Rifts® Titan Robotics™ Kickstarter

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

OregonMan9000
D-Bee

Rifts® Titan Robotics™ Kickstarter

Unread post by OregonMan9000 »

Coming soon. Anyone pledge for previous books? Do they post announcements? Links?
Rifts World Book 50: Bloodly Cascadia
Rifts World Book 53: Stumptown, The Sound and Vanc aka Cascadia2
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: Rifts® Titan Robotics™ Kickstarter

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Surprised they're giving kickstarter another chance after how bad the last time was botched . . .
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

They should finish they're other crowd funded book first
.. but hey "free money" I guess.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:Surprised they're giving kickstarter another chance after how bad the last time was botched . . .

I think this is mainly Sean. Kickstarter isn't the place it was when they did the Robotech one. It has become an essential part of publishing and advertising for books being releases, I'm not sure but if it is still the case but at a convention about 5 years ago Pinnacle said they planned to release every book on KS. Look at the recent Branden Sanderson KS for non-RPG version of this.

I will kick in for it but I am worried about how toxic it will get on KS, I mean look at the board game. I hope at least that Sean has the book completely done before launch as if they have even a minor problem with this KS it is going to get really bad.

jaymz wrote:They should finish they're other crowd funded book first
.. but hey "free money" I guess.

I'm normally more forgiving than you on this but it has been so long since we did this that I have to agree.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:
I will kick in for it but I am worried about how toxic it will get on KS, I mean look at the board game. I hope at least that Sean has the book completely done before launch as if they have even a minor problem with this KS it is going to get really bad.

I think "really bad" will be an understatement. They cannot do the usual "it's almost done. Just a few more pieces of art and pages to go" ad nauseum for a year or more as Kevin has done over the last decade with most of the limited number of books they've done including the last delivered crowdfund Beastiaries. I don't recall offhand but wasn't Beastiaries 2 funded in early 2020? Or was it early 2021? The pandemic years have been a blur. Either way it isn't done yet and it was funded. Not much gets said since it was an in house fund raiser but Kickstarter...yeah that means a hard delivery date and people will expect a delivery on time or minimally late.

And I'll be honest Palladium's record is so bad that it doesn't even get joked about anymore.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I think "really bad" will be an understatement. They cannot do the usual "it's almost done. Just a few more pieces of art and pages to go" ad nauseum for a year or more as Kevin has done over the last decade with most of the limited number of books they've done including the last delivered crowdfund Beastiaries. I don't recall offhand but wasn't Beastiaries 2 funded in early 2020? Or was it early 2021? The pandemic years have been a blur. Either way it isn't done yet and it was funded. Not much gets said since it was an in house fund raiser but Kickstarter...yeah that means a hard delivery date and people will expect a delivery on time or minimally late.

I have mixed feelings about the changes to KS. When I first signed on they actually had a disclaimer saying "this is not a store" and that you were taking a risk by backing something.

I backed two projects that just completely failed, for a few reasons. I don't feel ripped off because I new I was dealing with amateurs with an idea not professionals.

As for time, on KS I backed the movie Till about Emmett Till. It was funded in September of 2015 and for at least 2 years it appeared as though it had failed. The movie is being made and I am getting rewards early next year even though they are slightly different than what I ordered.

Now that KS is just a store and marketing site for, mostly, established businesses I am just not as excited about it.

I placed my order for Bestiary 2 Insider in March of 2020 so two-and-a-half-year wait is long but not RTT long.

jaymz wrote:And I'll be honest Palladium's record is so bad that it doesn't even get joked about anymore.

Oh know it's still a joke, just one that makes you cry not laugh.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I have mixed feelings about the changes to KS. When I first signed on they actually had a disclaimer saying "this is not a store" and that you were taking a risk by backing something.

I backed two projects that just completely failed, for a few reasons. I don't feel ripped off because I new I was dealing with amateurs with an idea not professionals.

As for time, on KS I backed the movie Till about Emmett Till. It was funded in September of 2015 and for at least 2 years it appeared as though it had failed. The movie is being made and I am getting rewards early next year even though they are slightly different than what I ordered.

Now that KS is just a store and marketing site for, mostly, established businesses I am just not as excited about it.

I placed my order for Bestiary 2 Insider in March of 2020 so two-and-a-half-year wait is long but not RTT long.

jaymz wrote:And I'll be honest Palladium's record is so bad that it doesn't even get joked about anymore.

Oh know it's still a joke, just one that makes you cry not laugh.

A miniatures game with dozens of miniatures is a far cry from a book that is largely a cut and paste job (Beastiaries 2) and a book that by all accounts should not need such funding since it is already well and mostly written as seen via the "limited raw" release (Titan).

There is no one, in my opinion, to spin this in a good way. We've already wait literal years for Titan, that was "close to being done" and now they want a bunch of cash up front for it? The damn thing should already be done. And so should Beastiaries.

\m/
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

I'll drop a few bucks if they put out a PDF and especially posting my name on the book i just wait and see for now
but Rifts® Titan Robotics™ I am VERY curious
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

They'll put out a pdf regardless. They just dropped the pdf of mamhunters on drivethru

\m/
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

jaymz wrote:They'll put out a pdf regardless. They just dropped the pdf of mamhunters on drivethru

:D
Is that book workplace safe?
:lol:
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:A miniatures game with dozens of miniatures is a far cry from a book that is largely a cut and paste job (Beastiaries 2) and a book that by all accounts should not need such funding since it is already well and mostly written as seen via the "limited raw" release (Titan).

While I'm more than a little cranky about how long I've had to wait for Bestiary 2 it is far from a cut and paste job. Bringing all of the existing creatures, some going back to the first Sourcebook and World book almost 30 years ago, into a uniform stat block is time consuming enough but the maps showing where these creatures are adds a new level of complexity to it. Then you add in the new creatures, common animals like bears and then add in all the names of donors you get serious work.

As for Titan, Raw doesn't mean almost done. I did a brief comparison between Garden of the Gods and that Raw preview and it is significantly different. Titan sounds like it is going through a serious rewrite and I would be surprised to see the page count.

jaymz wrote:There is no one, in my opinion, to spin this in a good way. We've already wait literal years for Titan, that was "close to being done" and now they want a bunch of cash up front for it? The damn thing should already be done. And so should Beastiaries.

I don't view the wait for Titan as good, but it isn't really bad either. As I've said before I accept the fact that no one person wants these books to come out faster than PB, it is literally the food on their table and the roof over their head. When they get the book done it will be released. When it is released, I will pay for it. Until I give them money I don't really complain about the book.

Bestiary 2 is different, I paid my money I want the book, and a year ago would have been late.

ZINO wrote:I'll drop a few bucks if they put out a PDF and especially posting my name on the book i just wait and see for now but Rifts® Titan Robotics™ I am VERY curious

The name in the book can be cool but for me Insider and KS events are all about the extras. Artwork and special versions things like that.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Did we KS the D'bees2 book? I cant recall.

If so, that should be published before launching any other KS - and really should be finished before any other publications.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

The Dark Elf wrote:Did we KS the D'bees2 book? I cant recall.

If so, that should be published before launching any other KS - and really should be finished before any other publications.

I have never heard of a D'Bees 2 book. PB has only done one KS, that was RTT, and the only outstanding Insider crowd funding is Bestiary 2.

All the crowd funding PB has done is listed in my signature as I have supported them all at one level or another.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:

I have never heard of a D'Bees 2 book. PB has only done one KS, that was RTT, and the only outstanding Insider crowd funding is Bestiary 2.

All the crowd funding PB has done is listed in my signature as I have supported them all at one level or another.

I think we can safely assume kickstarter is being used generically for crowd source like kleenex is often used to mean tissue

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I think we can safely assume kickstarter is being used generically for crowd source like kleenex is often used to mean tissue

In this case Kickstarter means Kickstarter. Sean has been specific about his plans on the podcasts I have seen.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

In this case Kickstarter means Kickstarter. Sean has been specific about his plans on the podcasts I have seen.

I'm well aware titan is an actual kickstarter Warshield. I didn't think I had to be bloody specific to Dark Elfs post for my point to be understood.

\m/
OregonMan9000
D-Bee

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Most rescent podcast?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I'm well aware titan is an actual kickstarter Warshield. I didn't think I had to be bloody specific to Dark Elfs post for my point to be understood.

Sorry about that Jaymz, since you responded to my post I thought you were responding to me not Datk Elf. My mind went back to Titan as in my response I literally said crowd funding and pointed to a list of mostly PB Insider sales.

OregonMan9000 wrote:Most rescent podcast?

His podcast appearances are listed in some of the older weekly updates, but here is the Gen Con Q&A on Youtube, he talks about it there I do believe.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Yes I was indeed using the term to generalise crowdfunding. So I wouldn't crowdfund anything until other crowdfunded items are near to delivery.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have let Sean and Kevin aware of the concerns made in this thread - though I am sure they were already aware.

Thank you for keeping this topic civil.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
OregonMan9000
D-Bee

What sort of stretch goals and extras will there?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

OregonMan9000 wrote:What sort of stretch goals and extras will there?

hopefully easy ones like art prints, inclusion of the names of high backers into the dedication page, and the like. nothing book content related.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
OregonMan9000 wrote:What sort of stretch goals and extras will there?

hopefully easy ones like art prints, inclusion of the names of high backers into the dedication page, and the like. nothing book content related.

I have a feeling that the backer rewards are going to look a lot like the various insider campaigns they have done. Regardless of what they are though I hope he keeps the stretch goals to a minimum, that is what breaks most KS's I've seen fail or get really delayed.
OregonMan9000
D-Bee

Do u remembet what they were for the last?

Thank you
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

OregonMan9000 wrote:Do u remembet what they were for the last?

Thank you

Each individual level, no But I more or less remember min. I did Benefactor for the last two which was the $500 option and while Bestiary 2 hasn't come out yet Bestiary 1 came with:
-The big thing was your name in the book, not just in the front under benefactors but at higher levels you were included in the text. I was listed as a hunter and foremost expert on one of the animals.

The stuff in my signature: Northern Gun Chief of Robotics, Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper, Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo - were from the various insiders adding me into some of the books

-A color hardcover
-A black leather hardcover
-PDF
-Art Prints
-and I believe there was an unspecified gift that in this case was a pair of the Raw Previews

There might have been one or two other things but that was the basics and as I remember each level just added a one of those perks.
OregonMan9000
D-Bee

Thank uou
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

Is this book going to be available on Palladium site or only from the kickstarter?
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

When will release date be?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Sambot wrote:Is this book going to be available on Palladium site or only from the kickstarter?

the kickstarter is effectively a pre-order, to help get the funding to do a full print run for distribution to FLGS and sale on the palladium webstore. its the same basic model as the savage worlds game books, only applied to palladium.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

any kickstarter/preorder monies i might have for a palladium game is on hold until i get rifts scotland and whatever book has the truck with the massive energy cannon turret in it. i cannot trust palladium with a schedule, simple as that.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Produce a book. I buy it. Simple as that.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Sambot wrote:Is this book going to be available on Palladium site or only from the kickstarter?

the kickstarter is effectively a pre-order, to help get the funding to do a full print run for distribution to FLGS and sale on the palladium webstore. its the same basic model as the savage worlds game books, only applied to palladium.

While PB has always needed and, like all of us, will always need money they clearly have the money to print books. Even if Titan Robotics KS fails it will still get printed and be sold.

I say that to really drive home how much of a marketing move this appears to be. You mentioned Savage Worlds KSs. As far back as 2017 at Chupacabra Con in Austin the Pinnacle panel (which included Sean Patrick Fannon but I forget who the other 3 or so people were) said they didn't need the KS to finish the book KS was just marketing. Not just for the company and the books themselves but for those little extras people sometimes skip. Put a black Savage Rifts messenger bag on your website and a few dorks will buy it. Make it part of a higher tier backer level on your KS and hundreds of dorks, like me, will get it.

I think Sean is hoping he can open that same kind of marketing to PB I just think it is going to be rough considering the RTT and what that horrific mob did to Carmen and his board game. But, I think given the current business landscape and the dominant position KS is taking in publishing (again look at established authors like Brandon Sanderson) I don't think they have much choice but to try to get back in.

Sean just needs to have this book done: artwork in, edited, layout all done. He also needs to keep the extras and especially stretch goals to a minimum. I hope his goal is a successful fulfillment and not a huge backing. Just my opinion.

Orin J. wrote:any kickstarter/preorder monies i might have for a palladium game is on hold until i get rifts scotland and whatever book has the truck with the massive energy cannon turret in it. i cannot trust palladium with a schedule, simple as that.

I completely understand this sentiment but Scotland seems a strange reason (Bestiary 2 is a reason I am a little cranky about this) but to my knowledge PB never took a dime from anyone for Rifts Scotland. Did I miss something? Not sure which truck you are talking about but I am interested, sounds Warthog-ish.

Kagashi wrote:Produce a book. I buy it. Simple as that.

I am at this point too but like I said I am cranky about Bestiary 2 being delayed for this.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

If palladium NEEDS to do a KS to actually get this book to market after 40 years in business, I don't care what EXCUSES some here want to spew (and they are literally excuses not valid reasons to anyone with a brain), they have utterly failed as a business and should just close shop.

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:If palladium NEEDS to do a KS to actually get this book to market after 40 years in business, I don't care what EXCUSES some here want to spew (and they are literally excuses not valid reasons to anyone with a brain), they have utterly failed as a business and should just close shop.

Considering all the multi-million dollar companies that needed bailouts like:
-the airlines in 2001
-the auto industry and banks in 2009
-not to mention all the ones that got PPP loans and then forgiveness of those "loans" (this one included PB)

Just to name a few and all of which used our tax dollars without our consent and only one of which (2009 auto bailout) that we made money on or even got our money back as a country so I kind of agree and disagree.

Companies that can't survive a hardship should have to ask their customers for support and if they won't then they close down. In the case of PB I am still willing to kick int to keep it going, but if there are too few of us then it would close.

In this case though I think it is clear that the KS, like most current Kickstarters, is just for marketing purposes.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I keep wishing Kevin would go public so we could buy it and have an actual say in how the business was ran.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Warshield73 wrote:
jaymz wrote:If palladium NEEDS to do a KS to actually get this book to market after 40 years in business, I don't care what EXCUSES some here want to spew (and they are literally excuses not valid reasons to anyone with a brain), they have utterly failed as a business and should just close shop.

-the airlines in 2001
-not to mention all the ones that got PPP loans and then forgiveness of those "loans" (this one included PB)

Just to name a few and all of which used our tax dollars without our consent and only one of which (2009 auto bailout) that we made money on or even got our money back as a country so I kind of agree and disagree.

Companies that can't survive a hardship should have to ask their customers for support and if they won't then they close down. In the case of PB I am still willing to kick int to keep it going, but if there are too few of us then it would close.

In this case though I think it is clear that the KS, like most current Kickstarters, is just for marketing purposes.

Sure once...even twice. This jas been ongoing for almost 20 bloody years.

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zer0 Kay wrote:I keep wishing Kevin would go public so we could buy it and have an actual say in how the business was ran.

You mean so they would have a fiduciary responsibility to share holders to make a profit so that when someone came along offering a few thousand for this IP or that one they would have to sell? No thank you, that is how Ben and Jerrys got ruined I'll pass. Besides, we have a say right now. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

Warshield73 wrote:

-the airlines in 2001

There really aren't any valid parallels between the airlines and/or auto manufacturers and Palladium books. Those provide vital infrastructure (flights) and employee 10s of thousands of people.

"Companies that can't survive a hardship should have to ask their customers for support..."
ER..what? Ford should come knocking on your door and say "Hey, you bought a car from us 20 years ago...can we have a dollar?" Sorry, it doesn't work like that. If Ford wants money, they make a car and you buy it. If they are in financial trouble, they borrow money to make it through the rough times <- That is how other businesses operate. The "bailouts" from the government are loans. Sometimes they don't get paid back. They ARE NOT the same as begging your customers for money.

The worst part of this relationship is when the begging started it was because of the "treachery" that happened in the early 2000s....it's been over 20 years since that happened, but the company operates as if that happened yesterday.

I am fine with supporting new products and giving seed money so books can be published, but failing to deliver should not be tolerated.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

barna10 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

-the airlines in 2001

There really aren't any valid parallels between the airlines and/or auto manufacturers and Palladium books. Those provide vital infrastructure (flights) and employee 10s of thousands of people.

"Companies that can't survive a hardship should have to ask their customers for support..."
ER..what? Ford should come knocking on your door and say "Hey, you bought a car from us 20 years ago...can we have a dollar?" Sorry, it doesn't work like that. If Ford wants money, they make a car and you buy it. If they are in financial trouble, they borrow money to make it through the rough times <- That is how other businesses operate. The "bailouts" from the government are loans. Sometimes they don't get paid back. They ARE NOT the same as begging your customers for money.

No it is not the same. One is done with your consent and the other is done with out it.

If you do not want to support PB, you don't have to. If I opposed the socialization of losses while billions in profits were privatized...well I was SOL.

My point was that in this system even billion-dollar companies need bailouts. If you want to see small businesses to individuals that need it, just go to Go-Fund-Me. Or you can see recently lots of restaurants that asked people to buy gift cards and wait to use them. Lots of businesses seem to be "begging" their customers, or even total strangers, to keep them going these days.

barna10 wrote:The worst part of this relationship is when the begging started it was because of the "treachery" that happened in the early 2000s....it's been over 20 years since that happened, but the company operates as if that happened yesterday.

To my knowledge the only time they asked for money was the art prints right after the crisis. If you are talking the insiders and Kickstarters again I did all of them and I get stuff for my money (except for Bestiary 2, STILL WAITING). Even RTT, I put in well over $1,000 into that and while I didn't get everything I paid for, I did get products equal to the money I spent which is a lot better than any other failed KS that I have supported.

barna10 wrote:I am fine with supporting new products and giving seed money so books can be published, but failing to deliver should not be tolerated.

Agreed. Like I said I am really cranky about all these books being done before Bestiary 2 so if you are talking about them not delivering on the one book they have already taken money for I am right there with you. If, on the other hand, you are talking about books they advertised and then canceled or books that should have come out years ago (Chi-town WB) but hasn't, then no I don't care

But again the point here is being missed. The Insiders were not to make the actual book. It was to get a bunch of obsessive compulsive collector types (of which I am one) to buy a bunch of different versions of the same book along with some art work. Would I have purchased all of these separately, probably not, but bundle them together and this sucker clicks buy.

The KS is marketing. PB needs to increase market presence to survive and KS is a major means of doing that these days.

Is Pinnacle begging for money when they release EVERY single book through KS?

Is Brandon Sanderson begging for money when he releases new books through KS?

If PB screws up this KS, for any reason, I think they are screwed so to me this is incredibly risky marketing move.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

jaymz wrote:They'll put out a pdf regardless. They just dropped the pdf of mamhunters on drivethru

So, are there a lot of Altarains and Shemarians being hunted there?
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Warshield73 wrote:To my knowledge the only time they asked for money was the art prints right after the crisis. If you are talking the insiders and Kickstarters again I did all of them and I get stuff for my money (except for Bestiary 2, STILL WAITING). Even RTT, I put in well over $1,000 into that and while I didn't get everything I paid for, I did get products equal to the money I spent which is a lot better than any other failed KS that I have supported.

Progress report
Does encouraging and accepting donations count?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

barna10 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:To my knowledge the only time they asked for money was the art prints right after the crisis. If you are talking the insiders and Kickstarters again I did all of them and I get stuff for my money (except for Bestiary 2, STILL WAITING). Even RTT, I put in well over $1,000 into that and while I didn't get everything I paid for, I did get products equal to the money I spent which is a lot better than any other failed KS that I have supported.

Progress report
Does encouraging and accepting donations count?

This is the art print I mentioned from more than 16 years ago. You know, right after the crisis. Those aren't for sale anymore and everyone that bought them had their name in the book of heroes and its all done.
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

Yeah read it again. Art sale and donations.

"Due to popular request we have set up a way for people to make Pay Pal donations. Thank you one and all. Pleae note that everyone who makes a donation -- large or small -- will be counted among the "Heroes of the Megaverse" and see their name in print in some future Palladium publication"
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

my main concern is the fact i know that the trolls who wrecked the Rifts Boardgame kickstarter and nearly killed Carmen Bellaire have heard about this upcoming one and are planning to attack it too.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

barna10 wrote:Yeah read it again. Art sale and donations.

"Due to popular request we have set up a way for people to make Pay Pal donations. Thank you one and all. Pleae note that everyone who makes a donation -- large or small -- will be counted among the "Heroes of the Megaverse" and see their name in print in some future Palladium publication"

I read it when it first came out...sixteen years ago... In fact I bought several prints to put the names of my entire original gaming group in the book. The book with the names of all those who donated was published in September of 2010, you know 12 years ago.

Again we are talking recently or maybe just the last decade.

To my knowledge they have not done anything like this print or donation drive in more than 12 years.

Again, going back to the OP the KS seems to be mainly marketing. I base this on several facts:
1) They are constantly printing books, including very expensive hardcovers, without doing an Insider or other crowdfunding.
2) Sean said as much, at least twice, see the videos I mentioned above.
3) It seems to be an attempt to mimic Pinnacle (not to mention all the other publishers and creators) who use KS almost exclusively for marketing.

glitterboy2098 wrote:my main concern is the fact i know that the trolls who wrecked the Rifts Boardgame kickstarter and nearly killed Carmen Bellaire have heard about this upcoming one and are planning to attack it too.

My concern is that PB will screw this up. With the RTT disaster and the outstanding Bestiary 2 they cannot afford to have delivery delayed for even a day.

As for the trolls, KS has new controls since what happened to Carmen, including suspending and banning people, and since this is a service that requires credit cards it is really hard to have extra accounts. Past that I trust Sean is ready for it. If this is successful, and I mean PB delivers on this quickly with quality materials, then PB can do it again and again after a while the trolls will go away or drowned out. Right now though a troll army ten times the one that went after Carmen cannot do the kind of damage to PB that a failure of timely delivery will.
Sambot
Adventurer

Unread post by Sambot »

glitterboy2098 wrote:

Oh Okay. Thanks. I hope they get the money to print the books.

Orin J. wrote:any kickstarter/preorder monies i might have for a palladium game is on hold until i get rifts scotland and whatever book has the truck with the massive energy cannon turret in it. i cannot trust palladium with a schedule, simple as that.

There's a Rifts Scotland?

Warshield73 wrote:While PB has always needed and, like all of us, will always need money they clearly have the money to print books. Even if Titan Robotics KS fails it will still get printed and be sold.

I hope so. I can't afford anything right now but even if I could, I can't do kickstarter. I'd have to get it from Palladium directly. I can't do that if they don't have it.
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

There is no Rifts Scotland.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

AlexM wrote:There is no Rifts Scotland.

But, there should be; hopefully making The Daghda sane and Scrupulous.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
barna10
Hero

Unread post by barna10 »

To be clear, there is a Scotland in Rifts, but there is no book Rifts:Scotland
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

barna10 wrote:To be clear, there is a Scotland in Rifts, but there is no book Rifts:Scotland

but mentioned many time as "coming soon".
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”