Beta Bomb-Bay Attack "Bits", fan-creation

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Beta Bomb-Bay Attack "Bits", fan-creation

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Designation: Multi-Role Disposable Drone
Station: Beta Bomb Bay Rack (each one replaces a "light" bomb in 2E or just a bomb in 1E)
Diameter: ~203mm
Length: ~457mm
Volume: Aprrox. 0.0148m^3 in Total (will need to subtract out for slight egg shape and for material thickness)

The Beta's Multi-Role Disposable Drone utilizes a heavily modified Bomb Casing that can be configured for a variety of roles internally, and externally it was modified with a self-powered track system allowing it to "repel" or "drive" down and navigate the Beta's Bomb-Bay Chutes for deployment in space, sensors detect when the Drone is released from the internal rack activating a set of wheels that will propel it down the chute and once it detects it is not in contact with the chute walls for two continuous seconds it will then activate the "payload" and switch modes to whatever it has been configured as. This wheeled system allows deployment in microgravity (0-G) conditions as the wheels come into contact with the walls allowing them to "drive" on them, they do function in a gravity-based environment but will require the chute to be facing down (this cuts ROF by half if not flying level). The system was developed as part of the VF-X-7 program and revived with the VF-X-9 where it entered production. However due to its higher production cost, production was limited and there never seemed to be enough of them for space operations.

The unit can be configured as:
-a smart missile (SRM) and can take its targeting cue from the launch platform, or a remote designator, or autonomously with a preprogrammed mission (can be adjusted just prior to release/launch).
-a recon sensor platform (either orbital satellite or surface station) with enough power for 48hrs of operation for tactical operations (a longer duration strategic version does exist, but seldom used since a full-fledged satellite will be more capable than anything you could put into one of these).
-a Space Mine, this is similar to the Smart Missile (MRM warhead) only it trades the main propulsion of the missile for more explosives with very limited maneuverability/range. 48hrs after deployment the unit will self-detonate as it's battery life will expire, though the time can be set shorter. The self-detonation is partly to create a self-area-clearing mine due to orbital mechanics the mine field will "drift apart" (off hand I'm not sure if 48hrs is to generous or stingy, so if you feel a wider margin is more appropriate feel free to adjust).
-a cargo pallet for emergency supplies that can fit into the volume along with a parachute system (this is intended for atmospheric use). Available supplies are limited to ammunition (EClips, Mini Missiles, grenades), medical, food/water/air, and repair parts (it is estimated that 4x fully loaded Beta's worth of Cargo Drones, 4x16, could carry a disassembled Cyclone (by volume), barring any oversized weapons or components like an HRG-70 Rail Gun).
-a strafing gun platform. Utilizing UEEF heavy infantry weaponry the drone will fire continuously on a target(s) until ammunition is expended before finally ramming the/an enemy target. The drone utilizes modified SMART missile avionics and a propulsion system derived from a missile, along with modified programming (related to firing of the infantry weapons). Rare.
-Extend Range Short Range Missile utilizing a Short Range Missile Motor with Mini-Missile Warhead, the use of the lighter mass warhead will double the normal range of the SRM motor (IMPORTANT NOTE: remember this comes at the expense of damage potential, I also just went with a generic x2 modifier for range feel free to adjust).
-two Drones are deployed and dock creating a Medium Range Missile. The resulting missile has a minimum targeting range of 5km (IF using 1E drop this down to 2.5km) to allow the two drones time to dock once they clear the Beta (this doesn't reduce the technical number of drones carried, but due to the docking requirement practically speaking you have 1/2 capacity). One drone is configured as a medium range missile's propulsion system with docking and limited guidance, and the second is configured similar to a space mine, both have docking equipment. Experimental use of the approach beyond two drone docking is underway, though these experimental are some time off from being ready for regular use (I don't have anything particular in mind here myself for this but put it out there so GM's don't feel limited) and some other experimental dual combinations are also being explored (again nothing specific).

Notes:
-the calculated Diameter, Length and Volume. These assume the height of a man at 170cm from a reference picture, common for Japan in the 1983, and not 179cm for American of the period (if we swap to an American then the diameter becomes 214mm and 481mm long with 0.0173m^3 of volume). All values should be considered approximate.
-the wheel system does have some precedent in the real world. A rail track system is used on the ISS (externally it allows the robot arm to be moved about), so a wheeled system can be designed to work in microgravity. Now the Beta's Chute and the ISS truss mounted rail system are two very different environments, so there might be some need to adjust the Drone's means of motion in the chute, but the principle is valid.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”