A simple fix for the VF-1V Vindicator? (1st Edition)

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

A simple fix for the VF-1V Vindicator? (1st Edition)

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Quick Notes:
1. Unless otherwise indicated, I am looking at this from a 1E PB RT RPG POV, and the 1E RPG is to be considered an Alternate Universe from the Canon Universe for the purposes of this thread
2. While the Animation shows a "Giant Alpha" that is the basis for VF-1V, it appears to be an Animation Error. However, that is only as it applies to the Canon Universe and not the 1E RT RPG Universe.

Simplified VF-1V Issues Fix in the 1st Edition RPG
Known issues with the way Palladium wrote/illustrated the VF-1V concept in the 1E RPG (Book 5: Invid Invasion, Robotech II: Sentinels) appear in three areas:
-1. Stats
-2. Artwork/Illustrations
-3. Background Information/Description

Part1A: Stats
I do not really see an issue with the Game Mechanical Stats as presented given the system is largely arbitrary in what a value looks like. The Dimensions and Performance stats are a possible issue, subject to POV and might need some adjustments depending on fixes used later.

Given this is supposed to be part of the VF-1 family, a fix would be to simply replace the VF-1V dimensions with those of the regular VF-1s (possibly even the Super version depending on you see other fixes being done) but leave the mass (due to increased armor and MM-70 that are not present on the baseline version).

Performance revisions could be justified if the REF replaced the original engines with their multi-year fuel supply with a new engine utilizing the PC-Cells.

Part1B: Artwork/Illustrations
This is really the easiest to "fix". The unit is not actually depicted in the RT RPG, and the images normally associated with it should just be considered "regular Alpha" depictions that were used in place of new artwork (or recycling the VF-1 w/o the new weapon systems).

What the unit looks like ironically could be considered a "trimmed down" version of the VF-1MS from the Macross II RPG line (found in the SB), just drop: spear/shield, hip & shoulder guns, one of its two gunpods, and the retractable "helmet" and you're basically left with a VF-1 that was modified with conformal/internal missile launchers (the MM-70) that also had its various lasers (head & jet) removed. Though if adapting the approach in Part1C, you might be able to justify additional alterations to include features for testing that bring the VF-1V closer to the VF-1MS in terms of features (a lot easier to justify from a 2E POV than 1E IMHO).

Part1C: Background Information.
As Part A and B show, here one would basically drop any reference to it being basically a giant Alpha, to a VF-1 model that utilizes Alpha technology like the conformal/internal launchers that does not require the use of an actual Alpha frame. The Shadow Device and Disrupters could be late model additions. The REF may have used the VF-1 as a test bed for these newer technologies before migrating them to the smaller Alpha frame and was impressed enough with the results to bring the unit into regular use as part of a Service Life Extension program(s) to maintain the VF-1's viability on the evolving battlefield.
Sambot
Adventurer

Re: A simple fix for the VF-1V Vindicator? (1st Edition)

Unread post by Sambot »

I think I would rename the Vindicator to VVF-1X and change it's and a few other veritech's backstories some.

I'd have the Vindicator produced earlier as the intended replacement to the VF-1 Valkyrie. It would combine the Super and Armor packs into a single fighter. It would largely be replaced by the VAF-6 Alpha in an effort to reduce the size of REF mecha. The VF-1X from Strike Force remains as the first Alpha Fighter but I'd rename it to VAF-1X Alpha. It gets replaced by later versions of the Alpha Fighter.

Because of issues with the VBF-1 Beta, I'd have the VDF- I A Delta "Super Alpha" Fighter be developed. (It's in the revised Return of the Masters book.) However, the Super Alpha's performance wasn't 100% satisfactory, so the REF continued to use the VVF-1 Vindicator as the Alpha's big brother until the VBF-1 Beta was ready. Later I'd have many of the retired Vindicators repurposed as the VVF-2X to test shadow technology and destabilizer cannons. The Shadow Vindicator would be a success and the new VAF-6X Shadow Alpha would be based on it. Do to a shortage of VAF-6Xs many VVF-1Xs are sent to Earth.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”