What would you change?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: What would you change?

Unread post by Orin J. »

i'm really more baffled he wants to rewrite new west and austrailia, but canada and atlantas aren't on the chopping block.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Orin J. wrote:i'm really more baffled he wants to rewrite new west and austrailia, but canada and atlantas aren't on the chopping block.

The difference is that neither Canada nor Atlantis are real places.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Ah i see well i got a cobra chicken with your name on it lol.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

Hell knight wrote:Ah i see well i got a cobra chicken with your name on it lol.

I feel targeted by this comment. ;)
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are some text changes in the RBM SB. The Rocket Mortar that was mistakenly called a Rocket Propelled mortar.

Then there was some stupid text talking about ammunition that didn't follow reality. Even if the text sort of mirrors common usage, it directions point the reader in a false meaning.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Orin J. wrote:i'm really more baffled he wants to rewrite new west and austrailia, but canada and atlantas aren't on the chopping block.

It's not that I wouldn't do anything to Canada or Atlantis. The Tundra Rangers would get some revision in Canada (more faction development/history), and the broader book would get more development in general; it seems like a fairly bland product overall with little to make it stand out. Atlantis would get some adjustments, particularly with the True Atlantean section (I'd like more emphasis on the price of the power that comes with being a True Atlantean; it reads like "human, but better in every measurable way).

Those would be edits. What I'd do with New West and Australia would be full-blown rewrites.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Wise_Owl
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wise_Owl »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Curbludgeon wrote:I'd get rid of all the racist stuff, and dial back on the stereotypes.

Ok, to open this can of worms, what are the racist stuff and stereotypes that you refer to? I'm finding out more and more lately that I don't notice when something falls into this category and I just kind of accept that it is what it is in the context of the game world without applying it to real world stuff.

I'm just kind of curious to see what there is that I'm not seeing?

Alot of the setting itself is based in a degree of dated middle-America view of the world, but to be very specific; Spirit West has a very specific set of problems going back to the early characterisation of Native Americans. Both in terms of overgeneralization, and in terms of... well just the general portrayel. Pantheons of the Megaverse treats one of the Worlds Largest Religions(Hinduism) as a spot to pilfur for idea's and yet doesn't do the same for the Abrahamic faiths. Gypsies... that's basically a Racial slur, and their use in fiction is deeply derived from 18th and 19th century steroetypes, even the 'postiive' ones. The Africa book is bad in so far as it takes the second largest continent on the planet and basically condenses it to "Their are like tribes and stuff and then these monsters here and here and oh, lets fill a good portion of the book with unrelated stuff about the Four Horsemen of the Apocylpse". To have Africa be the only continent without a resurgent Tech power is beyond bad optics. Hope that helps as simple examples? Alot of these are not necisarily done out of malice, some are products of the original period in which they were produced(Spirit West especially) but others are just uncessary both then and now....

As to the OP's question; I have really broad answers that come down in to how I dealt with Rifts back when I was deeply invested. As a setting Rifts suffers from a number of oddities; for one a very unclear sense of what the state of geopolitics prior to the Cataclysm was, that tends towards making all Rifts politics seem to extend from Politics circa 1988. There are abberancies in this, but yeah, this seriously impacts the setting by making things not always make sense and not giving a clear sense of what came before.

I would give some attention to aspects of sociology and such for major players; The CS is ripe for this sort of stuff. What's the conomy of a Command Economy military state with no major trading partners and an anti-intellectual ideology central to it's existance going to look like? There is alot to develope there, but it doesn't classicaly get done because the Coalition states doesn't exist as an actual state, or even a fictional one, but as a Cartoon Villian.

I would excise almost all of the Western Stuff. While aspects of it were interesting, a whole section of the planet that engages in the steroeyptical behavoir of western movies stretched even my increduality.

Rifts has always been the 'Heavy Metal van' of RPG's, I'd probably lean into that. And I'll admit there are contrasting impulses in my desire for 'Belieable' world-building and following that Gonzo ethos.

As already mentioned Fix up Africa. Develope India, the Middle East the South East Asia. Develope the Orbital Community and the SOlar System a bit more.

Oh... define the 'Tech Level' Paragidm. There was one at the start, but it broke down really quickly, especially in terms of game statistics.
The Way that can be told,
is not the true unchanging way

The way that can be named,
is not the true unnamable way
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

it might not be causal and only happenstance....but

not written by KS: new west and austraili
written by KS: canada and atlantas

I think the four of the 1st 5 that haven't been updated still need an update, even if only to bring them to RUE.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Wise_Owl wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:
Curbludgeon wrote:I'd get rid of all the racist stuff, and dial back on the stereotypes.

Ok, to open this can of worms, what are the racist stuff and stereotypes that you refer to? I'm finding out more and more lately that I don't notice when something falls into this category and I just kind of accept that it is what it is in the context of the game world without applying it to real world stuff.

I'm just kind of curious to see what there is that I'm not seeing?

Alot of the setting itself is based in a degree of dated middle-America view of the world, but to be very specific; Spirit West has a very specific set of problems going back to the early characterisation of Native Americans. Both in terms of overgeneralization, and in terms of... well just the general portrayel. Pantheons of the Megaverse treats one of the Worlds Largest Religions(Hinduism) as a spot to pilfur for idea's and yet doesn't do the same for the Abrahamic faiths. Gypsies... that's basically a Racial slur, and their use in fiction is deeply derived from 18th and 19th century steroetypes, even the 'postiive' ones. The Africa book is bad in so far as it takes the second largest continent on the planet and basically condenses it to "Their are like tribes and stuff and then these monsters here and here and oh, lets fill a good portion of the book with unrelated stuff about the Four Horsemen of the Apocylpse". To have Africa be the only continent without a resurgent Tech power is beyond bad optics. Hope that helps as simple examples? Alot of these are not necisarily done out of malice, some are products of the original period in which they were produced(Spirit West especially) but others are just uncessary both then and now....

This very much helps! Thanks Wise Owl
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

The Ontario section particularly in Rifts Canada suffers from "I couldn't be bothered to look at a damn map" making the placement and makeup of at least two communities nigh ridiculous, not to mention so unlikely to exist as they are that close to Lazlo as to be stupid, right of the hop.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Library Ogre

I would heavily de-emphasize the number of fascist regimes, and spend more time on the people who opposed them.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Mark Hall wrote:I would heavily de-emphasize the number of fascist regimes, and spend more time on the people who opposed them.

And why is that every "good" place seems to have some evil behind it or trying to manipulate it....to the point people want that garbage for Lazlo as well....

Come on not every damn good sized place is going to have secret evil, or secret controllers, or or or or ugh
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

jaymz wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I would heavily de-emphasize the number of fascist regimes, and spend more time on the people who opposed them.

And why is that every "good" place seems to have some evil behind it or trying to manipulate it....to the point people want that garbage for Lazlo as well....

Come on not every damn good sized place is going to have secret evil, or secret controllers, or or or or ugh

and those that do don't mean said "secret evils" are in any way competent or effective. frequently the reverse is true, and the "good" groups are far more effective than the "evil" ones....
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

The point being not every major location has to have the damn things. Its over used, predictable trope that I and imo everyone else can do without for once.

\m/
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

jaymz wrote:The point being not every major location has to have the damn things. Its over used, predictable trope that I and imo everyone else can do without for once.

So how about a blatant neutral an obvious evil and hidden good giys?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
jaymz wrote:The point being not every major location has to have the damn things. Its over used, predictable trope that I and imo everyone else can do without for once.

This is something I'd like to see more of in Rifts.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Hotrod wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

This is something I'd like to see more of in Rifts.

That's what I was trying to do with AK. :(
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Library Ogre

Perhaps a trifle obvious, but I would severely rework the solar system. The whys and hows that Earth is kept in quarrantine are close to nonsense, and the orbital colonies don't make much in the way of sense.

All Palladium Articles
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic Locked for thread necromancy.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”