Techno Wizard Math Help

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Techno Wizard Math Help

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Can someone help me with the math formulas for the steps in the TW creation steps? I think I may be missing something someplace. Basically, what is the math equation used in each step?
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Techno Wizard Math Help

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

There is no real hard and fast rules or formulae, just a starting point for the GM to eyeball a price from. That starting point is:

Construction Cost = (P.P.E. Construction Cost x 10 x Device Level) + the Cost of All Required Gems

Note that I added the parenthesis just because not everyone knows the proper order of operations. The Device Level is effectively the experience level that the device operates at, up to the Techno-Wizard's own level. The P.P.E. Construction Cost is the minimum P.P.E. cost of all the spells used by the device. The required gems are found on the Gem TW Reference list on page 133 of the RUE rulebook; you basically need one appropriate gem for each spell used by the device.

Calculate that and, if it looks good to the GM, that's the cost. But they're then free to adjust the cost however they wish.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Base PPE Const. Cost =( (all PPE Cost from Spell Chain added together) × Device Level × 10 ) ÷ (carets of primary Gem)
LL magic items: (Base PPE Const. Cost) × (1.5 for each function)
LL & Off LL magic items: (Base PPE Const. Cost) × (2 for each function)

---------
Activation Cost= (Base PPE Const. Cost )÷20

---------
The Device Constrution time is: PPE const. cost divided by ten, and then times the device level.

Written as math: ( PPE CC ÷ 10 ) × DL= DCT

-------
CD has the Const. Cost written out correctly, and explaing why he did it is explained nicely
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

VR Dragon wrote:Can someone help me with the math formulas for the steps in the TW creation steps? I think I may be missing something someplace. Basically, what is the math equation used in each step?

the thing you're missing is the GM's involvement. they're supposed to ballpark some values for you instead of a hard formulae to use, to consider in matters like ambiguous functionalities and how it might affect their campaign plot.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks but actually i am just missing the math equations for the steps and in particular the determining the size of the primary spell gem in carats or half carats. I like to use more that minimum size.

In my current group I try to help my GM since he has enough on his plate.

Also is there any errata or corrects for the big lists of gems and costs?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

[Information: The gem size/weight/mass is measured by caret ( 1 gram is 5 carets / 1 grain is 0.323995 carets.)]

The amount of carets, in the math, can be adjusted by 1/2 a caret.

There is no revised list for the Gem: Cost/c/type of spell list.
There is a predecessor list in the gem mage class in the org. Atlantis book
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:There is no real hard and fast rules or formulae, just a starting point for the GM to eyeball a price from. That starting point is:

Construction Cost = (P.P.E. Construction Cost x 10 x Device Level) + the Cost of All Required Gems

Note that I added the parenthesis just because not everyone knows the proper order of operations. The Device Level is effectively the experience level that the device operates at, up to the Techno-Wizard's own level. The P.P.E. Construction Cost is the minimum P.P.E. cost of all the spells used by the device. The required gems are found on the Gem TW Reference list on page 133 of the RUE rulebook; you basically need one appropriate gem for each spell used by the device.

Calculate that and, if it looks good to the GM, that's the cost. But they're then free to adjust the cost however they wish.
Yep that is the equation in RUE however I do not think labor cost is accounted for in this equation. I am going to take a closer look perhaps labor cost is there but not explicitly referenced. It is quite possible by adding primary gem size to drive the cost of a device down a lot. I have never been comfortable with these design equations because of that.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

One thing to watch out for is adding PPE Storage creates a feedback loop within the formulas. I had to use an Excel macro to get around it.

Speaking of which, if you're going to play around with the TW formulas I recommend plugging them into a spreadsheet. It makes it much, much easier to optimize designs, make adjustments, or just get a better understanding of how it all works together.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The way I got around the TW creation math was to write up a psychic builder power cat. with more math. But the math was more defined.

:D :lol: :angel:

EDIT: Okay since there is a curmudgeon in the topic, in my write up I separated the math for the psionic device and the math for ISP storage into different equations. So they don't interact with each other.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Just how many people have expressed the slightest interest in that, Andrew, even with your constant self-aggrandizement?
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Thanks , I was looking for help from someone more math savvy. I was wanting to be sure the equations I came up with was the correct ones.

Return to “Rifts®”