What are some of your House Rules that go against Canon?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: What are some of your House Rules that go against Canon?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I divide rounds into 15, 1 second segments and then divide the number of attacks evenly based on a pre distributed chart. All characters have a Combat rating which is basically all their stats averaged plus any initiative bonuses. Only the person with the highest score rolls initiative rolls to determine if friends or foes go first. If a 1 is rolled the enemy gets to take all their actions first with the team having basically been surprised. If a 20 is rolled then the players get to take all of their actions first. Otherwise only the first action of the turn is determined by the init. roll.

You really need to take a look at Hackmaster or Aces & 8s; they did away with rounds entirely, instead basing everything on seconds of action. Shooting takes time, aiming takes time, melee attacks have delays between them.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

I figure that after a year of weekly sessions, players should be around level 10. It's arbitrary, but I agree with some comments above that you don't still want to be low or mid level after 50 sessions of play, especially when, due to time constraints and missed sessions that can take much more than a year. Level 10 is around 100k xp for most classes, so I try to average 2k xp per session. If it was a short session or not much happened, I'll go low. If the PCs did amazing things I'll go high. But an average of 2k per session seems to be my sweet spot.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:I've decided to multiply the XP everyone gets by 3; it takes too long to level up.

This isn't meant to be aggressive, i'm simply curious: how long do you feel it should take to level up, and why?

Having lived a non-sedentary life, I'd say that levelling should be quite a bit faster than Palladium's XP chart would allow for; not as fast as some competitor games maybe, but if your character has been doing stuff for 5 years of you playing the character once or twice a week, that character should be higher than 6th level.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Elemental magic spells beyond level 8.
Because I really wanted to create spells for the Lvl 8+ region of achievement. :D :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
killgore444
Wanderer
Comment: Brains are of little value to a warrior if they are no longer contained in his broken skull.

Unread post by killgore444 »

Most of the actual house rules I use are character creation based. And consist of things like picking a race first and everyone keeping track of their Chi, even if they don't use it, etc. But not all of them.
A couple that pop into my head are:

All attributes continue to increase and improve past 30, use the same chart and extrapolate. However, all of them offer some sort of benefit for being over 20 that PS offers for being over 16 (except speed).

I use advanced skill modifying from Rifter #30. You can also use skills to train yourself in unusual abilities such as Sorcerous Proficiencies or to ignore metal or wear armor without disrupt PPE like in the RMB. You can also use them to gain more psionic powers and/or ISP as well as PPE. If you have super powers you can use skills to improve them (all powers you have must work as a synergistic whole, so I have no issue with you training to increase your power as long as you're realistic about the cost).

I use a variant form of PPE channeling from the Rifter.

I allow duel classes, just add the XP cost to level together. When doing ISP and PPE, either keep separate tabs and allow no crossover, or rule for the 1st level on each and take the highest, but add the per level improvement for the lower one as a 1st level boom, and then add the per level increase together after that. Likewise you gain the skills of both classes, use the expert rules from Rifter #30 whenever duplicate skills come up.

No Elemental Fusionists. I use Warlocks. They must pick a primary element, but can still use the other elements. All spells and summons from primary element are cast at +1 level. All spells and summons from opposed elements are cast at -1 level. They gain the same PPE as Shifters (1d6x10 plus 70 adding 5d6 per level after). In many ways, a Warlock is just a Shifter who made a more exclusive pact with the elemental forces. They may, per action, channel 4 PPE per level times the level of the Ley Line. Warlocks learn, at 1st level, 4 spells per each level levels 1-4 (2 must be from primary element, opposed element costs 2 choices), and 1 spell from each level 5-8 which MUST be from primary element.

Not many changes to Shifters other than then the changes to PPE (1d6x10 plus 70 adding 5d6 per level after). This gives the same max PPE at first level while reducing the spread potential and the possibility of suck, but increasing the ridiculously low improvement per level. I also use the variant shifter from Rifter 15 that make them more explorers than summoners (if they chose). Since they are more about rituals than invocations, they may only, per action, channel 3 PPE per level times the level of the Ley Line. No change to magic learned since this OCC is so focused.

For Ley Line Walkers I grant 2d6x10 plus 80 PPE at first level, plus 1d4x10 per level thereafter. Again, this leaves the same max at first levels while reducing the chance of being shafted with a bad roll. In previous games, I'd experimented with 3d6x10 plus 120 at first level to increase the max by 100, but decided instead to go with this after I was told about the ability of LLWs to overcharge their PPE. They may, per action, channel 5 PPE per level times the level of the Ley Line. LLWs learn 3 spells from each spell level 1-4, 1 spell from each spell level 5-8 and then 3 spells from ANY level, even 15th (but no spells of legend).

PPE overcharging works like the spell energy sphere. You may store an extra amount equal to half your base PPE per level. So 0.5Xs at 1st level, 1 Xs at 2nd, 1.5Xs at 3rd, etc. This is VERY short term however. You leak 2d6 per hour that you're awake, and in addition to that leakage, you lose 10% of what you initially stored per every hour you are asleep or unconscious. This leakage results in visual, auditory and olfactory effects which render stealth impossible unless on a Ley Line, and in fact increase the range of Dog-Boys and Psi-Stalkers (and all others with similar abilities) by the same multiple (based on what you stored, not your max). It also grants them a percentage bonus equal to 1/10th the amount of PPE you have stored.

I've got a bunch more written in old notebooks. Most OCCs had a couple. Plus notes on specific spells. I'll write up Ley-Lines if you want.

Edit to correct a few typos
History is where we look to for answers and guidance. History explains who we are, where we came from, and everything about our world. History is full of lies.
"Changing history to suit your purposes has a long and successful history."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mark Hall wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I divide rounds into 15, 1 second segments and then divide the number of attacks evenly based on a pre distributed chart. All characters have a Combat rating which is basically all their stats averaged plus any initiative bonuses. Only the person with the highest score rolls initiative rolls to determine if friends or foes go first. If a 1 is rolled the enemy gets to take all their actions first with the team having basically been surprised. If a 20 is rolled then the players get to take all of their actions first. Otherwise only the first action of the turn is determined by the init. roll.

You really need to take a look at Hackmaster or Aces & 8s; they did away with rounds entirely, instead basing everything on seconds of action. Shooting takes time, aiming takes time, melee attacks have delays between them.

Sounds interesting but waaaay too crunchy. I was just trying to, believe it or not streamline the PB system by removing options while also making it so combat wasn't *** for tat until your out of actions and then the person with the most just gets to have a field day.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Rifts®”