Nexii of the Indian Ocean

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Nexii of the Indian Ocean

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm checking out the map on page 154 of World Book 32:Lemuria, and am curious as to people's opinions on a couple of locations.

There are several ley lines in Bangladesh, most of which intersect a line running roughly from east to west. It looks as if a little shy of the western end of that ley line there's a nexus of three lines, which I'm thinking would be pretty close to modern Kolkata.

The second major nexus near India is off of the western coast, near the modern Gulf of Kutch. There's some narrative resonance in placing it on Bet Dwarka, even in games looking to perhaps downplay RCB2's depiction of Hinduism.

The third nexus I'm trying to place is in Indonesia. Looking at 154, it's the intersection of two lines with the line running north-south just to the west of the word Indonesia. Mount Cikuray would be a decent enough spot for that nexus.

I'd love to hear any suggestions, whether for alternate locations, fun possible tie ins, maps from other books, whatever.
thorr-kan
Adventurer

Re: Nexii of the Indian Ocean

Unread post by thorr-kan »

I think those are good for you nexii.

I don't know of any other maps that detail the Indian Ocean. I went down that rabbit hole a few years ago, and Lemuria was the best that was pointed out to me. Rifts Antarctica *might* have something, but I haven't seen the RAW publication, so I don't know.
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/ ... challenge/
Curbludgeon
Hero

Thanks!

I'm pretty interested in trying to place ley lines and nexii off any of the Rifts maps, oceanic or no. The Sovietski book, for example, is a little awkward to use with its conical projections, but I don't remember off hand if a major nexus in the region is detailed.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Couldn't Rifts Underseas and maybe Coalition Navy be of some additional help on that subject perhaps? :?:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

SolCannibal wrote:Couldn't Rifts Underseas and maybe Coalition Navy be of some additional help on that subject perhaps? :?:

In terms of easy to spot map references, I can rule out Underseas. The only Ley Line related maps in the WB7 are on pg12, and they only show the Magic Triangles (1SW of Atlantis, 1SE SA, 1SE Africa, 1SE of Australia, 1SE of Japan, 1 basically on the eastern half of the Mediterranean Sea) which are created by Ley Lines.

If any book might have something on the Indian Ocean I would look at Africa or Australia (books I don't have), and maybe China (if it's extended out toward the Indian Ocean, this is a book pair I don't have). Check the GM's Guide's Ley Line map section (if you have it, but don't have Africa or Australia).
SolCannibal
Champion

ShadowLogan wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Couldn't Rifts Underseas and maybe Coalition Navy be of some additional help on that subject perhaps? :?:

In terms of easy to spot map references, I can rule out Underseas. The only Ley Line related maps in the WB7 are on pg12, and they only show the Magic Triangles (1SW of Atlantis, 1SE SA, 1SE Africa, 1SE of Australia, 1SE of Japan, 1 basically on the eastern half of the Mediterranean Sea) which are created by Ley Lines.

Good to know.

ShadowLogan wrote:If any book might have something on the Indian Ocean I would look at Africa or Australia (books I don't have), and maybe China (if it's extended out toward the Indian Ocean, this is a book pair I don't have). Check the GM's Guide's Ley Line map section (if you have it, but don't have Africa or Australia).

I myself thought of suggesting Africa, China or even Japan (what may be less far-fetched than in seems considering the last has some little bits of info on Thailand and the Phillipines, for example) for search purposes. Australia and GM's Guide's sound like good alternatives too.

Did a quick search on Africa, no luck with nexii, but got the following:

WB4: Africa Pg 121-122 wrote:The densest population areas are found around the most fertile and lush areas with relatively high rainfall.
In Kenya that area is the central highlands, the coast of Lake Victoria and the coast of the Indian Ocean.

Tanzania is a land of tropical forests and scrubland that sweeps into the surrounding and similar wilderness of Uganda and Kenya directly to the north, Zaire to the west and Zambia and Mozambique to the south. Its largest modem cities were once found along the Indian Ocean, but the eruption of rifts and subsequent disasters have destroyed or swallowed them all.
The Tanzania of Rifts Earth is a vast wilderness. The famous Lake Victoria sits along its western border. It is around the lake that one will find many villages of farmers and fishermen. A few small tribes of tree people and agogwe can also be found in the densest parts of the forest. The largest villages and the town of Mahenge are found toward the ocean's coast.

After getting those bits i did a quick google search and well, according to the maps, towards the ocean's coast is clearly not the same as in the coast, but well, having a surviving or rebuilt city mentioned is a start for certain, that's more than we get in a bunch of places.

Australia, unfortunately, apparently has nothing, at least that i could find.

Also, page 142 of Pantheons of the Megaverse does cite the Daityas, monstrous creatures of magic that are sworn enemies of the indian gods, frequently associate with demons or other enemies of the deities and prefer the environment of the sea, oceans or deep lakes. They live in an underwater city called Hiranyapura, that is unique in that its superstructure can teleport and dimensionally teleport whenever and wherever its rulers wish it to go. According to the book, they have traded with the Splugorth and other transdimensional civilizations and often capture slaves for sale to those markets. If Hiranyapura appears on Rifts Earth, the city will immediately establish diplomatic relations with Lord Splynncryth. A permanent colony of Daityas might also be established somewhere in the vast oceans of the Earth.

In fact, the section on the Brahmanic/Vedic pantheon is a veritable goldmine of info for games set in the Indian subcontinent and its vicinity, as can be seen here (sorry for the blatant self-advertisement)
Last edited by SolCannibal on Sun May 29, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

SolCannibal wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:If any book might have something on the Indian Ocean I would look at Africa or Australia (books I don't have), and maybe China (if it's extended out toward the Indian Ocean, this is a book pair I don't have). Check the GM's Guide's Ley Line map section (if you have it, but don't have Africa or Australia).

I myself thought of suggesting Africa, China or even Japan (what may be less far-fetched than in seems considering the last has some little bits of info on Thailand and the Phillipines, for example) for search purposes. Australia and GM's Guide's sound like good alternatives too.

Did a quick search on Africa, no luck with nexii, but got the following:

I also thought of Japan, and did check it, and it does have a Ley Line map (Japan and the immediate ocean area), but its only that specific region with nothing to cover the desired region (Indian Ocean).

I guess that leaves Australia then for what the OP is looking for.
Curbludgeon
Hero

China 1 and 2 don't contain a ley line map, which would presumably have been part of the more mystically dedicated third book. Australia has a map which provides more detail on ley lines on the continent and Tasmania, and shows the southwestern edge of the South Pacific Triangle which extends towards Rapa Nui and New Zealand, but only shows lines as far north as part of the line shown on the Lemuria map extending across the Torres Strait to Western New Guinea. The Australian ley line map is the same as that shown in the GMG. Having flipped through that again after some time, I was surprised by just how many ley lines were shown intersecting at the Millennium Tree of Staufen.

I really appreciate interest being shown for this sort of thing. Thanks! Moving out from just the Indian Ocean, if there are any nexii which are on any of the cruder maps but whose location isn't made explicit in the text, I'd love to hear any opinions of fun real world things nearby which might come into play.
SolCannibal
Champion

Curbludgeon wrote:I'm checking out the map on page 154 of World Book 32:Lemuria, and am curious as to people's opinions on a couple of locations.

There are several ley lines in Bangladesh, most of which intersect a line running roughly from east to west. It looks as if a little shy of the western end of that ley line there's a nexus of three lines, which I'm thinking would be pretty close to modern Kolkata.

For some reason i was hyper-focused in another nexus in what seems to be somewhere near the southernmost tip (in what i think might be the modern border between Kerala & Tamil Nadu), so going to West Bengal really confused me initially but i did get my bearings eventually. Yeah, Kolkata or somewhere near definitely makes sense for that one.

(The one in the middle of the country, i have no idea at all, due to how small and weirdly jagged India in Rifts seems to have become in relation to our contemporary maps. I'm guessing somewhere in either Madhya Pradesh or Maharashtra but admit i'm completely shooting in the dark here)

Curbludgeon wrote:The second major nexus near India is off of the western coast, near the modern Gulf of Kutch. There's some narrative resonance in placing it on Bet Dwarka, even in games looking to perhaps downplay RCB2's depiction of Hinduism.

Sounds good to me.

Curbludgeon wrote:The third nexus I'm trying to place is in Indonesia. Looking at 154, it's the intersection of two lines with the line running north-south just to the west of the word Indonesia. Mount Cikuray would be a decent enough spot for that nexus.

I'm very unsure of the map in the Indonesia part - the low resolution/scaling, combined with ley lines possibly covering map lines or borders, seems to have merged Sumatra and part of Java in one extended composite or something. If so, i'd say that spot could be closer to Bali or West Nusa Tenggara, actually.

Either that or Sumatra became much thinner to the point of being almost unrecognizable since the coming of the Rifts. If that is the case, now that i thought of it, then West Java and Mount Cikuray do indeed make great fits.

Beside these, there appears to be a point where two lines cross in the middle of sea, between the two isles above the word Indonesia and that i'm guessing are the remains of South & Southeast Sulawesi.

Philippines....well, that's a funny one because for starters the archipelago seems to have gained some land in the middle? It definitely looks more dense compared to the ones i found through wikipedia or google. So i'm not even going to hazard a guess for where that nexus off the eastern coast is supposed to be. :lol: :?

As an aside, does Rifts Australia speak of what seems to be a two line nexus in New Guinea? Just curious.
SolCannibal
Champion

SolCannibal wrote:
Curbludgeon wrote:The third nexus I'm trying to place is in Indonesia. Looking at 154, it's the intersection of two lines with the line running north-south just to the west of the word Indonesia. Mount Cikuray would be a decent enough spot for that nexus.

I'm very unsure of the map in the Indonesia part - the low resolution/scaling, combined with ley lines possibly covering map lines or borders, seems to have merged Sumatra and part of Java in one extended composite or something. If so, i'd say that spot could be closer to Bali or West Nusa Tenggara, actually.

Either that or Sumatra became much thinner to the point of being almost unrecognizable since the coming of the Rifts. If that is the case, now that i thought of it, then West Java and Mount Cikuray do indeed make great fits.

Beside these, there appears to be a point where two lines cross in the middle of sea, between the two isles above the word Indonesia and that i'm guessing are the remains of South & Southeast Sulawesi.

Philippines....well, that's a funny one because for starters the archipelago seems to have gained some land in the middle? It definitely looks more dense compared to the ones i found through wikipedia or google. So i'm not even going to hazard a guess for where that nexus off the eastern coast is supposed to be. :lol: :?

As an aside, does Rifts Australia speak of what seems to be a two line nexus in New Guinea? Just curious.

Decided to check Rifts Australia for info on that possible two line nexus in New Guinea - and guess what? Absolutely nothing of course, book barely mentions New Guinea at all, might be said..... :roll:

Return to “Rifts®”