Rifts earth and phase world

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Rifts earth and phase world

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

Does anyone know if Rifts earth is in the same dimension as the 3 galaxies (phase world), or is it a separate dimension. If so do the 3 galaxies have their own version of earth and has any info ever been published about it?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Rifts earth and phase world

Unread post by taalismn »

No mention is made of the 3G being in the same universe as Rifts Earth.
With regards to Humans, it's stated in Phase World, that nobody knows where the humans there originated, though some contend that they came from a -mythical planet- called Earth, somewhere in the Three Galaxies. However, there are at least SEVEN planets called Earth, none of which resemble Earth-As -We-Know-It or 'True Earth', and the oldest known of these Earths is Terra Prime/New Earth, which was settled some 10,000 years ago, underwent a period of barbarism, and climbed back up to become a starfaring people.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Taalisman covered the "Three Galaxies planets called Earth" pretty well, but the answer to "is Earth in the same Dimension" is a hard no.

Its called out in several places that when Traveling to the Three Galaxies from Rifts Earth, you have to open a true cross-dimensional Rift, not the in-the-same-dimension type that costs less.

Earth's universe is separate from any other Dimension Book (thus, why they are Dimension Books) setting.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

taalismn wrote:No mention is made of the 3G being in the same universe as Rifts Earth.
With regards to Humans, it's stated in Phase World, that nobody knows where the humans there originated, though some contend that they came from a -mythical planet- called Earth, somewhere in the Three Galaxies. However, there are at least SEVEN planets called Earth, none of which resemble Earth-As -We-Know-It or 'True Earth', and the oldest known of these Earths is Terra Prime/New Earth, which was settled some 10,000 years ago, underwent a period of barbarism, and climbed back up to become a starfaring people.

Skraypers had some interesting Seeron lore insinuating Atlanteans settled the planet, if I recall.

There's some options for the Skraypers galaxies coexisting with Three Galaxies INSTEAD of the Heroes Unlimited galaxies, in which case you might attribute Atlantean settlements on Seeron as the birthplace of human settlements elsewhere?

It really takes some brainstorming on Tarlok/Kreeghor relations and how human slaves of both empires communicate though...
zexsis
D-Bee

Unread post by zexsis »

Our earth is in the milky way galaxy.. which is neither of those in the phase worlds 3 galaxies.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Rifts earth in the same reality? Nope. There is enough text in the books that say they are not. And most of the text in the books are written with the idea that they are not also.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Emerald MoonSilver wrote:Does anyone know if Rifts earth is in the same dimension as the 3 galaxies (phase world), or is it a separate dimension. If so do the 3 galaxies have their own version of earth and has any info ever been published about it?

No reason you could not make it that way if you wanted.
Or put it in the Milky Way, another galaxy near the three galaxies. Somehow humans ended up in the 3G's due to a wormhole or something else.
Meneliki
D-Bee

Unread post by Meneliki »

I would've said it is, purely on the basis that it isn't "Phase World RPG", it's "RIFTS Dimension Book 2: Phase World".

The very nature of Rifts is that the game world has Rifts that lead to other planets/dimensions/whatever. The dimension books are (as I understand) basically a contingency for a player saying, "I want to run in to that rift!"
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The more confusing discussion is when you use options for DB4 (Skraypers' Seeron/Tarlok in the 3 Galaxies) when there are also options for Skraypers to take place in the same dimension as Aliens/Heroes unlimited. Combining those options would put HU (SDC) and Phase World (MDC) in the same dimension.

Maybe one way around that is to only allow one option, or allow different versions of Seeron to exist in different dimensions.

there's a bit of a dilemma for Hades/Dyval too since they're MDC settings as Rifts Dimension Books, but were originally defined as SDC settings, unless the Dragons + Gods writeups always assumed you would only be encountering these beings outside their dimensions?

which makes recovery a complicated thing since HP/SDC loss and MDC recovery when they flee to home dimension... ugh
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Axelmania wrote:The more confusing discussion is when you use options for DB4 (Skraypers' Seeron/Tarlok in the 3 Galaxies) when there are also options for Skraypers to take place in the same dimension as Aliens/Heroes unlimited. Combining those options would put HU (SDC) and Phase World (MDC) in the same dimension.

Maybe one way around that is to only allow one option, or allow different versions of Seeron to exist in different dimensions.

there's a bit of a dilemma for Hades/Dyval too since they're MDC settings as Rifts Dimension Books, but were originally defined as SDC settings, unless the Dragons + Gods writeups always assumed you would only be encountering these beings outside their dimensions?

which makes recovery a complicated thing since HP/SDC loss and MDC recovery when they flee to home dimension... ugh

AU specifically has notes on how to use it in phase world and includes mdc notes. So there has been option to do so longer than scrapers. Heck there is even an option to do rifts as sdc. These however are not the default of the setting but gm choices.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”