This seem a big positive news

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Baron of chaos
Champion

This seem a big positive news

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... ch/.171570

Remain to be seen how it will develop.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: This seem a big positive news

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Already been posted:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=173997
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Already been posted:
https://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewt ... 9&t=173997

Oopss didn' t noticed it sorry. I was just so surprised tha ti rished without checking it.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

different sources. so its all fine.

Thou the source associated with this topic also has anime related news. ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Interesting. I wonder if we'll get RPGs for the original series.
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Sambot wrote:Interesting. I wonder if we'll get RPGs for the original series.

It's not impossible... though the Japanese market tends more towards video games rather than "traditional" ones, and that's what the Japanese IP owners are going to be biased to.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Sambot wrote:Interesting. I wonder if we'll get RPGs for the original series.

It's not impossible... though the Japanese market tends more towards video games rather than "traditional" ones, and that's what the Japanese IP owners are going to be biased to.

True but they'd also be looking at their market. Some people would buy the books just for the information.

I won't hold my breath but I will hope. :)
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Sambot wrote:True but they'd also be looking at their market. Some people would buy the books just for the information.

Granted, a lot of Robotech fans bought the RPG as a sort of ersatz tech manual and artbook...

Though since Big West has announced it plans to release official artbooks in the west, I suspect that itch will be scratched more directly?

Fan-made supplements will be there in the meantime.

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
mech798
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by mech798 »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Sambot wrote:True but they'd also be looking at their market. Some people would buy the books just for the information.

Granted, a lot of Robotech fans bought the RPG as a sort of ersatz tech manual and artbook...

Though since Big West has announced it plans to release official artbooks in the west, I suspect that itch will be scratched more directly?

I think this would be a good time for a western RPG company to try to secure the rights. They might be relatively inexpensive and I think we're going to see a surge in Macross popularity, given how many people who don't have access to ah, the traditional channels to get stuff that can't be sold in the US are going to be seeing this stuff for the first time.

I
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Seto Kaiba wrote:

That would be cool. Would they be in English?

mech798 wrote:I think this would be a good time for a western RPG company to try to secure the rights. They might be relatively inexpensive and I think we're going to see a surge in Macross popularity, given how many people who don't have access to ah, the traditional channels to get stuff that can't be sold in the US are going to be seeing this stuff for the first time.
I

That would be my hope. I also hope that it's a game I can play.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

mech798 wrote:I think this would be a good time for a western RPG company to try to secure the rights. They might be relatively inexpensive and I think we're going to see a surge in Macross popularity, given how many people who don't have access to ah, the traditional channels to get stuff that can't be sold in the US are going to be seeing this stuff for the first time.

It would... though the divided ownership of the original series and the first movie[sup]1[/sup] are going to remain an issue for a while yet. So a proper Macross RPG would either have to skip the First Space War, employ some shenanigans to get around Harmony Gold's ownership of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross license, or convince Harmony Gold to collaborate with them on their RPG license for the First Space War-era (which would probably mean the end of the Robotech RPG license for its current holders).

That said, a Macross RPG would have the opposite problem that the Robotech RPG has. Too much ground to cover in any concise format instead of so little that you can only get 2-3 actual books out of it without resorting to padding. I'm certainly no professional game-writer, but the last time I tried to break it down by content density for my homebrew Macross game back before Macross Delta I ended up with something on the order of 13 books.

Sambot wrote:That would be cool. Would they be in English?

Several recently-released Macross artbooks like the Shoji Kawamori Designer's Note were already given bilingual releases with both Japanese and English text over the last few years... but yes, they're talking about releasing new artbooks in English as well.

1. As the situation currently stands, Harmony Gold's license to the original Macross TV series is still valid so any merchandising ventures based on that part of the franchise would have to be a co-development by Harmony Gold and Big West.

Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Seto Kaiba wrote:It would... though the divided ownership of the original series and the first movie[sup]1[/sup] are going to remain an issue for a while yet. So a proper Macross RPG would either have to skip the First Space War, employ some shenanigans to get around Harmony Gold's ownership of the Super Dimension Fortress Macross license, or convince Harmony Gold to collaborate with them on their RPG license for the First Space War-era (which would probably mean the end of the Robotech RPG license for its current holders).

That said, a Macross RPG would have the opposite problem that the Robotech RPG has. Too much ground to cover in any concise format instead of so little that you can only get 2-3 actual books out of it without resorting to padding. I'm certainly no professional game-writer, but the last time I tried to break it down by content density for my homebrew Macross game back before Macross Delta I ended up with something on the order of 13 books.

I would hope that some kind of arrangement could be made.

13 or more books? That's a problem? :-D I would love to have a Macross RPG with that many books.

Are those actual books or just a list of possible books?

Sambot wrote:That would be cool. Would they be in English?

Several recently-released Macross artbooks like the Shoji Kawamori Designer's Note were already given bilingual releases with both Japanese and English text over the last few years... but yes, they're talking about releasing new artbooks in English as well.

YAY!!!

1. As the situation currently stands, Harmony Gold's license to the original Macross TV series is still valid so any merchandising ventures based on that part of the franchise would have to be a co-development by Harmony Gold and Big West.

I would hope something could be worked out.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Sambot wrote:I would hope that some kind of arrangement could be made.

We'll find out sooner or later.

Sambot wrote:13 or more books? That's a problem? :-D I would love to have a Macross RPG with that many books.

That number is what I came up with when I attempted to break my homebrew content up into individual sourcebooks a while back as part of a thought experiment on how a proper Macross RPG could end up being organized. Eight primary story/campaign books and five sourcebooks for various things like emigrant fleets, emigrant planets seen in canon, music and sporting events, and mecha customization. Given that there's been a new TV series, two new canon manga titles, and a new movie (soon to be two) since then that list could get bigger.

I guess it depends how much of a completionist whoever writes this hypothetical Macross RPG is.

Where I see a lot of problems coming in would be things like game balance between books. The relatively low level of technological advancement in a setting like Robotech or Gundam suits RPGs from a balance perspective since there aren't huge differences in weapon damage or armor strength along the entire timeline. In Macross, the pace of performance improvement is a pretty brisk one with the seventy or so years of timeline containing five Variable Fighter generations with pretty significant improvements in performance between them.

EDIT: To give the above some perspective, not only are there literally hundreds of models of VF to stat out, the disparity in performance across that spread can be as great as 3000% in some areas.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Considering the lengthy chats we've had, for my overhsul/rewrites of palladium robotech/macross, I'm honestly surprised your break down is only 13 books lol
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

jaymz wrote:Considering the lengthy chats we've had, for my overhsul/rewrites of palladium robotech/macross, I'm honestly surprised your break down is only 13 books lol

My definition of "one book's worth" of content might be a bit different from Palladium's?

Palladium likes nice, portable, softbound thin books. I like the nice, heavy, hardbound tomes with hundreds of pages that can be used as an improvised weapon if my players get uppity.

(Well, that and you know my love of detail... a game developer with a better appreciation for brevity could probably cut a lot of that down.)

The way I initially broke it down was:
  • The Unification Wars
    Content from Zero, Macross the First's flashback arc, SDF Macross Ep33
  • The First Space War
    Content from SDF Macross Ep1-27 and DYRL?
  • The First Space War: Aftermath
    Content from SDF Macross Ep28-36 and FB2012, plus setting guides for the postwar Sol system.
  • The New Era
    Content from Macross M3 and various world guide docs about the early emigrant fleets
  • Project Super Nova
    Content from Macross Plus and Macross Plus: Game Edition
  • The Protodeviln
    Content from Macross 7 TV and Macross 7: the Galaxy is Calling Me!
  • The Second Unification War
    Content from Macross Digital Mission VF-X, Macross VF-X2
  • Deculture Shock: Entertainment and Space Living in the New Era
    Content from Macross 7 Trash, Macross the Ride, Macross Dynamite 7, and setting guides to later generations of emigrant fleet, plus rules for Tornado Crash and Vanquish League races.
  • The Galaxy Conspiracy
    Content from Macross Frontier
  • Something Bad Happened to Spacetime
    Uroboros, the Fold Evil, the Dyaus, and the events of Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy
  • Valkyrie Works: VF Customization Rules
    Inspired by Macross the Ride, mainly.
  • New UN Government sourcebook
    (basically just an info/setting dump and world generator, probably in massive need of a rewrite due to Delta)
  • Alternate World
    Content from Macross 2036, Macross: Eternal Love Song, and Macross II

Macross FB7 and Macross Delta hadn't come out yet at the time I drafted this, so...

jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Breakdown makes sense
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
Sambot wrote:I would hope that some kind of arrangement could be made.

We'll find out sooner or later.

Yeah.

Sambot wrote:13 or more books? That's a problem? :-D I would love to have a Macross RPG with that many books.

That number is what I came up with when I attempted to break my homebrew content up into individual sourcebooks a while back as part of a thought experiment on how a proper Macross RPG could end up being organized. Eight primary story/campaign books and five sourcebooks for various things like emigrant fleets, emigrant planets seen in canon, music and sporting events, and mecha customization. Given that there's been a new TV series, two new canon manga titles, and a new movie (soon to be two) since then that list could get bigger.

I guess it depends how much of a completionist whoever writes this hypothetical Macross RPG is.

Did you ever post these any where?

Where I see a lot of problems coming in would be things like game balance between books. The relatively low level of technological advancement in a setting like Robotech or Gundam suits RPGs from a balance perspective since there aren't huge differences in weapon damage or armor strength along the entire timeline. In Macross, the pace of performance improvement is a pretty brisk one with the seventy or so years of timeline containing five Variable Fighter generations with pretty significant improvements in performance between them.

EDIT: To give the above some perspective, not only are there literally hundreds of models of VF to stat out, the disparity in performance across that spread can be as great as 3000% in some areas.

Just going by what's written on the website it shouldn't be too hard to show a progression in technology. Going beyond that? Things might need to be toned down a little for playability.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
jaymz wrote:Considering the lengthy chats we've had, for my overhsul/rewrites of palladium robotech/macross, I'm honestly surprised your break down is only 13 books lol

My definition of "one book's worth" of content might be a bit different from Palladium's?

Palladium likes nice, portable, softbound thin books. I like the nice, heavy, hardbound tomes with hundreds of pages that can be used as an improvised weapon if my players get uppity.

(Well, that and you know my love of detail... a game developer with a better appreciation for brevity could probably cut a lot of that down.)

The way I initially broke it down was:
  • The Unification Wars
    Content from Zero, Macross the First's flashback arc, SDF Macross Ep33
  • The First Space War
    Content from SDF Macross Ep1-27 and DYRL?
  • The First Space War: Aftermath
    Content from SDF Macross Ep28-36 and FB2012, plus setting guides for the postwar Sol system.
  • The New Era
    Content from Macross M3 and various world guide docs about the early emigrant fleets
  • Project Super Nova
    Content from Macross Plus and Macross Plus: Game Edition
  • The Protodeviln
    Content from Macross 7 TV and Macross 7: the Galaxy is Calling Me!
  • The Second Unification War
    Content from Macross Digital Mission VF-X, Macross VF-X2
  • Deculture Shock: Entertainment and Space Living in the New Era
    Content from Macross 7 Trash, Macross the Ride, Macross Dynamite 7, and setting guides to later generations of emigrant fleet, plus rules for Tornado Crash and Vanquish League races.
  • The Galaxy Conspiracy
    Content from Macross Frontier
  • Something Bad Happened to Spacetime
    Uroboros, the Fold Evil, the Dyaus, and the events of Macross 30: Voices Across the Galaxy
  • Valkyrie Works: VF Customization Rules
    Inspired by Macross the Ride, mainly.
  • New UN Government sourcebook
    (basically just an info/setting dump and world generator, probably in massive need of a rewrite due to Delta)
  • Alternate World
    Content from Macross 2036, Macross: Eternal Love Song, and Macross II

Macross FB7 and Macross Delta hadn't come out yet at the time I drafted this, so...

Sounds great. Are these published anywhere? I'd love to play.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

As far as I know he hasn't published any of it...though he has helped ME at length to allow me to make my stat rewrites of Robotech (and writing of various Macross mecha) as accurate as I think is possible within the confines of the Palladium system.

\m/
Seto Kaiba
Knight

jaymz wrote:As far as I know he hasn't published any of it...though he has helped ME at length to allow me to make my stat rewrites of Robotech (and writing of various Macross mecha) as accurate as I think is possible within the confines of the Palladium system.

Thus far, almost none of it has been published for general consumption.

Mainly because I'd have to actually organize it all in order to do that. That's the reason that breakdown is a thought exercise rather than a fact. I'd have to invest a lot of time collating everything from the hundreds of Microsoft Word and Wordpad documents it currently exists as and write up the fluff sections for each. What I have wasn't so much an intentional effort to make an RPG spanning all of Macross as a product of my regulars asking to play games set in different eras and having to run up stats while developing each game. Quite a bit of it requires rewriting too, to account for newer information that's come out since they were originally written.

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Seto Kaiba wrote:
jaymz wrote:As far as I know he hasn't published any of it...though he has helped ME at length to allow me to make my stat rewrites of Robotech (and writing of various Macross mecha) as accurate as I think is possible within the confines of the Palladium system.

Thus far, almost none of it has been published for general consumption.

Mainly because I'd have to actually organize it all in order to do that. That's the reason that breakdown is a thought exercise rather than a fact. I'd have to invest a lot of time collating everything from the hundreds of Microsoft Word and Wordpad documents it currently exists as and write up the fluff sections for each. What I have wasn't so much an intentional effort to make an RPG spanning all of Macross as a product of my regulars asking to play games set in different eras and having to run up stats while developing each game. Quite a bit of it requires rewriting too, to account for newer information that's come out since they were originally written.

My large pile of material for the EBSIS came about in a similar manner. It all started with the PCs deciding to steal a helicopter...
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
xunk16
Explorer

Unread post by xunk16 »

Jefffar wrote:My large pile of material for the EBSIS came about in a similar manner. It all started with the PCs deciding to steal a helicopter...

Now that's a story I'd want to hear. XD
I imagine the game information for this would be as unavailable as much of the fanmade material?
On the wrong forum, 30 years too late...
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

xunk16 wrote:
Jefffar wrote:My large pile of material for the EBSIS came about in a similar manner. It all started with the PCs deciding to steal a helicopter...

Now that's a story I'd want to hear. XD
I imagine the game information for this would be as unavailable as much of the fanmade material?

I had it about 50% ready for a submission to Palladium for a sourcebook idea in the old 1st Generation RT RPG. I even had gotten so far as to talking to Maryann about it and she advised me not to submit.

I was kind of crushed, but less than 6 weeks later they announced the end of the licence, so I realized it wasn't about what I was writing.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Seto Kaiba
Knight

Ah, the good old slippery slope... correcting the old Palladium Macross II is what got me translating in the first place, which led to a near-total rewrite of the game, so I can definitely sympathize. :lol:

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”