Rifts Antarctica

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

Rifts Antarctica

Unread post by Thom001 »

I was reading the description a moment ago and just wanted to post here to get the communities thoughts on this new world book.

Personally I'm excited about it. I'm hoping it's a totally foreign and alien world setting. A land that wasn't really touched by us to begin with holds much more promise of adventure than those that have been settled. I also hope it expands on dynamics of dealing with the cold for extended periods.

What thoughts does anyone else have?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Rifts Antarctica

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

going by the RAW edition it is literally Rifts Alaska with the serial numbers filed off, includes a magic section stolen from Frozen, rewrites half the mechanics for magic on the rest, and includes various technologies that rely on inverse thermodynamics.

frankly they needed to toss it out and start over.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:going by the RAW edition it is literally Rifts Alaska with the serial numbers filed off, includes a magic section stolen from Frozen, rewrites half the mechanics for magic on the rest, and includes various technologies that rely on inverse thermodynamics.

frankly they needed to toss it out and start over.

My apologises if I've misunderstood or missed something, but I'm not familiar with rifts Alaska. Is that in a rifter?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Thom001 wrote:[

My apologises if I've misunderstood or missed something, but I'm not familiar with rifts Alaska. Is that in a rifter?

I suspect he means Rifts Canada. our closest book to Alaska with regards to cold climates, though Alaska gets a passing mention in Rifts New West(Spirit West).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

it appears that the author of the antarctica book had started writing the book for rifts alaska, then changed it to antarctica part way through. in the RAW edition there were still many places where they had forgotten to edit the material and it still referenced alaska.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Emerald MoonSilver
Explorer

Unread post by Emerald MoonSilver »

glitterboy2098 wrote:it appears that the author of the antarctica book had started writing the book for rifts alaska, then changed it to antarctica part way through. in the RAW edition there were still many places where they had forgotten to edit the material and it still referenced alaska.

Sounds like a serious klunker.. OH well hopefully titan robotics book will be decent.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

glitterboy2098 wrote:it appears that the author of the antarctica book had started writing the book for rifts alaska, then changed it to antarctica part way through. in the RAW edition there were still many places where they had forgotten to edit the material and it still referenced alaska.

I stand corrected.

Ew...that's bad. The poles are a world apart, and that should be reflected in the material....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Thom001 wrote:I was reading the description a moment ago and just wanted to post here to get the communities thoughts on this new world book.

Personally I'm excited about it. I'm hoping it's a totally foreign and alien world setting. A land that wasn't really touched by us to begin with holds much more promise of adventure than those that have been settled. I also hope it expands on dynamics of dealing with the cold for extended periods.

What thoughts does anyone else have?

I liked a lot of the stuff in the raw preview I think it should be a good addition.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Oh, great.
Why didn't they proof-read and change things so it wouldn't reference Alaska?
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Fenris2020 wrote:Oh, great.

Sounds like they tried to and just missed some of the references. Good thing its the RAW Preview and not the actual book, right?
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:

Sounds like they tried to and just missed some of the references. Good thing its the RAW Preview and not the actual book, right?

Then again, they could have... just left it as Alaska?
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Fenris2020 wrote:
Captain_Nibbz wrote:

Then again, they could have... just left it as Alaska?

I mean, that would have been too easy though :lol:
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

After reading Mack in another thread talk about inspiration from an author of mythological lands, it hit me. It won't be in the Antarctica book but what about the account from Admiral Byrd describing the hollow earth in Antarctica with the strange people/aliens there? Or maybe some kind of alien linked thing from the conspiracy side of operation high jump back in the 30s and 40s? Would anyone be interested in that?
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Thom001 wrote:After reading Mack in another thread talk about inspiration from an author of mythological lands, it hit me. It won't be in the Antarctica book but what about the account from Admiral Byrd describing the hollow earth in Antarctica with the strange people/aliens there? Or maybe some kind of alien linked thing from the conspiracy side of operation high jump back in the 30s and 40s? Would anyone be interested in that?

Rifts: Hollow Earth??? That is a great idea!

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

slade the sniper wrote:
Thom001 wrote:After reading Mack in another thread talk about inspiration from an author of mythological lands, it hit me. It won't be in the Antarctica book but what about the account from Admiral Byrd describing the hollow earth in Antarctica with the strange people/aliens there? Or maybe some kind of alien linked thing from the conspiracy side of operation high jump back in the 30s and 40s? Would anyone be interested in that?

Rifts: Hollow Earth??? That is a great idea!

-STS

This has been recommended a few times on the and I think it is a great idea. Especially if it is something that has limited entrances and little to no impact on the surface. Anything that doesn't continue to crowd North America and gives my players new monsters to party with and places to visit sounds great.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

a rifts: hollow earth though should be a "stealth" dimension book.. in that the planet is not actually hollow, but there is a large pocket dimension connected to various places on earth (or possibly several earths?), which in other times has led people to think they'd traveled inside the panet, not knowing they'd passed into a whole other universe.

that way you can still do all the pellucidar/hollow earth/etc type stuff, but without derailing geology and astrophysics entirely.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

glitterboy2098 wrote:a rifts: hollow earth though should be a "stealth" dimension book.. in that the planet is not actually hollow, but there is a large pocket dimension connected to various places on earth (or possibly several earths?), which in other times has led people to think they'd traveled inside the panet, not knowing they'd passed into a whole other universe.

that way you can still do all the pellucidar/hollow earth/etc type stuff, but without derailing geology and astrophysics entirely.

Agreed.

A system of pocket dimensions that are connected to each other but each has an entrance that is "anchored" to specific locations on earth. Similar to the nightlands I would say.

To fit with the legends maybe there are more entrances than there are exits.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:a rifts: hollow earth though should be a "stealth" dimension book.. in that the planet is not actually hollow, but there is a large pocket dimension connected to various places on earth (or possibly several earths?), which in other times has led people to think they'd traveled inside the panet, not knowing they'd passed into a whole other universe.

Agreed.

A system of pocket dimensions that are connected to each other but each has an entrance that is "anchored" to specific locations on earth. Similar to the nightlands I would say.

To fit with the legends maybe there are more entrances than there are exits.

If anyone wants to work on this I'd love to be a sounding board/early draft reader for any ideas that you have.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I did something like that waaaaaay back for my games where caves lead to dimensional portals/doorways to my version of the Underdark. The players were sooooo cocky when they met up with dark elves until they realized their magic would be MDC too.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Literally no one was asking for an Antarctica book yet we are getting one while several other books that should have been done 20 years ago are still in need..... :frust: :? :nh:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

jaymz wrote:Literally no one was asking for an Antarctica book yet we are getting one while several other books that should have been done 20 years ago are still in need..... :frust: :? :nh:

It has been a minute waiting on tome grotesque or arcanum. I understand New Lazlo doesnt exist anymore? (dont have the CD war books) but I would have liked to see that and Lazlo etc.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

jaymz wrote:Literally no one was asking for an Antarctica book yet we are getting one while several other books that should have been done 20 years ago are still in need..... :frust: :? :nh:

Mechanoids SPPPAAACCEEE!
pad300
Wanderer

Unread post by pad300 »

Hollow earth = pocket dimension....

Haven't they already kind of done that with Geofront in Rifts China?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Thom001 wrote:It has been a minute waiting on tome grotesque or arcanum. I understand New Lazlo doesnt exist anymore? (dont have the CD war books) but I would have liked to see that and Lazlo etc.

Riftmaker wrote:Mechanoids SPPPAAACCEEE!

Yes we all have a list of books we want or were promised for years or, in most cases, both but since someone wrote the book I will buy it.

I'm pretty sure New Lazlo still exists. I think you're confusing New Lazlo with Tolkeen but someone tell me if I missed the fall of New Lazlo.

pad300 wrote:Hollow earth = pocket dimension....

Haven't they already kind of done that with Geofront in Rifts China?

I need to reread this but at the very least this would be a radically different feel with the hollow earth lore. I'm not sure if I even like this concept but if you're going to do hollow earth in rifts, this is the way I think.
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Warshield73 wrote:
Yes we all have a list of books we want or were promised for years or, in most cases, both but since someone wrote the book I will buy it.

Oh I'm sure. On that topic what would be some good rifts books to use to compliment the incomplete bits 2nd ed.?

Warshield73 wrote: I'm pretty sure New Lazlo still exists. I think you're confusing New Lazlo with Tolkeen but someone tell me if I missed the fall of New Lazlo.

That's entirely possible. I dont have the CS war books and we tend to place our games in 101-103 pa so it never really comes up.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Without knowing how the magic system will work in bts 2e (no it's not going to be the same if psionics is any indication) using anything will problematic in some way
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

jaymz wrote:Without knowing how the magic system will work in bts 2e (no it's not going to be the same if psionics is any indication) using anything will problematic in some way

I agree with your position here. BTS 2nd was clearly created with the idea that two SBs would be releases almost immediately and without those books the entire system is incomplete. I have seen several people mod the existing system to match what was done with ISP and it seems to work but we need the books. While I probably personally want Hardware Unlimited more than these two books if you ask what PB books are most needed for their respective game lines these two jump right to the top of the list.

Return to “Rifts®”