So...Chi-Town....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prysus
Champion

Re: So...Chi-Town....

Unread post by Prysus »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Also, page 141 (RMB) shows the interior of the Arcology, at the top (you can see the sky, not that it matters if this is artificial or not) - the outer wall is curved.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Also, the art on page 141 of RMB (not sure if the same art is put into RUE somewhere, haven't looked) is an interior shot and CLEARLY shows that the outer wall is CURVED, not flat.

Greetings and Salutations. Hmm ... I took that as more of part of the ceiling of the building itself (with a lowered rim/protrusion along the edge, sort of like we see on the building in the image at the lower right of the page), but as I look at it closer, I think you're right, as some of the shadings do have a cloud-like look to them. Of course, I already admitted the interior art made it look rounded, and I also believed the image on page 140 of the main book was rounded, so my admitting that doesn't change much.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:All the art shows that it is a cone.

Only if we agree that "square edges" (your term) and rectangle shapes are cones ... which I don't think you're going to convince me, nor do I think it will convince some (I'd hope most) others.

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:For it to POSSIBLY be a pyramid, we'd have to assume that every time it has been depicted (every single time), we've been looking DIRECTLY at the one of the flat sides. Which seems rather unlikely. In at least ONE of these shots, if it was a square or triangular pyramid, we'd have seen an angle where we were looking at where two of the flat sides met. And yet that's never been shown.

Well, some of the time it's been a cone, such as in RMB. CWC and Aftermath show "square edges" and straight lines on the sides. If we take that RMB depicted a cone shape, but was sometimes misinterpreted by fans as a pyramid (as we can see others have definitely interpreted it as such), then it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that more people than just those in this thread have had that impression. If we say, for instance, the artist of CWC took it as a pyramid, then he'd draw it as such. This image can then influence others. The image from CWC I mentioned earlier is the one that sticks in my wife's head the most, for instance. So the artist of Aftermath can just as easily be influenced by the very large image in CWC.

I don't find the concept of artists being influenced by other artist's work as "unlikely," especially when (at this point) we're talking about 2 pieces of artwork vs. 1 piece prior. That's not as large of a pool as you're trying to indicate. More so, using a similar angle to what someone might consider an iconic piece I don't find that unreasonable either. Changing the angles doesn't really serve much purpose unless you're specifically trying to prove it's a pyramid and you believe "square edges," straight lines for sides, and a rectangular shaped top of the structure don't convey that image because some people might mistake those characteristics of a cone (which I wouldn't have thought possible before this thread). *Shrugs.* In my experience, people often do things similar to what has stuck in their mind (which can be influenced by previous art) unless they're trying to make a point. In this case, I don't think anyone needed to make a point, because they probably didn't even consider that this was a question.

Do I think Chi-Town is coned? Yes. Do I think every piece of art shows it as such? :lol: Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

*Blasts Chi-Town from space with a Doombringer Dreadnaught, and launches full spread of missiles to be sure.*
"It's a crater."
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Fenris2020 wrote:*Blasts Chi-Town from space with a Doombringer Dreadnaught, and launches full spread of missiles to be sure.*
"It's a crater."

Be careful, now the debate will shift to how large the crater is, how deep it is, and how far away the debris was scattered.

Nice try though.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:*Blasts Chi-Town from space with a Doombringer Dreadnaught, and launches full spread of missiles to be sure.*
"It's a crater."

Be careful, now the debate will shift to how large the crater is, how deep it is, and how far away the debris was scattered.

Nice try though.

It's what happened in the last campaign I was a part of, that lasted around 5 years. There were 6 of us, 4 from Rifts Earth. We ended up in Phase World and, long story short, ended up with a Doombringer. The crater never stopped smoking...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
"It's a crater."

Nice try though.

It's what happened in the last campaign I was a part of, that lasted around 5 years. There were 6 of us, 4 from Rifts Earth. We ended up in Phase World and, long story short, ended up with a Doombringer. The crater never stopped smoking...

All of my original Rifts players from High School ended up moving between Three Galaxies and Rifts Earth but they all stopped at Light Cruisers to Battle Cruisers. Never Nuked Chi-Town but my Rifts Orbital community is different and the orbital area around earth is way more dangerous. Like parts of your ship can phase out of existence and be replaced by piles of fillet-o-fish (yes actually happened).
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

I've pretty much been checked out of this thread because i said what i had to say, so im not even sure if the consensus has moved on to "yeah, its round", but in the process of going through books to look for "Weird Finds", ive compiled a few shots to drive the point home.

https://imgur.com/H69hcjp

Its round.

Edit: there are more than this, honestly, but this was just the stuff i could find online to link to/cut up (mostly from Palladium themselves). I didnt want to start taking photos of books with my phone.

Chi-town has been pictured a lot more than people remember. A lot more than i remembered, for certain, and way more than i thought.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:I've pretty much been checked out of this thread because i said what i had to say, so im not even sure if the consensus has moved on to "yeah, its round", but in the process of going through books to look for "Weird Finds", ive compiled a few shots to drive the point home.

https://imgur.com/H69hcjp

Its round.

Edit: there are more than this, honestly, but this was just the stuff i could find online to link to/cut up (mostly from Palladium themselves). I didnt want to start taking photos of books with my phone.

Chi-town has been pictured a lot more than people remember. A lot more than i remembered, for certain, and way more than i thought.

It isn't round, it's circular.

Return to “Rifts®”