Eye Of Eylor Items and PPE Availablity

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MidnightNova
D-Bee

Eye Of Eylor Items and PPE Availablity

Unread post by MidnightNova »

I noticed that in the d3escription of Eyes of Eylor there are 3 mentions of PPE that the Eyes have. Small ones have 150, Large have 400, and if a small (Golfball size?) one is implanted in a person, they get 20 PPE added to their base for each Eye.

Now where it is less clear is with items using the Eyes. Examples being the staves, Slaver barge, Mace etc. The various items list a PPE total from the eyes, but can that PPE only be used by the item's spells? Or can the wielder/wearer use the PPE for his own magical abilities? I can see 3 ways this can work;

1: Eye PPE is only usable for the item.

2: Eye PPE can be accessed by the wearer/user for his own spells/abilities.

3: Eye PPE can be drawn upon as per a "willing donor" as per the normal rules on magic.

What are people's opinions on this?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Eye Of Eylor Items and PPE Availablity

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

None of the items utilizing Eyes of Eylor mention that their PPE can be repurposed for any purpose other than that for which they have been programmed, with the exception of when an Eye is physically implanted. If compared to PPE batteries, those set to a dedicated purpose such as PPE clips are difficult to tap for another purpose. In a place or two it mentions that Technowizards can drain a clip at 10 PPE/round, while certain types of battery can be tapped or refilled with knowledge of the Talisman spell.

I'd say it's no big deal if Bio-Wizards such as High Lords and Shadkan can, in this circumstance, be able to treat Eyes or, say, faerie batteries, as similar to Technowizards tapping PPE clips. I'd probably cap the drawing rate at 20-25 PPE/round.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Eye of Eylor is a living thing. So normal rules for drawing PPE from living things would apply.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:Eye of Eylor is a living thing. So normal rules for drawing PPE from living things would apply.

Two problems with this per the Rules (RUE pg186):
1. In general Living Beings can resist and if they fail, you only get 1% of the PPE (EoE don't have a PE attribute score or bonus to save, so straight die roll?). EoE could be programed to resist tapping.
2. Living Beings who are Practitioners of Magic, which on EoE might qualify for when programed to cast magic, automatically save in point #1. Given their programable nature they could be programmed to always resist tapping.
Blue_Lion
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Eye of Eylor is a living thing. So normal rules for drawing PPE from living things would apply.

1. In general Living Beings can resist and if they fail, you only get 1% of the PPE (EoE don't have a PE attribute score or bonus to save, so straight die roll?). EoE could be programed to resist tapping.
2. Living Beings who are Practitioners of Magic, which on EoE might qualify for when programed to cast magic, automatically save in point #1. Given their programable nature they could be programmed to always resist tapping.

Could be, but not said to be. They could aslo be set to allow their owner to tap into.
Weather or not you can use their PPE comes down to the normal rules for getting PPE from a living thing.

Listing the normal rules for drawing from living things does not actually change the fact the rules are used.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Could be, but not said to be. They could aslo be set to allow their owner to tap into.
Weather or not you can use their PPE comes down to the normal rules for getting PPE from a living thing.

Listing the normal rules for drawing from living things does not actually change the fact the rules are used.

Ultimately a lot of this is going to come down to how the GM sees things working since there is nothing one-way or the other on tapping the PPE of an Eye of Eylor item. I agree it is a living thing but am not so sure if it would or even can willing give up PPE to someone else.

Consider this you're a mage and in the room you have an Invocation Talisman as a PPE Battery (50 PPE), an Invocation Talisman with 3 Spells (3x AoI, so 30 PPE), Splugorth Talisman of Armor (3x AoI per day, so 30PPE), a Regular Dog (or pick an animal), an unconscious teammate (alive, but out cold), Magic Scroll (w/3x AoI spells, so 30 PPE). Which can you tap for PPE and which can't you, and how does it compare for Eyes of Eylor in BioWizard devices? Straightup the PPE battery is a no brainer (yes), but could you tap the Dog (can it even willing donate PPE? what about the unconscious teammate can they willing donate in that state, and if not what if they are a mage?) or the items that could be considered "programmed" with Spells like the EoE are described as? The others IMHO are a straight no, which means the EoE would be a No (an exception would exist for those who have formed a symbiotic link w/particular EoE).
Blue_Lion
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Ultimately a lot of this is going to come down to how the GM sees things working since there is nothing one-way or the other on tapping the PPE of an Eye of Eylor item. I agree it is a living thing but am not so sure if it would or even can willing give up PPE to someone else.

Consider this you're a mage and in the room you have an Invocation Talisman as a PPE Battery (50 PPE), an Invocation Talisman with 3 Spells (3x AoI, so 30 PPE), Splugorth Talisman of Armor (3x AoI per day, so 30PPE), a Regular Dog (or pick an animal), an unconscious teammate (alive, but out cold), Magic Scroll (w/3x AoI spells, so 30 PPE). Which can you tap for PPE and which can't you, and how does it compare for Eyes of Eylor in BioWizard devices? Straightup the PPE battery is a no brainer (yes), but could you tap the Dog (can it even willing donate PPE? what about the unconscious teammate can they willing donate in that state, and if not what if they are a mage?) or the items that could be considered "programmed" with Spells like the EoE are described as? The others IMHO are a straight no, which means the EoE would be a No (an exception would exist for those who have formed a symbiotic link w/particular EoE).

They are a slave race programed to do what the owner/master wants so in my opinion it would be yes.
But in the end because they are alive normal rules would apply for living things the GM would decide weather or not it is willing just like any NPC.

Return to “Rifts®”