OCC Overview: The City Rat

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

desrocfc
Explorer
Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.

OCC Overview: The City Rat

Unread post by desrocfc »

The Bazaar #42: OCC Overview – The City Rat. A rather unique class, mostly playable in urban settings, facing significant penalties to their core skills and abilities if they stray too far from their ‘turf.’ They are also one of the few that details how to transition from one OCC to another; note, this is not dual-classing. Whether a hacker, Errol Flynn heroic sort, or a villainous gang member, there is a fair amount of role play potential. I get the Bladerunner/80’s German punk vibe from the class (which is great!), and it has extra material in Sourcebook 5: Bionics. The OCC faces some limitations, but does present some great adventure and campaign potential as well.

Full review at the link: please like and subscribe!

https://www.scholarlyadventures.com/pos ... w-city-rat

So, what did you think of the City Rat? Did the extras in SB5 make it worth considering?
Francois DesRochers

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]
EltonRobb
Wanderer

Re: OCC Overview: The City Rat

Unread post by EltonRobb »

I always thought that the city rat shined in an Urban setting. Like Chi-Town. Out in the Wilderness, the City Rat is out of his or her element and might not be a very good pic for a Wilderness campaign. (My campaign is set in the New West). When I first read Rifts back in 1990, the City Rat and the Vagabond looked too specialized for the wilderness adventures I was dreaming up. What I was dreaming up, the Wilderness Scout seemed to be the best choice (although my first Rifts PC was a shifter). I didn't give the City Rat a good look until I saw your blog post today.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: OCC Overview: The City Rat

Unread post by darthauthor »

I think the City Rat OCC is an iconic figure. Reminds me a lot of cyberpunk but a different kind of apcolipse. A occupation class that is a way of life.

Good for adventurers in a high tech city environment.

The "Right" character for computer hacking, Street Racing, Stealing cars, robbing banks, running drugs, guns, and contraband in general. A real Grand Theft Auto rpg potential class of character. Could be on either side of the law or even both if you want to play a dirty cop, criminal informant, or undercover.

Works best in an SDC setting.

Be sure to throw in street fights and underground fight clubs.

I'd like to play it if the other characters to keep it to the same level.

Return to “Rifts®”