Is there a description in any book for MDC cargo nets, tarps

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Is there a description in any book for MDC cargo nets, tarps

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

or blankets?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Is there a description in any book for MDC cargo nets, t

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Conversion Book 1 Revised, Page 140 has the Cyberhorseman's Sensory Depravation Net with 3 MDC but that is a weapon not a utility device but might be an useful starting point.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

MDC Nets from an assortment of Rifts Titles, nothing specifically for Cargo Nets that I could find
Rifts WB26 pg90-1: an Energized Eco-Wizard Sinew Net (50MDC)
Rifts WB21 pg163: Kittani Plasma Net (20 MDC)
Rifts WB21 pg141-2: Ectoplasmic Net Launcher Net (30MDC)
Rifts WB13 pg51 CN-1 Net Gun Net (1 MDC per square inch for an MDC net)
Rifts WB7 pg154-5: Energy Net (20 MDC)
Rifts WB7 pg174: Kittani Energy Net (30 MDC)
Rifts WB6 pg92-5: Hoplite Power Armor has an Optional TW Magical net (50MDC)
Rifts SB3 pg52: Ugawkwa Plasma Net (65MDC)

With a bit of work you could use the Mega-Rope (2MDC per 1-2ft of length MercOps pg117) or the Steel Tree Rope/cable (WB26pg79 ~1MDC per 1ft), if you calculate the length of all the rope that goes into making the net. WB5's XM-171C Heavy Cargo Hauler & Crane might also be worth a look (pg123 it has a 50MDC cable).

As for Tarps, as mentioned Naruni Camouflage sheets in Mercenaries could work, though MercOps has Tents (Hard Dome Shelters pg116) in 3 sizes each with an MDC value.

You might also want to review the Dinosaurs/Monsters in WB14 as they include MDC Hides items (armor, ponchos, tents, etc) in IIRC their value sub-section, possibly more outside of WB14.

EDIT:
WB16 pg120 has a TW Shadow Cloak
WB26 pg124 has an MDC Cape and pg81 also has more Steeltree products (Cape, Cloaks, Ponchos) that could be used as a stand-in for tarps.
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

For some reason I thought I saw MDC tarps in either the original or revised sourcebook, possibly under Northern Gun, or maybe one of the mercenaries books. But when I actually tried looking I couldnt find much. I think I will use the Merc MDC tents and work from there.

THANKS GUYS!

PSA this is for my smugglers campaign, so both the camouflage sheets and the cargo sheets will be useful.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I find Shadowlogan's collection of MDC fiber structures quite useful myself, so my thanks as well for this thread.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

giving MDC rope an MDC based on the length seems silly. I mean, there are certainly objects where the size of the object will basically determine how sturdy it is but in the case of rope, MDC per foot should mean that if you can deal that much MDC, the rope is cut at the point it was hit, not that a 50 foot rope is harder to slice in half with a vibro-knife than a 10 foot rope...
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Shark_Force wrote:giving MDC rope an MDC based on the length seems silly. I mean, there are certainly objects where the size of the object will basically determine how sturdy it is but in the case of rope, MDC per foot should mean that if you can deal that much MDC, the rope is cut at the point it was hit, not that a 50 foot rope is harder to slice in half with a vibro-knife than a 10 foot rope...

The MDC per length is a way to track how much of a rope an attack can destroy.

2 feet of mdc rope takes 2 MDC to cut, cutting the whole 50 section would be 50 MDC.

After all unless you are cutting the rope down the middle length wise you are not destroying 50 feet of rope you are just dealing with 1-2 feet.

The wording is a bit wonky but it is "200 sdc/2 mdc per one to two feet of length (dificult to cut.)" So that reads to me as 200 sdc to cut 1-2 feet of rope. Because he is talking about how hard it is to cut based on the length you are cutting.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:giving MDC rope an MDC based on the length seems silly. I mean, there are certainly objects where the size of the object will basically determine how sturdy it is but in the case of rope, MDC per foot should mean that if you can deal that much MDC, the rope is cut at the point it was hit, not that a 50 foot rope is harder to slice in half with a vibro-knife than a 10 foot rope...

2 feet of mdc rope takes 2 MDC to cut, cutting the whole 50 section would be 50 MDC.

After all unless you are cutting the rope down the middle length wise you are not destroying 50 feet of rope you are just dealing with 1-2 feet.

The wording is a bit wonky but it is "200 sdc/2 mdc per one to two feet of length (dificult to cut.)" So that reads to me as 200 sdc to cut 1-2 feet of rope. Because he is talking about how hard it is to cut based on the length you are cutting.

you're basically *never* cutting even 1-2 feet of rope, because a 1-2 foot wide edge is blunt and cannot *cut* anything. in practice, you are probably cutting a few millimetres (or, like 1/16 of an inch I guess?) at most, and even *that* would be an absurdly dull edge.

rope having an amount of MDC based on how *thick* it is makes sense. giving it MDC based on length pretty much never does, because it is never likely that you need to know how much damage it takes to destroy a rope lengthwise.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Shark_Force wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

you're basically *never* cutting even 1-2 feet of rope, because a 1-2 foot wide edge is blunt and cannot *cut* anything. in practice, you are probably cutting a few millimetres (or, like 1/16 of an inch I guess?) at most, and even *that* would be an absurdly dull edge.

rope having an amount of MDC based on how *thick* it is makes sense. giving it MDC based on length pretty much never does, because it is never likely that you need to know how much damage it takes to destroy a rope lengthwise.

MDC is to destroy somthing/make it unusable. So 2 MDC you destroy,cut fray 1-2 feet of rope making that section unusable, not that you are dicing up 2 feet for rope. This is not clean cut like a body fixer removing your apendex. Basically how much leanth you loose if it is not cut propperly.

XDC is kind of an abstract concept that does not always make physical sense.

By the logic of amount you are cutting then total XDC for something does not make sense. IE to cut some one in half you not cutting all the main body just as small section, or aguments about each attack having to track damage separately. Because a scratch on your belly is not going to make it easier to shoot some one in the heart.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

taalismn wrote:I find Shadowlogan's collection of MDC fiber structures quite useful myself, so my thanks as well for this thread.

Thanks. And that shouldn't be considered a complete list (I don't have a complete Rifts collection). I also found a few more items that might be useful that I added.

Shorty Lickens wrote:For some reason I thought I saw MDC tarps in either the original or revised sourcebook, possibly under Northern Gun, or maybe one of the mercenaries books. But when I actually tried looking I couldnt find much. I think I will use the Merc MDC tents and work from there.

THANKS GUYS!

PSA this is for my smugglers campaign, so both the camouflage sheets and the cargo sheets will be useful.

If you did see something like MDC tarps in a book and it wasn't something on the list generated here I have to wonder if its one of those "bits" that get included in an adventure module or "fluff" descriptions of areas/communities (I recall finding bits like this in WB1o).
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The entry for "SleepSafe Sentry" tents, found in WB34:Northern Gun 2, pg 254 is what comes to mind. At the end of the description for the Command and Control Center (a 8'x9'x22' modular hut) is the line "the tent fabric is made of M.D.C. micro-fibers with 8 M.D.C. for every seven foot (2.1 m) wide section of material."

Return to “Rifts®”