Do I need the sourcebooks?

Chaos Earth is here & now. Let the Chaos ensue.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marcantony
Adventurer

Do I need the sourcebooks?

Unread post by Marcantony »

I just got Chaos Earth as part of my grabbag and was wondering do I really need the other 2 sourcebooks?

It actually seems like I could use material from Systems Failure with this. I dont mean the bugs but rather the setting stuff.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well the main CE book doesn't include any monsters or magic. If you can fill that with other Rifts material then no you don't really need them. However both sourcebooks are pretty good and add a bit more to the setting.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Yeah, I'm kind-of waiting for Psychic Storm (I know :roll: ) before I start a CE campaign. I would like to have all of the bases covered with the unique CE material (if at all possible). However, just as with most PB games, the core book is really the only thing you NEED. As long as you are willing to put a little work into it and mine for some meconium, then you can pull of a CE campaign out of the base book.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

No, you can get by without the Sourcebooks.
Although, you may find yourself relying heavily on the Conversion Books (I recommend Dark Conversion for monsters) and other Rifts titles.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
PhellaOne

Unread post by PhellaOne »

Warwolf wrote:Yeah, I'm kind-of waiting for Psychic Storm (I know :roll: ) before I start a CE campaign. I would like to have all of the bases covered with the unique CE material (if at all possible). However, just as with most PB games, the core book is really the only thing you NEED. As long as you are willing to put a little work into it and mine for some meconium, then you can pull of a CE campaign out of the base book.

Wise words. Yet I would have to add imagination and information (real-world) to the VERY short list of things you NEED. Kevin (and the rest of PB for that matter) only provide a focus, a set of rules on which to base and expand your storytelling abilities. "Limited only by your imagination" I believe is the slogan. Very wise words, coming from the man who first developed it. And even wiser and more noble in the effort to unleash the power of the imagination. What do YOU (the Ref and players) think? Try to answer some of the questions in-house? Ask your group. It doesn't have to be direct. Just try to get a feel for some of their opinions, listen. What makes sense to US (anyone outside of your group) may not make sense to YOU (anyone in your group). It can be alot of fun trying to fill in the blanks. If you have other Rift books, you can draw on that. What was it like trying to deal with a world gone mad, what technology can you picture in the year 2098AD.? These are the obvious questions, but you'd be surprised how many answers you can come up with when you ask the right questions? If you're worried about how things are going to work out when you finally get the books and things aren't the way you played them out, I'll give you a bit of advise... DON'T worry. You're imaginative and creative. You wouldn't be playing these games if you weren't in the first place, let alone refereeing. To be a Ref takes an especially creative imagination before anything else. Setting the tone, providing the situation and causing the conflict is what makes for good stories, and if you can do that, you'll be just fine. Do what I do, when PB takes too long to write something up, make it up yourself. You can always write in what you added and already played, you know how to make it acceptable to your group, and if not, you should. After all, it's your game, you guys bought it, you guys play it and you guys create it. Let your imagination loose, you'd be surprised how it all works out. You should always try to create the Megaverse, not just play in it. Now... I dare you to write a story, you might like it. -Phella One- aka. The Palladium Librarian, Storytella Supreme
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Although not essential, the two Sourcebooks are still great to have, especially if you want Chaos Earth specific monsters & magic.

~ Josh
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Although not essential, the two Sourcebooks are still great to have, especially if you want Chaos Earth specific monsters & magic.

~ Josh

I was very confused by your rant till I realized it was a new poster. :D

Personally, I rather enjoyed both of the CE sourcebooks. They had lots of yummy bits in them - but you can definitely get by without them. But you shouldn't. But you can.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Return to “Rifts®: Chaos Earth™”