P.P. Bonus to Ranged Attacks - Is It My Imagination?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TheOldDragoon
D-Bee

P.P. Bonus to Ranged Attacks - Is It My Imagination?

Unread post by TheOldDragoon »

So, I got into Robotech with the first edition back in the 80s. In fact, it was the very first RPG I purchased with my own money- I had been gifted D&D, Traveller, and more, but I bought Robotech because I loved the show.

I seem to remember that in the first edition, P.P. bonuses were not stated to be for melee only. I don't think it was that way in BTS, TMNT or Ninjas & Superspies back in the day, either. I've looked through my original Macross book, and I can't find a reference to P.P. not applying. It seems to me that it would be hard to make a character like Max Sterling who is just a natural if nothing allows one character to get a better bonus with ranged combat than any other, given the same training. Like, how does Max make that incredible shot with his head lasers when Rick tells Ben not to waste ammo, and Max says something like "What if it's not a waste?" and pots a couple of pods from extreme range?

Anyway... Just trying to reconcile my memory with the books. 2nd Edition certainly has that verbiage, but I don't see it in 1st Edition.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: P.P. Bonus to Ranged Attacks - Is It My Imagination?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Pulling out the 1E Robotech Main RPG, no PP bonuses are stated to not be applicable for ranged combat (pg77, specifically to modern weapons, which in PB terminology equates to ranged weapons), HOWEVER for MECHA COMBAT (pg36) a HIGH PP is said to be factored in. In 1E it really would depend on which type of ranged attacks you have in mind.
TheOldDragoon
D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:Pulling out the 1E Robotech Main RPG, no PP bonuses are stated to not be applicable for ranged combat (pg77, specifically to modern weapons, which in PB terminology equates to ranged weapons), HOWEVER for MECHA COMBAT (pg36) a HIGH PP is said to be factored in. In 1E it really would depend on which type of ranged attacks you have in mind.

There it is. Buried in the equipment section...

Thanks.
foilfodder
Explorer

Unread post by foilfodder »

ShadowLogan wrote:Pulling out the 1E Robotech Main RPG, no PP bonuses are stated to not be applicable for ranged combat (pg77, specifically to modern weapons, which in PB terminology equates to ranged weapons), HOWEVER for MECHA COMBAT (pg36) a HIGH PP is said to be factored in. In 1E it really would depend on which type of ranged attacks you have in mind.

TheOldDragoon wrote:
There it is. Buried in the equipment section...

Thanks.

Just wanted to add a few more tidbits to the rolling to Strike clarifications.

As previous posters have noted:
1) Robotech RPG p. 36 under "Strike Bonuses" paragraph states that bonuses from high Physical Prowess as well as both Hand to Hand skill and Mecha Combat skill effectively stack. There are exceptions.
2) Robotech RPG p. 77 under "Notes on Modern Conventional Weapons" states under "Strike Bonus" that Physical Prowess and "other" strike bonuses do not apply, only the W.P. does.

Robotech RPG p. 35 under "Determining the Number of Attacks per Melee and Combat Bonuses" paragraph three contains a specific example, totaling Dodge bonus from both the Hand-to-Hand Combat skill and the Mecha Combat skill. So most readers would assume you do the same for all other bonuses and you would be correct except for Strike bonuses, which have even more exceptions...

- Modern/Ranged attacks (example a rifle) are handled by the Modern W.P. skills which are stated specially not to stack with Hand to Hand, Mecha Combat or P.P. Strike bonus (Robotech RPG p. 30 2nd paragraph)
- Mecha "Weapon Systems" (example mecha lasers mounted on the head) are handled by the Weapons Systems skill under Pilot Related catagory has a specific static bonus (Robotech RPG p. 29)
- Missiles and Guided Missiles are another special case for Strike rolls handled on page 37 of the rulebook

I'm not 100% sure on how to put all this information together, but here is my attempt:
- character with a punch or kick, etc: Hand to Hand bonus + Physical Prowess bonus
- character with a melee weapon: Hand to Hand bonus + Physical Prowess bonus + Ancient W.P. bonus
- Mecha with punch or kick, etc: Hand to Hand bonus + Physical Prowess bonus + Mecha Combat bonus
- Mecha with melee weapon: Hand to Hand bonus + Physical Prowess bonus + Mecha Combat bonus + Ancient W.P. bonus
- character at range with a Modern W.P. weapon : the W.P. bonus only*
- Mecha using a Modern W.P. weapon : the W.P. bonus only*
- Mecha using a built-in weapon such as mounted cannon or turret : Weapon Systems only*
- Mecha using a missile : the specific missile strike bonus only (guided, unguided or "smart")

*some bonuses may be granted by other sources, such as a character using the Multi-Optics helmet or a special bonus such as noted for the Commanchero (RPG page 74) related to "all weapons".
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
TheOldDragoon
D-Bee

foilfodder wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Just wanted to add a few more tidbits to the rolling to Strike clarifications.

Thanks!

Sorry it took me this long to reply - I had open heart surgery on 28 JUN, so you posted this the day after I got my new zipper installed. ;)

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”