Magic Items for Metamorphosis: Human

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

Magic Items for Metamorphosis: Human

Unread post by ardashir »

The title says it all. Do any Rifts books have any rules or even guidelines for magic items that duplicate the Metamorphosis: Human spell, or that just allow changing one's appearance to look human? And if so would you please share the titles?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Magic Items for Metamorphosis: Human

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Given the spell's duration (20 min/level) a TW device would likely be made at a relatively high level, which makes things kind of pricey. I feel like somewhere in the Palladium Fantasy books there might be an equivalent to a D&D Hat of Disguise, but am unsure off hand.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There might be something like that in PF.

Corrupted mantel of power has mask of deceit. Pg 293 BoM
Metamorphosis fetish pg 309 BoM
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Palladium Fantasy 2E Main Book pg253 has it available for magic jewelry (said to be rare) and as a potion. Said book also has magic makeups.

Bio-Wizardry "Eylor Helm of Omnipotence" (pg260 BoM, WB2 pg125) has Metamorphosis: Human. Rune Weapons* (specifically Greatest) per BoM (pg269) allow them to have that particular spell (it allows Level 6-11, spell in question is level 8 in BoM).

Techno-Smity (DB6 pg84-5) has option for creating regenerating Talismans, but they would not be able to contain the spell as per the book spells are supposed to be 6th level or lower, but BoM regular Talismans are upto 8th Level (but will only be able to cast it a fixed number of times) which would be an option.

Custom options would be Techno/Eco-Wizardry or Bio-Wizardry (no real rules here). Offhand I don't know of any TW devices that use it, but the required gem (per RUE) would be Alexandrite with a cost of 3000c per carat (a "mid-range" cost). Bio-Wizardry does have at least one example, and likely would involve a Zembak or Eylor component. Eco-Wizardry AFAIK doesn't, but IMHO would seem to be a better theme fit than TW.

*This may be a BoM thing, PF2E has the spell range as Level 1-3, and WB2 (pre-RUE update) doesn't even have Wizard spells as an option.
ardashir
Wanderer

Unread post by ardashir »

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm ashamed to say that I found one such item in a book I have, the MercTown tome. The Mask of Human Metamorphosis on page 132.

I'm thinking of something that can be used by low-level characters like the above Mask, but maybe made a little easier to handle due to its having some quirks. Like, say, it'll make even a D-bee or supernatural being look completely human, but at the price of them being unable to use any of their supernatural or magical abilities for the duration of the spell. And it can't be removed until the duration runs out, so no shutting it off ahead of schedule. How does that sound?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Blocking of SN/Magical abilities is a bit iffy based on how Metamorphosis works IIRC, but SN attributes won't change suddenly (nor the amount of ISP/PPE). Magical abilities aren't necessarily blocked either, though this is going to come down to the type of magic in question vs the metamorphosis form (ex. if the magic requires spoken words and you can't speak).

The all or nothing aspect is fine I think, though you could allow early removal but there would be a penalty to pay of some kind(s). Though the spell isn't going to hide one from those who can See Auras (metamorphosis does not state or imply this is changed) or sense magical potential (ie PPE), and on the last bit as a magical artifact/active spell it will be radiating magic which should be detectable by Dog Boys and Psi-Stalkers anyway.

Return to “Rifts®”