Macross 1E: Destroid missile salvoes got hosed.

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

thorr-kan
Adventurer

Macross 1E: Destroid missile salvoes got hosed.

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I was going through the original 1E RPG this weekeed to review some things for the #CharaterCreationChallenge, and I discovered something very strange. No Destroid, besides the Spartan with its drum arms, can launch a salvo of more than two missiles at a time. So much for not dodging Destroid missiles.

Now, I know that can't be right. I gamed a Gladiator vs a Female Power Armor in middle school, and the Gladiator *won.* But only because I got initiative with a missile salvo that the FPA failed to shoot down and was unable to roll with impact. I know I didn't misread the Gladiator description. But I sold my original hardcopies years ago for food money; my current hard copies are the second time I've acquired this collection.

So I cracked open my PDF for a second opinion. And, lo! The Gladiator there can salvo missiles in groups of 1, 2, or 4. And that's the only mecha that changed the missile rate of fire! I knew I wasn't crazy!

My current hardcopy doesn't show what printing it is, and the copyright date is 1986. The PDF is dated 2017, and based on the 10th physical printing, 1998.

So is there any record of errata/changes between the printing?
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Re: Macross 1E: Destroid missile salvoes got hosed.

Unread post by Jefffar »

There is no changelog.

Something I will point out is that the missile ROFs are generally per launch system, with the two shoulder packs being seperate systems thus doubling the number of simultaneous missiles fired.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Unread post by thorr-kan »

Jefffar wrote:There is no changelog.

I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised.

Jefffar wrote:Something I will point out is that the missile ROFs are generally per launch system, with the two shoulder packs being separate systems thus doubling the number of simultaneous missiles fired.

In 1E, if weapons systems can be fire-linked, it usually calls that out in the weapon system (cf. Return of the Masters and Strike Force). But yeah, that would always be a possibilitiy.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Actually, the 1E RDF Excaliber Destroid was limited to volleys of 1 or 2 for all 3 of its guided missile complement, which is odd because it looks like the Gladiator and Tomahawk share the same shoulder missile pod (Gladiator can fire 1,2,4). The only other RDF Destroid with a Volley of 1 or 2 was the Crusader, all others allow volleys of at least 4. It's also not an issue for the REF Destroids.

I don't know of any changelogs, though I have heard (but cannot confirm) that in the 1E some earlier printings allowed the Armored Add-on to be used with the Super Veritech (which PB treated as a separate design instead of as an add-on).

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”