Godling R.C.C. Magic Powers and others

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Godling R.C.C. Magic Powers and others

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

Greetings,

What does the power 10 of the Godling R.C.C. cover?

Magic Powers: The character has all the abilities of a practitioner
of magic
. Pick one: Ley Line Walker, Shifter, Mystic or
Warlock

This has many sub-questions:
    1. Does this mean that if pick a class I get all the initial spell knowledge, OCC bonuses, P.P.E amount and class abilities?
    2. If I pick this multiple times (Say Shifter + Ley Line Walker), and I get OCC bonuses / P.P.E amount, are those cumulative or only the largest apply?
    3. What happens if a class grants bonuses to spell magic at different levels than the other?
      a. Apply each bonus to the respective spell list.
      b. Use the largest bonus for all spells.
      c. Combine both.

And a final question, there is part that mentions:

Remember, super powerful and courageous warriors, cyborgs,
mutants, D-bees, practitioners of magic and the occasional priest may
be considered or officially elevated to the position of demigod or even
godling, without having been born of a god (or possessing the power
of that O.C.C.).

Is there any rules anywhere for a character to actually become a Godling R.C.C. not just get the recognition of one??

Thanks,
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter11
Wanderer

Re: Godling R.C.C. Magic Powers and others

Unread post by Rifter11 »

1. Yes with the exception of P.P.E. which is 3D4X10+20 +4D6 per level.
2. Same as above. P.P.E. is 3D4x10+20 +4D6 per level
3. I believe, and this is pure opinion, that they would stack.

Powers Unlimited 2 for Heroes Unlimited has rules for making Godlings too but I doubt that's what you are looking for.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Rifter11 wrote:1. Yes with the exception of P.P.E. which is 3D4X10+20 +4D6 per level.

Powers Unlimited 2 for Heroes Unlimited has rules for making Godlings too but I doubt that's what you are looking for.

Agreed.

Everything stacks, and PPE is determined by the Godling RCC, not the #10 classes.

Yes, it's overpowered. No, none of those munchkin ideas you're having are new. Yes, apparently other magical classes are also acceptable. Warlocks are fine, but have only one life sign, not dual life signs unless you #10 twice on Warlock. We already know how bad/good/Ferkelberger it is. Enjoy your power-gaming, we all go through this when we first read that book.

Also, every bit of this is in the FAQ, and still it's asked on the forums at least every couple months. Check the "search" function and you'll find a wealth of information.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Rifter11 wrote:1. Yes with the exception of P.P.E. which is 3D4X10+20 +4D6 per level.

Thanks for the answers!

Just to be sure for answer 3: at level 10, both Shifters and Ley Line Walkers have +4 to spell strength, so under stacking rules, a Godling that picks both would have +8 to spell strength, right?
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

ITWastrel wrote:Agreed.

Everything stacks, and PPE is determined by the Godling RCC, not the #10 classes.

Yes, it's overpowered. No, none of those munchkin ideas you're having are new. Yes, apparently other magical classes are also acceptable. Warlocks are fine, but have only one life sign, not dual life signs unless you #10 twice on Warlock. We already know how bad/good/Ferkelberger it is. Enjoy your power-gaming, we all go through this when we first read that book.

Also, every bit of this is in the FAQ, and still it's asked on the forums at least every couple months. Check the "search" function and you'll find a wealth of information.

Thanks for your reply, can you point where in the FAQ is this available?

The search function is extremely frustrating as every time I search something, I am being asked to wait before searching again, it is plain easier to ask on a thread.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I believe that the intent is that the char with the #10 godling power are, for practical concideration, that class (sans the skills set of that class). Note; these abilities are intuitive to the character. Meaning the they were not "learned", only "known". As such the abilities gained from "learning magic" are excluded from the char's abilities, like the skills are excluded.

PPE? The godling and demigod stats already cover this. Even if the #10 power is selected multiple times.

Starting spells: the GL Or DG would start with the numbers of spells at the levels stated in the picked class.

Class abilities: all of the ones from the class selected, except being able to be taught a spell from a mage/practisioner of the magic sciences.
The DG or GL with he #10 power is equivalent to a practionaer of the magical arts.
(If you don't understand the difference, these terms are defined in the front of the Mysteries of Magic 1 gamebook.)

Class bonuses: This strays very much into the realm of opionon: The way I would handle godlings that have multiple #10 powers, to Keep It Simple, to select one as dominate and use that #10 power's bonuses.

Level up spells: same as Class bonuses.

Actually Becoming a DG or GL?.... There are none. See your GM for her/his ideas on this.
Note: the tale of Gilgamesh, see the RCB2, does suggest a way. But even this is not confirmed, and would only be avalible to those of evil alignment.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

lbeaumanior wrote:
ITWastrel wrote:Agreed.

Thanks for your reply, can you point where in the FAQ is this available?

The search function is extremely frustrating as every time I search something, I am being asked to wait before searching again, it is plain easier to ask on a thread.

Palladium Books® Games Q. & A.

Games F.A.Q. Archive
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I follow the Rule of Cool with Godlings.
Say I want to make a character who will fill a specific niche in a pantheon, such as a God (eventually) of Wolves and Winter. I'd take Air Warlock, Shapeshifting (Wolf), and Impervious to Cold.
The Godling gets the PPE designated for a magic-using character of the type. No skills, aside from the odd ones from the Life Sign (Sense Air Impurities, et cetera)

As for becoming a Demi-god, eventually Godling, eventually God... I'd say it would involve gaining a lot of worshippers, possibly some quests from time to time for specific artifacts and so on
Last edited by Fenris2020 on Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

For people's information about the two forums noted above...

Note that...
Quote from "Cannical Status of the FAQ"....
Some folks occassionally ask whether or not the answers provided in this FAQ are true and canonical. The short answer is: They're not.

The only truly canonical sources are the published texts from Palladium Books.

However, GMs are encouraged to make their choices about what they want in their own games.
------
Note also that,....As for the Q&A forum....
The ideas the OP's accept as working for their own games, are just that, house rules that work for their own games. They are not canon answers to questions.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

For people's information about the two forums noted above...

Note that...
Quote from "Cannical Status of the FAQ"....
Some folks occassionally ask whether or not the answers provided in this FAQ are true and canonical. The short answer is: They're not.

The only truly canonical sources are the published texts from Palladium Books.

However, GMs are encouraged to make their choices about what they want in their own games.
------
Note also that,....As for the Q&A forum....
The ideas the OP's accept as working for their own games, are just that, house rules that work for their own games. They are not canon answers to questions.

Kitty may be saying it in the most condescending and trollish way possible, but they're right. Nothing on any of these boards is canon. Nobody actually expects that our forum posts are somehow official truths, but now we have a reminder.

Yay us.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

This is how our community has treated/interpreted/clarified the (as usual) terrible clarity of Palladium's writing.
https://www.explorersunlimited.com/eu/v ... 3#p1361463
ImageImageImage
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

You would get all the spells and power listing

The wording for PPE does not allow for the base to stack.
They set both set a base PPE, or amount you start with, you can not have two starting numbers for a stats.

If A set it to X and B set it to Y then it is either X or Y.

If it was add X to PPE then they could stack.

Looking for president of PB handling multiple base PPE, not seeing a clear answer in rifts. Expanding to all PB, prescience is set in PF adventures on the high seas. That set the prescience for PPE of going with the higher of the two.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Another fun thing is, Hand-to-Hand: Any.
So, if it fits your character, get a Martial Art from Ninjas and Superspies
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

lbeaumanior wrote:

Thanks for the answers!

Just to be sure for answer 3: at level 10, both Shifters and Ley Line Walkers have +4 to spell strength, so under stacking rules, a Godling that picks both would have +8 to spell strength, right?

Unfortunately the way the power is written is a little vague (as usual) so that GM's can make their own determination on how a power works. I would say that the Spell Strength only applies to the Spells specifically chosen for each "Class" chosen by the character. So any spell the Ley Line Walker would have access to gets the +4 and any spell the Shifter would have access to gets a +4 as well. Basically you need to choose if you are casting that spell as a Line Walker or a Shifter to determine how effective it will be. That is how I would handle it.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

How I run this is you take the best bonuses from what ever classes you pick.

So if you get +4 spell strength from two different classes you would get +4 spell strength, not +8 spell strength.

You get all spells listed that you would from each class you pick. I really dislike the "all spells equal to your class level" thing. I also allow them to learn spells as you would from whatever class you pick.

This is just how I would run it, not how you would.
Blue_Lion
Knight

The rules for multi classing in adventures in the high seas. (PB official rules for multi classing) say go wit the better of the two.

It is not you get 3d4X10+20 PPE it is your base becomes 3d4X10+20 PPE by wording the two would over write each-other not stack. (base is a starting number you can not start from two numbers at once. You can not have two base ppe at once only one can be the base.

For them to stack it would have to read- add X to PPE.
The way it reads is base- PPE becomes X.
So with two magic OCC one is setting the start point to X and one to Y.
So you have to start with either X or Y.

I am confused where people get the idea that every thing stacks that is not consistent with how PPE is written.
An argument can be made for PPE per level stacking because it is from one RCC, but calling two things a base does not really allow them to add together.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

boxee wrote:How I run this is you take the best bonuses from what ever classes you pick.

So if you get +4 spell strength from two different classes you would get +4 spell strength, not +8 spell strength.

You get all spells listed that you would from each class you pick. I really dislike the "all spells equal to your class level" thing. I also allow them to learn spells as you would from whatever class you pick.

This is just how I would run it, not how you would.

That is in line wit PF rules for changing OCCs found in PF adventures on the high seas pg 10. (the only official rules for changing OCCs in PB, more detailed than the little blurb in the cutting room floor.)

High seas adventure pg 10 wrote: O.C.C. bonuses such as pluses on initiative, to strike, save vs magic or horror factor and so on, are accumulative in the sense that the character can draw on bonuses acquired from both O.C.C.s. However, the player only uses the higher of the two when a bonus is repeated.

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

lbeaumanior wrote:Greetings,
    1. Does this mean that if pick a class I get all the initial spell knowledge, OCC bonuses, P.P.E amount and class abilities?
    2. If I pick this multiple times (Say Shifter + Ley Line Walker), and I get OCC bonuses / P.P.E amount, are those cumulative or only the largest apply?
    3. What happens if a class grants bonuses to spell magic at different levels than the other?
      a. Apply each bonus to the respective spell list.
      b. Use the largest bonus for all spells.
      c. Combine both.

1 - Yes and no. "...all the abilities..." As long as it was not a (*CC or 2nd Skill) skill, you have it.
Black letter in the description base PPE amount 3D4X10+20 for casters. So, your walker wouild still be able to feel supes / actively cast spell magic / etc, but would not have access to the skill bonus packages. Just the RCC's skills and skill bonuses.
2 - Lots of math...LOTS of math. ;) Track all, and the highest at that level applies. So...both. Cumulative, AND largest applies! :lol:
3 - See #2 above! ;) The various bonuses apply to how your body handles PPE flow (best i.e.: Spell Strength). I look at it like the write-up for Secondary OCC... Until the (new) class bonuses/skill %s *exceed* the old OCC's, the older ones apply.

lbeaumanior wrote:And a final question, there is part that mentions:

Remember, super powerful and courageous warriors, cyborgs,
mutants, D-bees, practitioners of magic and the occasional priest may
be considered or officially elevated to the position of demigod or even
godling, without having been born of a god (or possessing the power
of that O.C.C.).

Is there any rules anywhere for a character to actually become a Godling R.C.C. not just get the recognition of one??

Thanks,

Forgot all about that part! For the mortal to immortal, I'd say slowly add bonuses until they "fit" the RCC. For immortal to Deity, worshippers mainly. Support of a pantheon would be good too! :lol:
So, obviously, all homebrew choice.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Rifts®”