Can you make your own Rifts planet?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Can you make your own Rifts planet?

Unread post by slade the sniper »

So, lets say that I am an evil extra-dimensional monster... and I want to make my "own" Rifts planet without having to deal with all the headache of conquering Earth.
Could I find a nice planet with ley lines (assuming those are not unique), well populated with sentients (about 10 billion+) make a calendar of the magical events of it (solstices, equinoxes, etc.) start my own religion ascribing magical value to X and Y... wait a thousand years, then kill off a huge portion of the population during a high magic time and hopefully have some rifts open up, then take over the planet with my space troops or something and voila, my own Rifts planet only a few thousand years in the making?

I ask because the planet Peryton in Shadow Chronicles seems similar (though a psionic version) of a mini-repeating rift like phenomenon such as a Fadetown.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Can you make your own Rifts planet?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

slade the sniper wrote:I ask because the planet Peryton in Shadow Chronicles seems similar (though a psionic version) of a mini-repeating rift like phenomenon such as a Fadetown.

Peryton IIRC was artificially maintained. As I recall (at least the novels, though its been decades since I read the Sentinels), the events are more like a roving random storm that resulted in a timewarp.

slade the sniper wrote:Could I find a nice planet with ley lines (assuming those are not unique), well populated with sentients (about 10 billion+) make a calendar of the magical events of it (solstices, equinoxes, etc.) start my own religion ascribing magical value to X and Y... wait a thousand years, then kill off a huge portion of the population during a high magic time and hopefully have some rifts open up, then take over the planet with my space troops or something and voila, my own Rifts planet only a few thousand years in the making?

Ley Lines are not unique to Rifts Earth or the Solar System (Mars and the Moon are known to have them), as megaversally you also have them on the Palladium World/Dimension, and mentioned in Phase World Setting (to name two) and have canonically been compared to Rifts Earth in terms of magical potential (Palladium World during the "Age of Chaos" is "easily ten times more powerful than0 Rifts Earth", then there is Suljack homeworld in Phaseworld).

The thing that made Rifts Earth souch a powerhouse was the convergence of events with a chance alignment and the mass death. So a few thousand years might be generous, but it would come down to the particular alignment rules of that star system based on its planets.

So in theory, yes you could "make a Rifts Planet". Though if you are just after the Rifts, it might be easier and faster to just colonize an "uninhabited world" with potent ley lines.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

slade the sniper wrote:So, lets say that I am an evil extra-dimensional monster... and I want to make my "own" Rifts planet without having to deal with all the headache of conquering Earth.
Could I find a nice planet with ley lines (assuming those are not unique), well populated with sentients (about 10 billion+) make a calendar of the magical events of it (solstices, equinoxes, etc.) start my own religion ascribing magical value to X and Y... wait a thousand years, then kill off a huge portion of the population during a high magic time and hopefully have some rifts open up, then take over the planet with my space troops or something and voila, my own Rifts planet only a few thousand years in the making?

I ask because the planet Peryton in Shadow Chronicles seems similar (though a psionic version) of a mini-repeating rift like phenomenon such as a Fadetown.

-STS

If you're powerful enough, you wouldn't have to wait for everything to align; just MOVE the planets and stars to be in the right alignment at your convenience.
:-D
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

slade the sniper wrote:So, lets say that I am an evil extra-dimensional monster... and I want to make my "own" Rifts planet without having to deal with all the headache of conquering Earth.

-STS

The Planetary Creation tables are in the Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide a HU gamebook.
The same book has the tables for building space- and starships.
There are also tables for creating non-human races.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Man, if you can move planets just to manipulate Ley lines, and are able to wait around for a few thousand years to see results...I'm wondering why you need a nexus world, because odds are, on the time scales you're operating on, you're already somebody most beings and cultures do NOT want to mess with.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

So, the short answer is that you can make your own Rifts World. Hmmmm, thanks.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

-STS

The Planetary Creation tables are in the Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide a HU gamebook.
The same book has the tables for building space- and starships.
There are also tables for creating non-human races.

Page 23 of the Galaxy Guide starts the planet creation rules, including random tables. But I usually like to pick my features when making a planet.
On Page 167 you start the fairly substantial ship creation rules.

I wanna believe the Rifts Dimension books also have planet and ship creation rules specific to the Three Galaxies, but I cant seem to find them. To be fair, I am mildly intoxicated right now.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shorty Lickens wrote:[

I wanna believe the Rifts Dimension books also have planet and ship creation rules specific to the Three Galaxies, but I cant seem to find them. To be fair, I am mildly intoxicated right now.

Anvil Galaxy, starting on page 139; World Builder's Toolbox.

Under Unusual/Special Features you can roll/choose Special Energy Field or Other and write in 'Magic Potential' if you so please.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”