Rift's Military OCC's

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sambot
Adventurer

Re: Rift's Military OCC's

Unread post by Sambot »

I don't know why cultural, educational, and background, etc. type skills can't be optional. A lot already do have extra skills based on region or organization. Adding the above would just be an optional extension of that.

I can't say I'd be in favor of eliminating OCCs though. Sure there's some overlap but that's probably a good thing. It's already a little frustrating having to look up skills and OCCs. Eliminating them would mean more things to look up and more books to carry around. Besides, there may be similarities but there's also differences. Not every military is going to train the same way. Even the same military changes their training over time. I think having the extra skills above would help make them different. I also use the older Rifts OCCs as well as the Ultimate Edition. I use Rifts for older CS personnel and other militaries with OCCs based on CS ones. I use Rifts UE for newer CS personnel. Add in educational and background skills and the Characters end up very different.

Oh Mutants in Orbit does have OCCs. They're on pages 7-9. They may be written for After the Bomb but not only do they work for Rifts but they tell you what they'd be considered for Rifts. For example, Survival Systems Technician is considered a modified Operator specializing in life support systems.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Rift's Military OCC's

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

desrocfc wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:<snip>

First I want to say that any change to the character creation and OCC system, at this point, would necessitate a complete revision and probably require new versions of existing Rifts books. Just the introduction of RUE caused a massive issue with old OCCs requiring GMs to make revisions to bring them into line. OCCs in books like Rifts England and Underseas come to mind, but really any book before RUE is a problem. They even did an update of all the Triax OCCs from WB 5 and made it official material in the Rifter.

The whole principle behind my post was as a landing pad for any new and updated rules. What I would propose is a book with Rifts 3.0 rules and updated Classes (be they OCCs again, or something like my ROC system) with some setting updates for the world post 109 PA or further. Might as well scrap everything and start from fresh, essentially replicating the experience when we first opened the Rifts RPG. Of note, I have not touched any of the Rifters, and have no intention to at this point.

Ok I am confused because you just contradicted your reply to me. Seams like you are claiming your approach is both not to scrap every thing and scrap everything at the same time.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”