ROBOTECH CONTINUITY - GENERAL GUIDELINE

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RobotechMaster
D-Bee
Location: Robotech Research Group, New Macross Defence Institute

ROBOTECH CONTINUITY - GENERAL GUIDELINE

Unread post by RobotechMaster »

Without further ado, a general guideline for Robotech Continuity for GMs (yeah, research purposes):

OFFICIAL CONTINUITY (ROBOTECH CANON):

- Original 85 episodes of Robotech TV series
- Codename Robotech (Robotech feature TV movie)
- Robotech II The Sentinels - Movie

- Robotech Comics by Comico:
The Macross Saga
Masters Special
The Masters
The New Generation

- Robotech Comics by Wildstorm (DC Comics) :
Robotech: From The Stars
Robotech: Love & War
Robotech: Invasion
Robotech: Prelude to The Shadow Chronicles

- Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Movie
- Robotech: Love Live Alive Movie
- Robotech Infopedia on http://www.robotech.com

SEMI-OFFICIAL CANON*:
*(Subject to change depending on HG; please note this list is still disputed & some are included via association / elements heavily used / implied in Official canon)

- Robotech RPG 2nd Edition by Palladium Books
- Robotech RPG Tactics by Palladium / Ninja Division
- Robotech RPG 3rd Edition by Strange Machine Games & Savage Worlds Ed. by Battlefield Press
- Robotech: The Untold Story Movie
- Robotech Battlecry console game
- Robotech Invasion console game
- Robotech II The Sentinels Comics serialization by Waltrip Bros (Eternity Comics / Academy Comics)
- Original Source Material (OSM) from SDF Macross / SDC Southern Cross / GC Mospeada
- Robotech Art I / II / III by Starblaze - Donning
- The Art of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles by Stone Bridge Press

SECONDARY CONTINUITY:

- Robotech RPG 1st Edition by Palladium Books
- Robotech Novelisation by Jack McKinney (Del Rey)
- Robotech Comics by various publishers (Eternity / Academy / Antartic Press)
- Robotech/Voltron Comic by Dynamite DC - Robotech / Event Horizon / Remix reboot Comic series by Titan
- Robotech 3000 (failed demo for Robotech sequel)
- Robotech Academy (failed Kickstarter for Robotech sequel)

Feel free to discuss.

Disclaimer: This is only a guide, never meant as a gospel of truth or otherwise. FANS ARE FREE TO ENJOY EVERY ITERATIONS OF ROBOTECH-VERSE TO THEIR OWN PREFERENCES
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: ROBOTECH CONTINUITY - GENERAL GUIDELINE

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Robotech: The Untold Story Movie is not secondary canon, I'm not even sure if it has ever been canon.

I would argue that the McKinney Novels and the 1E PB RPG are both in separate universes given they both use a different timeline placement of the events of New Generation in the early/mid 2030s than the current canon place it in the early 2040s.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Re: ROBOTECH CONTINUITY - GENERAL GUIDELINE

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

RobotechMaster wrote:Without further ado, a general guideline for Robotech Continuity for GMs (yeah, research purposes):

OFFICIAL CONTINUITY (ROBOTECH CANON):

Officially, Robotech II: the Sentinels is not canon. Rather, the entire Sentinels story arc is on "broad strokes continuity", meaning that the basic events "happened" but there is no canonical depiction of those events.

RobotechMaster wrote:SEMI-OFFICIAL CANON*:

Most of what you have listed here is just plain non-canon by design... only Robotech: Battlecry has ever been treated as semi-canon by Harmony Gold. Invasion may have been intended to be, but they seem to have abandoned the idea after it didn't sell very well.

Robotech: the Untold Story was disowned by Carl Macek himself and is very definitely not any kind of canon.

Harmony Gold has, however, treated the OSM as a highly authoritative resource for most Robotech purposes and occasionally placed its influence higher than many Robotech works.

None of the pre-2001 comics are any kind of canon per Harmony Gold's official statement on the matter back in '06. Prelude did briefly reference the ending of the Waltrip Sentinels series but the entire Sentinels arc explicitly has no canonical material.

Robotech Art I, II, and III were also explicitly punted from canon after the franchise was rebooted. The setting materials therein were thrown out in their entirety.

RobotechMaster wrote:SECONDARY CONTINUITY:

You mean "Non-canon"... Harmony Gold publicly disowned the novels and comics from the Robotech setting when they rebooted the franchise in '01. The failed sequel attempts are generally not even acknowledged once the fact of their failure is made public.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”