list of anything not used? For those who don't follow the forums and thus won't have access to this thread?

I think most anything of any significance will be in the manuscript. Anything in North America, anyway.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”