Rifts World Book 38 GAW or source book?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rifts World Book 38 G.A.W or source book

yes
54%
no
No votes
other source book
46%

Total votes: 13

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Rifts World Book 38 GAW or source book?

Unread post by ZINO »

I KNOW I KNOW but should be a G.A.W get a dedicated like northern gun book world book or source book ?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Rifts World Book 38 GAW or source book?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

If someone has good world information on GAW like description of the cities, NPC's, and the like then yes a World Book makes sense. If all we get is new equipment and vehicles then putting it in a sourcebook is the best route.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Warshield73 wrote:If someone has good world information on GAW like description of the cities, NPC's, and the like then yes a World Book makes sense. If all we get is new equipment and vehicles then putting it in a sourcebook is the best route.

Indeed I agree
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

personally i hope that if we get a GAW book (or if GAW gets a section in a Alabama/Mississippi/Lousiana worldbook*), that we'll not only get some detail on the actual city its based in (since even if it didn't start at one, one would have built up around its facilities over time.), but also l;earn the secret to the sucess of GAW is that.. they don't actually rely entirely on refurbishing salvaged items,and in fact actually mass produce many of the smaller vehicles and gear they sell. they just pull apart and reverse engineer salvaged hardware to learn how to build them. this would help handwave away some of the absurdities of them finding so much hardware from the mid to late 20th century.. they aren't actually finding lots of M-48 tanks or M113 APCs or F-14's, they just found a few museum pieces which they learned to copy.

*there was at least one being worked on in the last decade iirc. Rifts: Darkwoods. no idea if it ever got submitted
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i hope that if we get a GAW book (or if GAW gets a section in a Alabama/Mississippi/Lousiana worldbook*), that we'll not only get some detail on the actual city its based in (since even if it didn't start at one, one would have built up around its facilities over time.), but also l;earn the secret to the sucess of GAW is that.. they don't actually rely entirely on refurbishing salvaged items,and in fact actually mass produce many of the smaller vehicles and gear they sell. they just pull apart and reverse engineer salvaged hardware to learn how to build them. this would help handwave away some of the absurdities of them finding so much hardware from the mid to late 20th century.. they aren't actually finding lots of M-48 tanks or M113 APCs or F-14's, they just found a few museum pieces which they learned to copy.

*there was at least one being worked on in the last decade iirc. Rifts: Darkwoods. no idea if it ever got submitted

This is what I say in my games. The idea that stuff this old survived in enough quantities to be sold all over North America is kind of silly. But, the idea that cities with a lower tech base might resort to old designs to survive makes a lot of sense.

IMO
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Warshield73 wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:personally i hope that if we get a GAW book (or if GAW gets a section in a Alabama/Mississippi/Lousiana worldbook*), that we'll not only get some detail on the actual city its based in (since even if it didn't start at one, one would have built up around its facilities over time.), but also l;earn the secret to the sucess of GAW is that.. they don't actually rely entirely on refurbishing salvaged items,and in fact actually mass produce many of the smaller vehicles and gear they sell. they just pull apart and reverse engineer salvaged hardware to learn how to build them. this would help handwave away some of the absurdities of them finding so much hardware from the mid to late 20th century.. they aren't actually finding lots of M-48 tanks or M113 APCs or F-14's, they just found a few museum pieces which they learned to copy.

This is what I say in my games. The idea that stuff this old survived in enough quantities to be sold all over North America is kind of silly. But, the idea that cities with a lower tech base might resort to old designs to survive makes a lot of sense.

IMO

would also help explain why they started with M-48's and M2 Bradleys .. those are fairly basic vehicles all told. nothing particularly fancy in the hull, transmission, or engines. and why now they're able to do stuff like M1 abrams, F-16, C-130,, and so on.. they were able to expand their operation's infrastructure over time allowing them to produce more complex stuff.

(personally i also actually leave them out of the CS's refitting of their navy, since that seemed like a really odd pairing. and it helps explain why the job was done so badly. but i guess officially GAW did at least advise the CS shipyards in how to do it? couldn't have been at GAW itself, since their facilities are landlocked.)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

i would prefer they get a big part of a more broad sourcebook as they're not really a major political force in the wrold so much as a business full of kooks that just fix stuff. preferably something that brings a focus to properly using SDC adventure ideas in Rifts. and a nice appendix of general goods commonly available.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

IMO

would also help explain why they started with M-48's and M2 Bradleys .. those are fairly basic vehicles all told. nothing particularly fancy in the hull, transmission, or engines. and why now they're able to do stuff like M1 abrams, F-16, C-130,, and so on.. they were able to expand their operation's infrastructure over time allowing them to produce more complex stuff.

(personally i also actually leave them out of the CS's refitting of their navy, since that seemed like a really odd pairing. and it helps explain why the job was done so badly. but i guess officially GAW did at least advise the CS shipyards in how to do it? couldn't have been at GAW itself, since their facilities are landlocked.)

indeed the M-48's and M2 Bradley need to expanded or revised rift merc book was to limited aslo CS's refitting of their navy can be added as well expanded and explain as well with GAW IMHO
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Orin J. wrote:i would prefer they get a big part of a more broad sourcebook as they're not really a major political force in the wrold so much as a business full of kooks that just fix stuff. preferably something that brings a focus to properly using SDC adventure ideas in Rifts. and a nice appendix of general goods commonly available.

:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :heart: :heart:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Orin J. wrote:i would prefer they get a big part of a more broad sourcebook as they're not really a major political force in the wrold so much as a business full of kooks that just fix stuff. preferably something that brings a focus to properly using SDC adventure ideas in Rifts. and a nice appendix of general goods commonly available.

That you know of. In reality they are the remnant of the Green Party they were cryogenically stored in solar powered cryotubes made of recycled refrigerators and filled with oil of olay (tm)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

To be honest as much as I like GAW as an organization it’s too much of a small player to warrant a world book imo. Same thing with Wilks
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sureshot wrote:To be honest as much as I like GAW as an organization it’s too much of a small player to warrant a world book imo. Same thing with Wilks

Agreed, it would be nice to have some world information (description of HQs, NPC stats for leadership and sales, and even connections to other regional powers) on these companies but you can do that as part of a larger regional World Book or a smaller sourcebook.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

could see a sourcebook, similar to the naruni wave 2 book. 96-100 pages

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Naruni 2 was good stuff at the start of the book, but rather than more gear stat blocks, perhaps what is needed is a Rifts Trade sourcebook.

I've found the Black Market sourcebook a great resource for world info, NPCs, OCCs, running a (criminal) business, gear/vehicles and more. It was a well rounded package for establishing setting. Perhaps a similar sourcebook is needed for Rifts Trade in NA, highlighting smaller players, such as Wilks, Chipwell, Wellington Ind and GAW. Maybe even a CS corporate entity or two (resembling the distinction between Triax and NGR)... or maybe there is only one state-run brand in the CS and everything comes in grey packaging. The focus could shift away from weapons, which there is already lots of references to choose from, and look at other businesses, such as media, medical/pharma, mining, etc. Businesses that might engage PCs in ways other than just as gun-totting muscle looking for another loot piñata.

Particularly, it could highlight the different ways business might be done in a Rifts setting, adding flavor to the different enterprises. It might be helpful to establish canon around how deals are made/enforced in urban/semi-urban areas (town magistrates?) vs wilderness trading networks (trial by ordeal?). Perhaps ancient practices, like hostage taking, have re-emerged to enforce contracts until delivery is made. Maybe also clarify what business looks like in cities with seemingly limitless sources of energy (whether technical or mystical), what that means for the use of automation instead of manual labor. High unemployment could lead to a lot of mischief.

In BM, the description of how various roles and ranks interacted makes relationships with NPCs or other PCs less two dimensional. Perhaps describing how different bankers / industrialists / traders conduct legitimate trade in a Rifts context would help spice up scenarios set around material that is already canon (like protecting large load trade routes used by hovertrains and TW trains, expansion of CS borders/trading partners (NG, MI) limiting trade with dbees, increased available labor due to refugees from the Tolkeen war, or transdimensional trade).

Just some ideas...
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Wow awesome
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Source-book.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Sureshot wrote:To be honest as much as I like GAW as an organization it’s too much of a small player to warrant a world book imo. Same thing with Wilks

A source book Might be more the level.
Information on the company its products new toys and adventure ideas,(maybe some npcs) would be about right. That would a source book.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Blue_Lion wrote:

A source book Might be more the level.
Information on the company its products new toys and adventure ideas,(maybe some npcs) would be about right. That would a source book.

let not forget hardware from rifts earth past!!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

GAW does seem like it would be a good for a source book sized project rather than a world book, though it could be included in a broader world book.

Wilk's might qualify as a World Book, IIRC aren't they supposed to be more influential than people realize as their products are everywhere including CS and NG hardware (as subcomponents). Granted there manufacturing capacity is narrowly focused.
ZINO
Knight

Unread post by ZINO »

Candy wrote:what does GAW stand for? Don't recognize the acronym

G.A.W
Is Golden Age Weaponsmiths Inc. Golden Age Weaponsmiths (GAW)
Lol

Return to “Rifts®”