Abilities From Multiple Sources

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Abilities From Multiple Sources

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

After a long (ten year+) hiatus, my live action group decided to take a break from our usual games--mostly Vampire and Shadowrun--and have some fun playing old school Rifts at higher levels.

One of our players decided to try the Gun Master O.C.C. from World Book: China 2. He decided to go with Dog Boxing for his martial art, which gives Side Step, but also noticed that at 9th level he gained Dodge Bullets from his mystic martial arts.

This lead to a whole discussion about how you should handle gaining similar abilities from different sources. Side Step and Dodge Bullets are both distinctive variants of Automatic Dodge that each use different mechanics from one another. So we were wondering what the general consensus was when dealing with that sort of thing.

How do you resolve this sort of thing? Do these particular abilities work in conjunction with each other somehow, do you have to choose which one you use in any given situation, or something else entirely?
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Abilities From Multiple Sources

No suggestions on how to handle this sort of thing? :(
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You choose which one to use in any given situation. they do not blend or mix in any way, it's one or the other.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Crimson Dynamo wrote:...snip
How do you resolve this sort of thing? Do these particular abilities work in conjunction with each other somehow, do you have to choose which one you use in any given situation, or something else entirely?

cannon answers:
You use each dodge type separately.

If they are a part of the same fighting style, then you can use them in the same melee round.
If they are from different fighting styles then you have to choose which fighting style you are using that melee round. Only using the moves in the fighting style your char is using.

Opinions/Options:
If you GM wants a high powered game...or is a bit lazy, she/he might just let you use all your fighting styles moves in the same melee round.
Or the GM might let you combine the bonuses from different skills and/or fighting styles to let you have a bigger bonus.

But that is a GM mod'ing the rules for that individual game.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to know if there was a general consensus that deviated from that thought process.

That said, I did go back over and read the two abilities in question. Oddly, and despite the comments I've read about Gun Masters on this forum, I noticed that Dodge Bullets isn't a free action (or even an action, period) at all. It's a modification to dodge and parry that lets you halve your bonuses in order to avoid all penalties, most notably the -10 one against firearms. So I'm pretty much inclined to allow that to work with Side Flip or even regular Automatic Dodge/Automatic Parry if a player were to somehow gain access to those abilities instead.

Thanks for the answers regardless.

Return to “Rifts®”