Rifts and Heroes Unlimited?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

StormGryffen
D-Bee

Rifts and Heroes Unlimited?

Unread post by StormGryffen »

Seems like I've been asking a lot of questions lately!

I'm interested in running some Heroes Unlimited sorts of heroes in Rifts, and have noticed that there are several resources like Skraypers and the new Book of Heroes in the Heroes of The Megaverse book. What I'm curious about is whether or not these resources are enhanced by Heroes Unlimited setting books, or is heroes Unlimited setting stuff not needed for an MDC world campaign? Would heroes unlimited books add a lot? What MDC world resources would be helpful for adding these kind of heroes to my game? Conversion books? Minion War crossover books? Thanks in advance!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Rifts and Heroes Unlimited?

Unread post by Orin J. »

HU is an SDC setting so you have to convert everything from there (there's a conversion book explictly for this) but in my experience they're pretty fun to add to rifts (although my more CS-focused groups disagreed with me >:3c )
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

DB4 and HotM were written with the Rifts setting in mind so you don't need the HU2 books, but having them will help flesh out any PC ideas you might have. Furthermore having the source material can help clarify any questions about a power you might have due to Palladium's tendency to only focus on what changes when converting a power from the HU2 setting to the Rifts setting.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Off hand the only Rifts book (outside the races book [for different types of aliens] and the monster books) that I would recomend to supplement a HU game is the Bionics sourcebook.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

StormGryffen wrote:Seems like I've been asking a lot of questions lately!

I'm interested in running some Heroes Unlimited sorts of heroes in Rifts, and have noticed that there are several resources like Skraypers and the new Book of Heroes in the Heroes of The Megaverse book. What I'm curious about is whether or not these resources are enhanced by Heroes Unlimited setting books, or is heroes Unlimited setting stuff not needed for an MDC world campaign? Would heroes unlimited books add a lot? What MDC world resources would be helpful for adding these kind of heroes to my game? Conversion books? Minion War crossover books? Thanks in advance!

The only thing you need for Heroes Unlimited powers in Rifts is the books with the powers themselves, and the Conversion Book (either CB1 or CB1r), which has some specific conversions of a lot of the basic powers in the HU core book, and guidelines for converting the others.

As for the setting material, i cant imagine that helping - they are entirely different materials, and unless you're planning on having said characters be FROM Heroes Unlimited Earth (which IS a parallel dimension and CAN happen) the setting of Heroes Earth is pretty meaningless, and even then it would only background for the character(s) in question.

According to the Conversion Book (revised or non-revised), Scholar and Adventurer OCCs can have Super Powers. Vagabond, IIRC, gets a bonus minor power.

Its a way, if you're running a powerful campaign (lots of Borgs, Dragons, Robot Pilots, etc, where almost everyone has lots of MDC and hard-hitting weapons) and want the "squishies" to be a little less squishy. Depending on how many powers they have, they can be more potent than giant robots in a lot of situations.

If you dont have the Conversion Book, Skraypers basically has Rifts-ified versions of many super powers you can use as Guidelines. FWIW, i recommend the non-Revised Conversion Book if you can find it; the revised version, while more "up to date" with some of the rules changes made later in the line's publishing history, it actually has a bunch of content cut because it was moved to CB3 or just deleted, and the conversion notes for the Super Powers in CB1-nr are actually a tad more balanced, IMO. Either way, though, youll be fine.

As far as super powered humans goes on Rifts Earth, in canon, they are very rare. The Cataclysm wasn't a nuclear holocaust, so there was not a lot of mutation caused by it. They DO exist, they're just rare (which is fine for PCs or Antagonist NPCs). Its not like Heroes Earth at all. Even on Heroes Earth superhumans are a tiny portion of the population, and on Rifts Earth its even less.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
StormGryffen
D-Bee

Unread post by StormGryffen »

Thanks. The info about Skraypers and the conversion books is very helpful. I really just want to run a campaign where maybe the PC characters can visit Skraypers once or twice, or maybe have access to all the options Heroes of The Megaverse and The Minion Wars represent, if not for their current heroes then maybe for backup characters. I love the RIFTS base game, but in my mind it's always been this wide open megaverse to adventure in, and I'm just trying to understand how best to involve super powered storylines in my RIFTS campaign. As a big fan of both games, I just want to be able to explore intersecting them now and again, I think it'd be fun.
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

StormGryffen wrote:Thanks. The info about Skraypers and the conversion books is very helpful. I really just want to run a campaign where maybe the PC characters can visit Skraypers once or twice, or maybe have access to all the options Heroes of The Megaverse and The Minion Wars represent, if not for their current heroes then maybe for backup characters. I love the RIFTS base game, but in my mind it's always been this wide open megaverse to adventure in, and I'm just trying to understand how best to involve super powered storylines in my RIFTS campaign. As a big fan of both games, I just want to be able to explore intersecting them now and again, I think it'd be fun.

Just putting this out there , if you want some occ/rcc with powers and different type skills . There is the gun brother and invincible guards man occ in rdb3 phase world source book .
And the freaker military soldier in rifts australia .

In my current rifts game one of my players is a heroes unlimted demi god , and another is a gun brother .
willie34
Newb

Unread post by willie34 »

Orin J. wrote:HU is an SDC setting so you have to convert everything from there (there's a conversion book explictly for this) but in my experience they're pretty fun to add to rifts (although my more CS-focused groups disagreed with me >:3c )

Can you suggest that conversion book?

Return to “Rifts®”