Those Weird Weapons...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Those Weird Weapons...

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

I was curious about how other GMs rule regarding what W.P. skill(s) to use when a player picks up some of the weirder weapons in the game. A notable example is the "Death Disk" Weapons System from the Phase World Sourcebook (p. 58). Do you use W.P. Energy Pistol? Heavy Military Weapon? Targeting? Or something else entirely?

What about mixed weapons? Say an S.D.C. assault rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher. Do they need two separate W.P.s in order to be fully proficient, or would W.P. Rifles cover the whole weapon?

On a similar note, what do you personally consider the difference between the more powerful (energy) rifles and heavy weapons when the difference isn't exactly clear cut?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Those Weird Weapons...

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:I was curious about how other GMs rule regarding what W.P. skill(s) to use when a player picks up some of the weirder weapons in the game. A notable example is the "Death Disk" Weapons System from the Phase World Sourcebook (p. 58). Do you use W.P. Energy Pistol? Heavy Military Weapon? Targeting? Or something else entirely?

I have never had to deal with this particular weapon as not one of 30 plus people I have run through PW in the last 30 years has asked for it. For me I like to leave the WPs open and I am OK with a lot of overlap between the WPs. This means that for the Death Disk I would allow WP E Pistol and probably just flat-out weapons systems skill. It is a remote-control device after all so anything high-tech should work. I would not use targeting as that is more thrown and there is no weapon under that skill that is remote control.

Crimson Dynamo wrote:What about mixed weapons? Say an S.D.C. assault rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher. Do they need two separate W.P.s in order to be fully proficient, or would W.P. Rifles cover the whole weapon?

Simple answer, yes it takes one skill to fire one and another to fire the other.

This can even switch when a weapon has different modes. The WI-GL8 Automatic Shotgun/Grenade Launcher (Rifts Merc Ops, Pg. 100) can switch between two types of ammo. So when it fires shotgun rounds I have it as a WP Shotgun and when it is using grenades I have it as WP Heavy Military Weapons.

Crimson Dynamo wrote:On a similar note, what do you personally consider the difference between the more powerful (energy) rifles and heavy weapons when the difference isn't exactly clear cut?

The Best example of what I think you are getting at is NE-75H Shoulder Cannon (DB 3: Phase World SB, pg. 54). This is a heavy plasma cartridge weapon that one of my players wanted to use a sniper rifle which the descriptions says it is used for. We just made a deal that when he was carrying it around, usually supported by a shoulder strap, that it was WP Heavy MD but when he perched for sniper work it was WP Energy Rifle and sniper skill could apply.

With any weapon or device that doesn't fit perfectly into one skill I find it is best to stay flexible and work with my players.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:snip...
What about mixed weapons? Say an S.D.C. assault rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher. Do they need two separate W.P.s in order to be fully proficient, or would W.P. Rifles cover the whole weapon?

The Heavy Military Weapons cover grenade launchers.

Crimson Dynamo wrote:On a similar note, what do you personally consider the difference between the more powerful (energy) rifles and heavy weapons when the difference isn't exactly clear cut?

The difference between ballistic and directed energy weapons is different enough to warrant separate WPs. Part of it is the actual use of the weapons and the other part is their maintenance practices.

Now if you were talking about between WP Energy Rifle and WP Heavy MD Weapons...the answer is still yes. Since the WP HMDW typically are used to mean Vehicle, PA and Bot weapons.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:I was curious about how other GMs rule regarding what W.P. skill(s) to use when a player picks up some of the weirder weapons in the game. A notable example is the "Death Disk" Weapons System from the Phase World Sourcebook (p. 58). Do you use W.P. Energy Pistol? Heavy Military Weapon? Targeting? Or something else entirely?

In general terms, if an exotic weapon does not easily fit existing WP categories I would:
1. consider previous incarnations of WP descriptions from other lines (and in case of Rifts production periods as RMB-era and RUE-era) to see if something from them might fit.
2. back in RMB-era days, if the exotic weapon was a ranged weapon I'd just require WP: (insert weapon name)* and call it a day, and I'd likely do the same in RUE-era and RMB-era melee (Ancient) the main difference is RMB era modern WPs originally all used a single progression table (at least until later WBs) unlike in RUE where each WP is made to be distinct from each other (just like Ancient WPs) and I would have to work one out (or likely just C&P an existing one).
3. if Option 1 or 2 did not work, then I might consider it difficult to master so no skill bonuses are applicable.

In this specific example (Death Disk from PW) IINM it basically fires a "smart" projectile, which IINM guided/smart missiles don't get any other bonuses to strike other than their inherent bonus (+3/+5 usually). For other aspects of the WP (Maintenace, judging quality, etc) I'd probably consider it falling under one of the other weapon maintenance skills (Weapons Engineer, or Armorer) or treating it as a mini-missile system (for non-combat purposes).

*there is some precedent for this megaversally. Rifts has exotic WP for the Samurai Fan and Daisho in WB8 along with Torpedo in SB4 and Deadball in WB10, then you have N&SS with Artillery, Flame thrower, Grenade Launcher, Mortar as separate WP skills (Miliary category) that in RUE are part of existing WPs, 1E RT had Cyclone Weapon Systems (literally only applicable to 3 mecha) and the Gallant H-90 (a modular energy gun).

Crimson Dynamo wrote:What about mixed weapons? Say an S.D.C. assault rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher. Do they need two separate W.P.s in order to be fully proficient, or would W.P. Rifles cover the whole weapon?

Yes, they would require multiple WPs. For Bayonet attached to Rifle fighting it would be considered WP: Spear (unattached they are basically knife).

Weight/mass of the weapon for its intended users. Heavy Weapons tend to be more massive and will note being used by Power Armor/Borgs (something that is IINM non-existent for regular weapons). Range and payload might also be considered contributing factors (Heavies tend to have better range and larger payload options)

Return to “Rifts®”