Player groups as mercenary companies

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

Player groups as mercenary companies

Unread post by ardashir »

Has anyone ever permitted a group of their players to use the rules from Rifts Mercenaries to set up their group as a mercenary company, even if it's only squad size? And if so, then how well did it work for you and them?
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Player groups as mercenary companies

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have had players create Mercenary companies but when players are in charge of a company the point based system makes very little sense as they need to pay for stuff. If they want medical services they have to hire doctors and medics and buy the equipment.

Point based systems really are for NPCs and organizations run by NPCs. So if your PCs are part of a mercenary company (or any organization) that is owned and operated by an NPC then the point system works. It gives the GM and players a good idea of what is available to the players for certain missions and how the organization compares to others, but PC run organization needs to pay for things.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Warshield73 wrote:I have had players create Mercenary companies but when players are in charge of a company the point based system makes very little sense as they need to pay for stuff. If they want medical services they have to hire doctors and medics and buy the equipment.

Point based systems really are for NPCs and organizations run by NPCs. So if your PCs are part of a mercenary company (or any organization) that is owned and operated by an NPC then the point system works. It gives the GM and players a good idea of what is available to the players for certain missions and how the organization compares to others, but PC run organization needs to pay for things.

I agree with this for the most part.

I can see the Point System being helpful in two ways:
1. the PC's Merc Co. is supposed to be pre-established at the start of the game, even at Level 1, or a "FAST FORWARD" in time that I want the Players to create so they have a say in how the Merc Co. looks.
2. as guidance to help the PCs to setup their company as they go.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the point system makes sense if the players are a small part of a larger merc unit, since it lets you determine what resources they could potentially gain access to.

if the players are in charge of the unit or are supposed to be the bulk of the manpower, the point system makes little sense.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

It's fine as a "at the beginning of the campaign" starting point. But yes, as they go from there it's use becomes pointless as everything should be obtained and/or secured during gameplay.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Forgive the near tautology, but systems which abstract elements of play are most useful in games which incentivize that. In addition to those found above, I'd add that particular point buy system can be fun in games which involve players using a rotating cast of characters. Many of the character classes found in the Mercenaries book would do well therein; no matter the amount of deep narrative development, I don't believe that anyone has been in a long game campaign playing a Forger OCC. Having one come into focus for a few scenes in a night, though, can be great.

Games of Logistics and Dragons are pretty dependent on how engaging the underlying systems can prove to players. Credits in Rifts aren't consistent enough for playing a mercenary company's accounting department to be especially rewarding. A system which handwaves that in favor of a simple points set up can be fun, especially when players can dip into and out of that role.

Return to “Rifts®”