Gunslingers...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Gunslingers...

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Do they only get the full damage on their attack in the first melee when they draw and attack, or do they get it whenever they use paired guns?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Re: Gunslingers...

Unread post by EliBenedict »

Not quite sure what you're referring to. I've read and re-read the gunslinger OCC description. Looks like they don't get any special damage bonus, just the paired guns attack, which they can use for any attack (after they draw or later in the round.) Can you clarify whar ability you're referring to?
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

EliBenedict wrote:Not quite sure what you're referring to. I've read and re-read the gunslinger OCC description. Looks like they don't get any special damage bonus, just the paired guns attack, which they can use for any attack (after they draw or later in the round.) Can you clarify whar ability you're referring to?

"3. Paired Weapons: Revolvers & Pistols (special): The Gunslingers can draw and shoot two handguns (or throw two knives) simultaneously at the same target, inflicting full damage from both weapons, but counts as one melee attack."
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

I see where some of the confusion is. It's Palladium Books' inability to use language precisely.

"The Gunslingers can draw and shoot two handguns" isn't intended to be a limitation. They can draw two at the same time, they can shoot two at the same time, or they can draw and shoot two at the same time. It's not only when they draw.
Last edited by Crimson Dynamo on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Unread post by EliBenedict »

HarleeKnight wrote:
EliBenedict wrote:Not quite sure what you're referring to. I've read and re-read the gunslinger OCC description. Looks like they don't get any special damage bonus, just the paired guns attack, which they can use for any attack (after they draw or later in the round.) Can you clarify whar ability you're referring to?

"3. Paired Weapons: Revolvers & Pistols (special): The Gunslingers can draw and shoot two handguns (or throw two knives) simultaneously at the same target, inflicting full damage from both weapons, but counts as one melee attack."

Thanks for the clarification. I read "full damage" in this context to mean the gunslinger rolls full, normal, damage for each pistol (without it being subtracted from, divided, or something like that.). So if they're firing two Wilk's laser pistols simultaneously, they each do 1d6 MD, for a combined 2d6 MD attack.

If the ability was intended to allow the gunslinger to do (for instance) an automatic 6 MD with each Wilk's pistol, I would expect it to say "maximum damage" rather than "full damage," though I admit the syntax is ambiguous.

FWIW I also agree with Crimson Dynamo's interpretation that "draw and fire" probably should be read to mean "draw and/or fire."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

EliBenedict wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I read "full damage" in this context to mean the gunslinger rolls full, normal, damage for each pistol (without it being subtracted from, divided, or something like that.). So if they're firing two Wilk's laser pistols simultaneously, they each do 1d6 MD, for a combined 2d6 MD attack.

Yup.
"Full damage" as opposed to "half damage" or something, not "full damage" meaning "maximum die roll" or anything.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

If it helps in the future, "full damage" generally means it's not reduced in any way. It's the term "max(imum) damage" that tends to mean what you initially assumed.

As always though, context is key.

Return to “Rifts®”