Cyber Knight Battle Fury Blade question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Cyber Knight Battle Fury Blade question.

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

It says on the description for the Battle Fury Blade that Cyber Knights prize Battle Fury Blades. How much ISP would it take to fuel these weapons? It doesn't say in the description.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Cyber Knight Battle Fury Blade question.

Unread post by Orin J. »

isn't it a pretty clean "2 ISP for 1 PPE of power" conversion....nearly everywhere?
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Orin J. wrote:isn't it a pretty clean "2 ISP for 1 PPE of power" conversion....nearly everywhere?

Ah ok. Didnt know the official ruling on it.
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i have no idea if it's stated as official, it's just the conversion that's used in everything offcial. still can't imagine it's the exception to the rule just to **** off cyberknights.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

(SHIFTY) wrote:It says on the description for the Battle Fury Blade that Cyber Knights prize Battle Fury Blades. How much ISP would it take to fuel these weapons? It doesn't say in the description.

The norm conversion is 1 PPE = 2 ISP in, and is specifically called out in the RUE TW Device "rules" (RUE pg132).

What is interesting is that the Cyber-Knight would need 40 PPE or 80 ISP, for a by the book version and I just don't see many Cyber Knights having that much of either. A Cyber-Knight does have 6d6 PPE (no PE modifier?), which means a Cyber-Knight has on average 21 PPE starting (if anything modifies this...), ISP is a bit better but it requires several levels under their belt (37-49 ISP average @ 1st level for Major/Master Psi levels, with 8 levels for a Master PSI on average to reach 80 ISP, or 14 levels for a Major, a minor/non-Psychics forget it on straight average rolls).

A Modified Battle Fury Blade designed to use the Life Source Spell (Fed of Magic, pg132 original), which RUE does with the TW Lightblade could provide 40PPE for a total of 80 SDC/HP damage to activate the weapon. Which I want to say is totally doable, by Level 8 with average rolls (actually this doesn't count the 2x selectable Physical Skills they are required to select or PE modifiers to starting HP total, Boxing & Wrestling alone could allow it at Level 2 on average rolls alone). It's also possible to reduce the activation costs with a custom made BFB (per RUE rules).

Then again even without the BFB special power, the weapon would still be attractive to the Cyber Knight & Juicer based on the damage alone. And a typical Juicer is likely to have an even harder time with the PPE or ISP requirements IINM, though they could likely handle a few 80 SDC/HP costs via a Life Source modification.
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter11
Wanderer

Unread post by Rifter11 »

(SHIFTY) wrote:It says on the description for the Battle Fury Blade that Cyber Knights prize Battle Fury Blades. How much ISP would it take to fuel these weapons? It doesn't say in the description.

What book is the BFB in?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Rifter11 wrote:

What book is the BFB in?

WB16 Federation of Magic (original, pg 119-20, I do not know about the revised edition) Rifts Book of Magic (pg317)
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

ShadowLogan wrote:

The norm conversion is 1 PPE = 2 ISP in, and is specifically called out in the RUE TW Device "rules" (RUE pg132).

What is interesting is that the Cyber-Knight would need 40 PPE or 80 ISP, for a by the book version and I just don't see many Cyber Knights having that much of either. A Cyber-Knight does have 6d6 PPE (no PE modifier?), which means a Cyber-Knight has on average 21 PPE starting (if anything modifies this...), ISP is a bit better but it requires several levels under their belt (37-49 ISP average @ 1st level for Major/Master Psi levels, with 8 levels for a Master PSI on average to reach 80 ISP, or 14 levels for a Major, a minor/non-Psychics forget it on straight average rolls).

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. The costs to power the weapon are pretty steep for the limited PPE and ISP for the Cyber Knight. It doesn't seem reasonable that they would hold them in such high regard.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

I haven't done a search for other TW Weapon/Items desired/used by other classes that has the same disconnect, but I find it hard to believe this is the only one for some reason.

One thing the BFB has going for it is its melee damage (6d6) is pretty high for a melee weapon even when not energized, so even without activating the BFB feature it would be attractive to a melee fighter as most melee Tech weapons top out around 3-4d6, and a CK would need to be high level (15 for non-Master, Level 9 for a Master) to reach 6d6 with the Psi-Sword
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I think Cyber-Knights can fuel TW stuff with their PPE
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Axelmania wrote:I think Cyber-Knights can fuel TW stuff with their PPE

Yeah, they get 6d6 PPE. That's enough to let them use TW devices and to use PPE with the TW devices, even if they weren't psychic.

Although, if they roll low, they might not be able to fuel very many.

And I don't believe the rules ever discuss mixing and matching, using a mix of both PPE and ISP to fuel a TW item.
I might allow it, but I don't think it'd be canon.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Some TW devices explicitly allow it but I assumed they were outliers because they worked with spells that had psi equiv like TK

I recall in rMB for example you could ISP or cast telekinesis (couldn't load in raw PPE mind you) to recharge a TW-converted railgun but not laser pistol
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Axelmania wrote:I think Cyber-Knights can fuel TW stuff with their PPE

Yeah, they get 6d6 PPE. That's enough to let them use TW devices and to use PPE with the TW devices, even if they weren't psychic.

Although, if they roll low, they might not be able to fuel very many.

And I don't believe the rules ever discuss mixing and matching, using a mix of both PPE and ISP to fuel a TW item.
I might allow it, but I don't think it'd be canon.

In the case of the BFB though, even rolling high on PPE will result in an insufficient amount (cost is 40 PPE) for a baseline version, and as psychics they'd need to be fairly high level. AFAIK you can't mix TW activation energy.
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

Couldn't a Cyber-Knight use a PPE Talisman or other PPE Battery to power the BFB? Surely if they can afford the BFB they can afford a talisman as well.
Axelmania
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:In the case of the BFB though, even rolling high on PPE will result in an insufficient amount (cost is 40 PPE) for a baseline version
AFAIK you can't mix TW activation energy.

RUE 132 makes ISP subbing for PPE basic part of TW stuff unless a "trigger lock" is added (a lot of the devices in RMB had that)

The example only mentions a full substitution (20 ISP for 10 PPE) but if someone wanted to do 5 PPE + 10 ISP it wouldn't seem that game-wrecking.

If not, then you could use ISP to power some kind of "restore PPE" type spell... though I can't remember if there was one of those.

Return to “Rifts®”