Can a Sunaj be a Nega-Psychic or Psi-Nullifier?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

narcissus
Explorer

Can a Sunaj be a Nega-Psychic or Psi-Nullifier?

Unread post by narcissus »

In DB15 it states that a Sunaj Master Psychic "is typically a powerful psionic such as a Mind Mage, Burster, Zapper and others". Given Nega-Psychics are closed to the supernatural, and Sunaj have magic tattoos, I'd say these things aren't compatible. However, I do think there's a case for a Sunaj Psi-Nullifier. Psi-Nullifier is limited to human and psi-stalker, and Atlanteans are human, just better human.

Thoughts?
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Re: Can a Sunaj be a Nega-Psychic or Psi-Nullifier?

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Short answer, NO.
Long answer, the Marks of Heritage are too deeply ingrained into Atlantean culture to be disparaged, and given the age at which they're tattooed, wouldn't grant the time needed to develop that sort of psychic ability.
I can, however, see Sunaj employing such operatives... and then disposing of them when a job is completed; the odds are that such an agent would learn something during the mission, and taking chances wouldn't be acceptable.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Can a Sunaj be a Nega-Psychic or Psi-Nullifier?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

There are a couple of relevant passages. The quote narcissus references, from DB15 pg 83, concerns Master Psychics with the Sunaj Assassin O.C.C., while DB15 pg 49 has this: "Psionics: Standard, basically the same as humans, complete with Master Psychics who can select psionic O.C.C.s such as Mind Melter, Mind Bleeder, Psi-Ghost, Burster, Zapper, etc." Note that a couple of these psionic O.C.C.s are in other sources listed as either mutant humans (Psi-Ghost) or near-human D-Bees (Mind Bleeder). While whether or not that scope is broad enough to include other psionic mutant O.C.C.s such as Psi-Slayers is left vague, as is if non-psychic abilities such as a Psi-Ghost's Intangibility would be possessed, I don't see anything prohibiting a True Atlantean Nega-Psychic or Psi-Nullifer.

I'd argue, however, that the Psi-Nullifer's involuntary nature of their abilities might be a larger obstacle than is the Nega-Psychic's being Closed to the Supernatural with respect to the use of Tattoo Magic. That said, the PN doesn't automatically disrupt their own psionic powers, only those used as attacks against them.

I will say that even if setting constraints are handwaved in a particular game that this should probably only apply to the Psyscape version of these O.C.C.s, and that the CB1/CB1r conversions of BTS1 classes would be a bit wacky.

Return to “Rifts®”