Gargoyles, differnt types or one pure species?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GT
Explorer

Gargoyles, differnt types or one pure species?

Unread post by GT »

Gargoyles, slightly different or become one after the DB 10 universal binding! (Blame Modeus)

Differences between publications of Gargoyles can make one believe they are a slight subspecies due to habitat adaption, or they were given a slight up grade in the Hades Book. Like fire proof and type of sort of immortality.

1. Would all Gargoyles re-spawn in Hades even if they weren't hatched there? Or would it be just those who were hatched there, and others hatched other places would just not re-spawn else where?

2. The Fire proofing to various degrees in the Hades Book, would that be a local adaptation for Hades? Or a whole racial up grade of the latest printing. This question comes from the earlier books that never printed general fire proofing if gargoyles.

3. And would the fire proofing up grade make gargoyles immune to M.D.C. plasma weapons. (Given MDC lava damage probably not effect them, MDC plasma might not I think.)

Those were just a few minor questions that have popped up over the years.
SolCannibal
Champion

Re: Gargoyles, differnt types or one pure species?

Unread post by SolCannibal »

GT wrote:Gargoyles, slightly different or become one after the DB 10 universal binding! (Blame Modeus)

Differences between publications of Gargoyles can make one believe they are a slight subspecies due to habitat adaption, or they were given a slight up grade in the Hades Book. Like fire proof and type of sort of immortality.

Considering Prototypical Divine Abilities are a thing Demon Lords have some limited access to, i'd say either works depending on one's preferences, but would apply only to Gargoyles native to the dimension of Hades or who have sworn fealty or some sort of pact to the Demon Lords or Princes.

GT wrote:1. Would all Gargoyles re-spawn in Hades even if they weren't hatched there? Or would it be just those who were hatched there, and others hatched other places would just not re-spawn else where?

Most everybody in the forums seems to agree the whole "Gargoyles respawning like true demons in Hades" thing was an editing error in the first place, so not at all.

GT wrote:2. The Fire proofing to various degrees in the Hades Book, would that be a local adaptation for Hades? Or a whole racial up grade of the latest printing. This question comes from the earlier books that never printed general fire proofing if gargoyles.

Whichever you prefer, but as i pointed out previously, most probably NOT an universal upgrade to Gargoyles from other dimensions and unrelated to the forces of Hades. Damn, Gargoyles from Beyond the Supernatural don't even follow the base types we are familiar with in Rifts and PF books! Go check it out if you can!

GT wrote:3. And would the fire proofing up grade make gargoyles immune to M.D.C. plasma weapons. (Given MDC lava damage probably not effect them, MDC plasma might not I think.)

I'd say no, not really.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Candy wrote:I love the idea of even NGR gargoyles respawning in hades, helps to explain how they resist Dyval.

As I understand the rule only Gargoyles that are born in Hades return there after death. If they are born on Rifts Earth, as most Euro Gargoyles are, then if they are killed on Earth they will die permanently.

That is how I understand it, if I'm wrong I hope someone will post it.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

to address the title question.. i personally like the idea that all gargoyles are one species, just with a collection of dominant and recessive alleles that interact in multiple ways, producing the different varieties. personally i'd go even farther and have the Gurgoyles sometimes exhibit physical traits of the other types.

but Triax 2's section on how the NGR is targeting nests and hatcheries, it sounds like each type of gargoyle is either a seperate species, or they have some sort of eugenics program going on where each type only reproduces with their own kind.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

glitterboy2098 wrote:to address the title question.. i personally like the idea that all gargoyles are one species, just with a collection of dominant and recessive alleles that interact in multiple ways, producing the different varieties. personally i'd go even farther and have the Gurgoyles sometimes exhibit physical traits of the other types.

but Triax 2's section on how the NGR is targeting nests and hatcheries, it sounds like each type of gargoyle is either a seperate species, or they have some sort of eugenics program going on where each type only reproduces with their own kind.

Truth be told, the Gargoyles types being related but separate species that cooperate to a degree is definitely within the realm of possibility - going with the birds parallel that has been used as a simile for Gargoyle & co. psychology a number of times in the books, mixed flocks where two or more species stand together in their migration for self-defense and other purposes are a very real natural phenomenon.

As an aside i have also toyed a number of times with the idea of other gargoyle/gurgoyle subgroups also existing in Rifts Earth though in much smaller numbers than the ones we are familiar with from CB1 and WB5, due to a number of reasons major or minor, some mixed as minorities or lesser tribes among Gargoyle masses on either the Empire, Atlantis, the wilds of Russia or other places or standing as independent clans, flocks of their own for reasons particular for them.

In fact such is the case in my own games of the "Hotspur Gargoyles", who decided to abandon the Gargoyle Empire not because they felt undervalued but because their combination of much higher flight speed, powerful fire breath but smaller size (and MDC) would result in all too many of them ending in the frontlines of Gargoyles wars with the NGR through the ages (and dead), to the point of threatening their continued survival and resulting in their exodus to strike on their own, situation where a few remaining flocks eventually ended in the service of a sorcerous warlord who found them far too useful to just carelessly throw at any opposition as cannon fodder.

Return to “Rifts®”