Did we ever get definitive answers regarding these topics?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HWalsh
Hero

Did we ever get definitive answers regarding these topics?

Unread post by HWalsh »

1. Does fencing add 1d6 MD to psi-swords?

I think yes, but so far, to my knowledge, no official answer exists.

2. Does moving any distance and shooting incur a shooting wild penalty?

3. Do missiles get the bonuses for moving rapidly? If so how is one ever expected to shoot one down short of a natural 20?
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Re: Did we ever get definitive answers regarding these topic

Unread post by TiekoSora »

1. Don't know.

2. Depends on the type of movement. A dead sprint = shooting wild. A trained combatant, moving with a purpose, and especially using modern optics, I always adjudicated as at most, a -3 to hit penalty, with a 25% penalty on movement speed.

Based on personal experience, you CAN move quickly (not a full run) and acquire and engage targets. You won't be as accurate as shooting from a bench or even a prone unsupported firing position. But it can be done, and you can drop targets while doing it.

3. I always adjudicated this as, you cannot shoot down a missile unless using a dedicated anti-missile weapon, OR using a large machinegun with an extremely high rate of fire, above .30 caliber. Such as a minigun (they are chambered in 7.62mm NATO).

I no longer have the stats, but I invented anti-mini missile mini missile ammo. Could be used in place of a standard mini missile, and would in proximity to the target missile, burst open and send a cloud of titanium flechettes into the missile's flight path. A successful hit would bring it down. One anti-missile charge per incoming missile, roll to hit for each one. And pray to RNGesus you hit them all.

Additionally, you could defeat specific types of missiles in other ways, used today by military aircraft. Chaff canisters to redirect radar-guided missiles, flares to redirect infrared tracking missiles. By using a more powerful optical laser, it would be possible to trick a laser-guided missile into locking on to it, and redirect the laser to a new target. This is fictional to my knowledge, it just seemed plausible for a futuristic fantasy game setting.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

TiekoSora wrote:1. Don't know.

2. Depends on the type of movement. A dead sprint = shooting wild. A trained combatant, moving with a purpose, and especially using modern optics, I always adjudicated as at most, a -3 to hit penalty, with a 25% penalty on movement speed.

Based on personal experience, you CAN move quickly (not a full run) and acquire and engage targets. You won't be as accurate as shooting from a bench or even a prone unsupported firing position. But it can be done, and you can drop targets while doing it.

3. I always adjudicated this as, you cannot shoot down a missile unless using a dedicated anti-missile weapon, OR using a large machinegun with an extremely high rate of fire, above .30 caliber. Such as a minigun (they are chambered in 7.62mm NATO).

I no longer have the stats, but I invented anti-mini missile mini missile ammo. Could be used in place of a standard mini missile, and would in proximity to the target missile, burst open and send a cloud of titanium flechettes into the missile's flight path. A successful hit would bring it down. One anti-missile charge per incoming missile, roll to hit for each one. And pray to RNGesus you hit them all.

Additionally, you could defeat specific types of missiles in other ways, used today by military aircraft. Chaff canisters to redirect radar-guided missiles, flares to redirect infrared tracking missiles. By using a more powerful optical laser, it would be possible to trick a laser-guided missile into locking on to it, and redirect the laser to a new target. This is fictional to my knowledge, it just seemed plausible for a futuristic fantasy game setting.

I think they intended you to be able to shoot them down with rifles as a matter of balance. Owing to the fact that shooting the missiles down is your only defense against a shot of 4 missiles.

Missiles, in Rifts, aren't supposed to be an, "I win" button.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

1. No official answer AFAIK, but I do think it is yes if nothing else for simplicity since there are a few pure energy blades that would also fall under this heading.

2. No idea, but I would probably also consider the length of the action.

3. I don't think we use the moving rapidly penalties. If you consider missile flight time (Speed for given distance) it is possible that a character would not have time to react.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

HWalsh wrote:

I think they intended you to be able to shoot them down with rifles as a matter of balance. Owing to the fact that shooting the missiles down is your only defense against a shot of 4 missiles.

you can do this with minimissile using those rules. you could try it with SRM's but the penalty would make it harder. MRM's and LRM's are so fast that it would be impossible.

realistically you wouldn't be able to shoot down any missile in flight with hand weapons, so i don't see an issue with applying the penalties. it follows the concept of verisimilitude. and since you can still attempt to shoot down the most commonly encountered type (mini's) the players should still feel like heroes. but at the same time, it won't be a simple or easy task, which again makes them feel more like heroes and less like mary sue's. with no challenge to the effort, doing something like using a pistol to shoot down fast moving missiles feels less impressive.

i just make weapons that have "anti-missile" or "anti-aircraft" as a primary or secondary purpose to ignore the penalty when shooting at missiles and aircraft.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
HWalsh wrote:

you can do this with minimissile using those rules. you could try it with SRM's but the penalty would make it harder. MRM's and LRM's are so fast that it would be impossible.

realistically you wouldn't be able to shoot down any missile in flight with hand weapons, so i don't see an issue with applying the penalties. it follows the concept of verisimilitude. and since you can still attempt to shoot down the most commonly encountered type (mini's) the players should still feel like heroes. but at the same time, it won't be a simple or easy task, which again makes them feel more like heroes and less like mary sue's. with no challenge to the effort, doing something like using a pistol to shoot down fast moving missiles feels less impressive.

i just make weapons that have "anti-missile" or "anti-aircraft" as a primary or secondary purpose to ignore the penalty when shooting at missiles and aircraft.

If I did that, I'd also have to get rid of the "you can't dodge 4 missiles" rule because "realistically" you totally can. Just because there are 4 doesn't mean they should all unerringly hit either.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

1)Yes.
2) Maybe.
3) No.
Last edited by Fenris2020 on Fri May 08, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

HWalsh wrote:Did we ever get definitive answers regarding these topics?

No.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

HWalsh wrote:1. Does fencing add 1d6 MD to psi-swords?

I think yes, but so far, to my knowledge, no official answer exists.

Why is this a question? Is it a sword? Yes. Then Fencing Applies. (Mechanically, "is it a sword" can be answered with: does it benefit from WP Sword?", if yes, then yes)

2. Does moving any distance and shooting incur a shooting wild penalty?

This one.. i have no idea. The Shooting Wild rules make gunplay in Palladium stupidly long-lasting because you should probably be shooting wild like 99% of the time. Ive never used them as written and only make people Shoot Wild when circumstances would dictate it; to me, moving forward with good fire discipline (gun firmly seated in your shoulder, or braced if a pistol, etc) would never cause you to shoot wild. Ever. Sprinting maybe.

3. Do missiles get the bonuses for moving rapidly?

[/quote]

Yes. There is no exception called out (anywhere) for anything, that im aware of, to the penalties for hitting fast moving targets.

If so how is one ever expected to shoot one down short of a natural 20?

You aren't.

You definitely aren't supposed to be shooting down missiles when you're a guy on foot with a handgun.

They ARE an iWin button against certain types of enemies.

And this is definitely intended, which is why missiles larger than SRMs are Extremely Rare and almost no vehicles have them and even when they do, they have just a handful.

The number of vehicles a party of guys on foot would expect to encounter if the GM isnt a complete clown that have LRMs is near zero (and those are the ones that are super-dangerous). You shouldn't be facing vehicles with LRMs unless your party is also equipped with Giant Robots and other vehicles who can take the punishment.

Generally speaking, unless you're the victim of a direct hit from an MRM, you might survive it, even as a medium-armored infantry PC if your party is sharing party buffs. (considering you can cut the damage down 1/4) Barring bad max rolls. ANd if they want to ensure a direct hit they have to launch 4, and most of the vehicles that have them only have 4-8 at most. Unlikely theyre going to salvo half their missiles to squash one guy on foot if the GM is playing the NPCs as reasonable people and not just "must always take the most game-mechanically advantageous action" robots.

SRMs and Mini Missiles are easily survivable, even a salvo of 4 (4D6X10, max roll on Plasma, might be 240; cut that in half for Rolling with Punch/Fall/Impact; down to 120, which is survivable for a decently equipped party. And lets also remember that that is also by FAR the easiest type of missile to just totally ignore (Impervious to FIre and Impervious to Energy).

The best counter to missiles is your own missiles (RAW). This is intentional, IMO. Missiles in Rifts are dangerous, which is why almost nothing carries anything heavier than Mini Missiles. I can think of the number of things that even carry MRMs or LRMs (that aren't in Phase World, ships get weird) and its probably less than 20 in the entire canon of Rifts (of each type).

Keep in mind, i know almost no one who actually uses the penalties for hitting fast moving targets rules, because they make combat between some types of enemies nonsensical.

Two flying PAs? Theyll literally never hit one another except on crits.

Flying PAs against ground troops? Ground troops will never hit the PA.

Jets? Forget about it.

Etc.

I threw those out the moment they were pointed out to me. They make the game almost entirely unplayable, or, at the very least, make almost all of the guns pointless; might as well just call it high-tech Palladium Fantasy ala Simon Green's Deathstalker series and make the game melee.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

1 There is example of fencing adding 1d6 MD to md swords. So I would think yes but there is a debate because that comes another setting and may be a setting tweek.

2 As written moving and shooting is shooting wild when you run dodge jump or from a moving vehicle. So if you are walking you would not get the penalty.

3 Worded wrong- I think you are confused it is not a bonus for moving but a penalty for shooting at moving target with with weapons under modern weapon proficiency. Missiles use different strike rules so it would to me seem to me that the penalty would not apply to missiles shooting down missiles. As written you just roll a D20 and any roll above 4 (5-20) hits unless the target dodge or shoot down the missile before it hits. Missiles strike rules are 1 of the three strike rules and are not the only strike rules that do not mention bonsues in the strike rule and only the rules ranged combat - modern weapon proficiency address penalties. This would mean as written the best defense against fast moving targets is to shoot missiles. Other wise fast moving targets would be near impossible for any one to shoot down.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

glitterboy2098 wrote:realistically you wouldn't be able to shoot down any missile in flight with hand weapons, so i don't see an issue with applying the penalties. it follows the concept of verisimilitude. and since you can still attempt to shoot down the most commonly encountered type (mini's) the players should still feel like heroes

This sort of ties into past disagreements we've had about whether to calculate the speed penalty based on "speed relative to earth" vs "speed relative to target"

IE some of us think it might be easier to shoot (since you have more time to react to) a missile you're already moving away from than a missile you're already moving toward. Others take the stance it should be equal, because magic planets and seeing absolute RAW where there is none.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:The best counter to missiles is your own missiles (RAW)

Don't they also incur the penalties?

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:i know almost no one who actually uses the penalties for hitting fast moving targets rules, because they make combat between some types of enemies nonsensical.

Two flying PAs? Theyll literally never hit one another except on crits.

Unless you have them dogtailing and cancelling out the effective speed, if I'm trailing a 500mph PA at 400mph then it's only moving away from me at 100mph.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Blue_Lion wrote:3 Worded wrong- I think you are confused it is not a bonus for moving but a penalty for shooting at moving target with with weapons under modern weapon proficiency. Missiles use different strike rules so it would to me seem to me that the penalty would not apply to missiles shooting down missiles.

they do not use different rules. as worded every weapon follows those "roll a D20, a roll of 4 (or 8 for guns) or higher hits", no mention of bonuses or penalties at all. then we get skill entries stating bonuses to the roll, and sections detailing penalties to the roll. all of which clash with the stated rules for rolling attacks, since the stated rules specify unmodified dice rolls. and the entries adding bonuses and penalties do not state they don't apply to missiles.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”