Bionics Sourcebook thoughts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Bionics Sourcebook thoughts

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

I was going through the Bionics Sourcebook yesterday, and it got me to thinking: There's prices in there for all the organs BUT there's no for the veins, arteries, nerves or the connecting tubes that connect the organs to one another (I.E. the tubes that connect the liver and bladder to each other and to the intestines). What do you think said prices be to replace them as needed?

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger,
President of Lemenger Biologics Unlimited.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Bionics Sourcebook thoughts

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Rathorc Lemenger wrote:I was going through the Bionics Sourcebook yesterday, and it got me to thinking: There's prices in there for all the organs BUT there's no for the veins, arteries, nerves or the connecting tubes that connect the organs to one another (I.E. the tubes that connect the liver and bladder to each other and to the intestines). What do you think said prices be to replace them as needed?

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger,
President of Lemenger Biologics Unlimited.

I have always viewed the price of the organs as including the basic connections for the organs so synthetic veins and arteries as well as the leads necessary for the nervous system. Just seemed easier. Now if you are looking for prices in case a person is injured and needs artery and vein implants to replace shredded ones I view that as included in the cost of high end medical treatment,

I like to keep things like this simple for my own sanity.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

always factored them in with operating costs- you roll 'em in with the gauze, gloves, ect...
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would assume that if the only thing that required replacing is some of the veins and arteries, the price would be a faction of a full organ, and would probably be acheived using cultured (aka 'cloned'[1]) tissues so wouldn't qualify as cybernetics.

[1] i prefer the term 'cultured' because i see the process as one where cell samples are taken from the person and used to grow a part for implantation, while the term 'cloning' suggests substantially more modification of the sample prior to its use and rather more elaborate and *complete* resulting product. honestly it makes for a fine line of distinction, but i think 'cultured' gets more into the feel of how it would work.. you are growing mass of tissues in a dish much like you would grow moss or fungus or bacteria. you are adding a seed sample of cells (most likely skin cells which have been altered via a simple process into stemcells) into a growth medium where they grow over an organic framework to produce the required parts.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”