Bio-Regeneration

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Bio-Regeneration

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

Bio-Regeneration (Healing Psionic Power, RUE version): Requires one minute to perform, and you regenerate either 2D6 H.P. or 3D6 S.D.C. per melee round, or four doses of healing (e.g. 8D6 H.P.; 12D6 S.D.C.; 4D6 H.P. and 6D6 S.D.C.; etc.) at the end of that minute. Costs 6 I.S.P.

Bio-Regeneration (Super Psionic Power, RUE version): Requires one minute, and you regenerate 4D6 H.P. and 4D6 S.D.C. at the end of that minute. Costs 20 I.S.P.

So, am I right in that the lesser power heals more (especially if measured by points-per-I.S.P.), and the only advantage the super version of the power has is that you have no limit on how much healing you do over multiple uses?

If I am reading it right, that seems... odd, given that the latter is a Super Psionic Power that not everyone can gain access to, and which costs more than triple the I.S.P. to use for a fraction of the healing. Sure, being able to heal to full without a penalty is nice, but if you're using either of these powers you're not in a combat situation anyway, so it's rarely going to be noteworthy. At worst, you either have to wait an extra hour before going out to find a fight, or heal faster than the super power but take a penalty to stats that don't really matter all that much to most Master Psychics anyway.

That said, and if again I am reading it right, I'm thinking about house ruling the super version of the power so that it heals four times as much during that minute (i.e., 4D6 H.P. and S.D.C. per melee round rather than per minute). Anyone see a problem with that?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Bio-Regeneration

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Huh.
I'm not near my books at the moment, so I can't confirm of deny, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're right.
If so, what probably happened was that the Super Psionic was the original version, and later they added (or modified) the Healing Psionic version without considering the weirdness they were creating.
Power creep has some strange consequences.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The differences I see are...
A One can only be used every so much
B period/amount of healing
C one specifies it can not restore missing limbs, and the second does not.
D one specifies it can not remove poison or cure disease one does not.

C and D would could be significant based on how GM treats magic/psi, weather or not one listing and one not listing the restriction matters.

So this could be just bad editing but GM willing the super power could be used to cure sickness, or reattach missing limbs(or even regrow them).
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

My suspicion (that I have no hard evidence for) is the lesser power's "per melee round" is a mistake, and that it should heal 2D6 HP or 3D6 SDC in total.

That amount of healing feels appropriate for a lesser psionic.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mack wrote:My suspicion (that I have no hard evidence for) is the lesser power's "per melee round" is a mistake, and that it should heal 2D6 HP or 3D6 SDC in total.

That is my read on it to. The mistake goes back to RMB-era description and is in PF2E description, though I will note that RUE adds additional information.

Super Bio-Regen does 4d6HP + 4d6SDC and you can do this every minute

Healing Bio-Regen as written might do 8d6 HP or 12d6 SDC (as suggested by the OP, I'm in favor of the pmr to be a long-standing typo) but it can only do this every other minute PLUS as of RUE (pg164) if it is used to recover more than 1/2 of HP or SDC in this way causes weakness for 3-6hrs that reduces PS/PE/Spd attributes by 30%.

Though one way to read Healing Bio-Regen is that it can only do 1x type of healing at a time (it's all HP or all SDC, no mix/match). Which means you'd have to cast it twice (12 ISP) and take 4x as long for 2 castings (1 minute trance + 1 minute "rest") to cover both SDC and HP loss. That would mean I think that Super's Premium Cost could be justified in terms of Speed (1x casting is 1/4 the time of 2 regulars), dual nature (yes you don't get as much of either but you do get both), and you seem to avoid the "weakness" issue (assuming the "weakness" issue only applies to the Healing Bio-Regen and not to any/all types of Bio-Regen).
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

I kind of like it being measured in melee rounds, so that if the power is interrupted, you still get some benefit out of it. And it makes more sense thematically, too, as one would expect it to be regenerating during the period rather than just an instant mega-heal at the end of it.

So yeah, I think I'm just going to house rule the super version so that it works the same way; 4D6 H.P. and S.D.C. every melee round for its duration, instead of just once at the end. I'll also probably beef up Healing Touch a bit to bring it more inline with the basic Bio-Regeneration (which, honestly, is probably the better argument for why Bio-Regeneration's 'per melee round' note is a typo, seeing as how it takes two minutes and only heals a fraction of the amount).

Regardless, thank you. As usual, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something crucial. I suffer from dyslexia and often miss small details when reading, so I like to make sure when I get really confused about something. And god only knows that happens a lot with Palladium's rules!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:I kind of like it being measured in melee rounds, so that if the power is interrupted, you still get some benefit out of it. And it makes more sense thematically, too, as one would expect it to be regenerating during the period rather than just an instant mega-heal at the end of it.

Agreed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mack wrote:My suspicion (that I have no hard evidence for) is the lesser power's "per melee round" is a mistake, and that it should heal 2D6 HP or 3D6 SDC in total.

No, the minor version has flaws left out: using it repeatedly in a short time causes penalties that the super version does not. having your PS, PE and Spd. reduced by 30% for 1d4+2 hours is no joke if your trying to get some healing in a few spare minutes in the middle of a larger ongoing fight or if your under a time limit to get/rescue someone/thing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Rifts®”