Did anyone ever use the Valkyri?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ardashir
Wanderer

Did anyone ever use the Valkyri?

Unread post by ardashir »

Was looking at the Juicer Uprising book again, and out of many fun ideas in it I especially like the Valkyri mercenary unit. Both out of a fondness for Amazons and for the background and setting information given with them.

I was wondering, did anyone ever use them in their game as enemies, allies, employers, etc., and if so how did it go?
psiandco
Explorer

Re: Did anyone ever use the Valkyri?

Unread post by psiandco »

... A small village was bringing in a lot of credits...
turning child abduction into a slavery for profit scam...
So much money that they had a fleet of flying Titan x-o.
and lot's a boom stcks!

The Valkiri learned of this wickedness; a day later that small village is nothing but ashes.
Because the crew who'd told the valkiri about the child stealers...
looted the mess after the fact.

suddenly flush with credits and loot, the small crew went south east.
ardashir
Wanderer

psiandco wrote:... A small village was bringing in a lot of credits...
turning child abduction into a slavery for profit scam...
So much money that they had a fleet of flying Titan x-o.
and lot's a boom stcks!

The Valkiri learned of this wickedness; a day later that small village is nothing but ashes.
Because the crew who'd told the valkiri about the child stealers...
looted the mess after the fact.

suddenly flush with credits and loot, the small crew went south east.

So, they set the Valkyri on the kiddy snatchers and then looted the village after they'd leveled it? That took chutzpah.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

One of my players ended up as a famous mercenary and anti-CS rebel. By the time of the Juicer uprising he was trying to unite merc groups that disliked the CS to aid Tolkeen and the Valkyri were one of the groups that belonged, but after the Juicer uprising they along with a lot of juicers dropped out.

A cyber-knight player from the same group ended up defending a town from bandits that turned out to be one of the small groups of Valkyri and he ended up killing the Redstone twins. Never really had the chance to play out the consequences of that but it wouldn't have been pretty.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ardashir
Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:One of my players ended up as a famous mercenary and anti-CS rebel. By the time of the Juicer uprising he was trying to unite merc groups that disliked the CS to aid Tolkeen and the Valkyri were one of the groups that belonged, but after the Juicer uprising they along with a lot of juicers dropped out.

A cyber-knight player from the same group ended up defending a town from bandits that turned out to be one of the small groups of Valkyri and he ended up killing the Redstone twins. Never really had the chance to play out the consequences of that but it wouldn't have been pretty.

Killing the Redstone Twins? Ouch. Yeah, I doubt the rest of the ladies would have appreciated that. Especially their leader given how she met the Redstones and what they rescued her from.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

ardashir wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:One of my players ended up as a famous mercenary and anti-CS rebel. By the time of the Juicer uprising he was trying to unite merc groups that disliked the CS to aid Tolkeen and the Valkyri were one of the groups that belonged, but after the Juicer uprising they along with a lot of juicers dropped out.

Killing the Redstone Twins? Ouch. Yeah, I doubt the rest of the ladies would have appreciated that. Especially their leader given how she met the Redstones and what they rescued her from.

It really all depends on how you as a GM decide the Juicer Uprising went. In my case a lot depended on my players and then I random rolled.

In that game the Valkyri came out of JU at about 60% and when he killed the Redstones they were either close to or at the beginning of last call.

The thing about Juicers holding a grudge, it doesn't last long.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
ardashir
Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:
In that game the Valkyri came out of JU at about 60% and when he killed the Redstones they were either close to or at the beginning of last call.

Which just gives them all the more reason to get their revenge now rather than wait.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

ardashir wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

Which just gives them all the more reason to get their revenge now rather than wait.

This is absolutely true, but the time limitations are real and when in last call everything on your bucket list has to be given a set amount of time with no extensions so if you are those juicers how much time do you give revenge for what was done to someone else vs things directly effecting you.

If you are a younger juicer who is not as experienced or tough as the Redstones how eager are you going to be to track down the guy who took both of them out.

Priorities and self-preservation.
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Warshield73 wrote:
ardashir wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

This is absolutely true, but the time limitations are real and when in last call everything on your bucket list has to be given a set amount of time with no extensions so if you are those juicers how much time do you give revenge for what was done to someone else vs things directly effecting you.

If you are a younger juicer who is not as experienced or tough as the Redstones how eager are you going to be to track down the guy who took both of them out.

:lol: :lol:
You're thinking like someone who hasn't undergone the Juicer process.
You're also thinking like someone who knows what a "level" is, hasn't been trained as a sniper like most Juicers seem to be, maybe doesn't understand avenging a friend, and so on...
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
ardashir
Wanderer

Fenris2020 wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
ardashir wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
You're also thinking like someone who knows what a "level" is, hasn't been trained as a sniper like most Juicers seem to be, maybe doesn't understand avenging a friend, and so on...

I was thinking more if you know you're going to die very soon, and you're a superhuman warrior... Well, why not go right down your enemy's throat, weapons blazing and maybe with some explosive charges ready to go off the moment you drop?

And probably with something by Sabaton blaring on speakers as you do it.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

Fenris2020 wrote: :lol: :lol:

There are a lot of reasons people become juicers and if you read the description a lot, maybe even most, have the intention of making a fortune and then detoxing it is just that they get addicted to the power. Gleba's story A Juicers Tale in tales of the Chitown Burbs really drives this point home. You can also read becoming a Juicer in WB 10.

Also, personality wise, just because you have undergone the juicer conversion doesn't make you an unhinged lunatic bent on revenge. Some will just be professionals that look at a dead coworker and think "pays your money, takes your chances".

All I was saying was the idea that juicers will use their very short time as a Juicer or even to live on getting revenge for another when they probably have business of their own to attend to.

Fenris2020 wrote:You're also thinking like someone who knows what a "level" is,

We all know what levels are, IRL it is just called experience and ability. I have a friend who does armature MMA. He's good too, saw him beat the snot out of a larger, younger fighter just a year or so before the pandemic. He knows he can destroy the average person, but he also knows that Conor McGregor would step on him in 10 seconds flat. This real-world knowledge in game is translated to level. So, while a character wouldn't know 10th vs 11th level they would know who is in their weight class and who is way past it.

Fenris2020 wrote:hasn't been trained as a sniper like most Juicers seem to be, maybe doesn't understand avenging a friend, and so on...

No most Juicers don't have sniper. A quick perusal of NPCs shows a few but not all have the skill, no juicer has it as an OCC skill except the actual Juicer Assassin, and less than half the juicer variants can even take Sniper so a solid 30% according to the numbers can't even have the skill.

Juicers are not all assassins. Some are front line soldiers, some are pilots, some are high end thugs.

ardashir wrote:I was thinking more if you know you're going to die very soon, and you're a superhuman warrior... Well, why not go right down your enemy's throat, weapons blazing and maybe with some explosive charges ready to go off the moment you drop?

And probably with something by Sabaton blaring on speakers as you do it.

What was I getting at is which enemy do you choose?

Also, not every Juicer wants to go out this way. Some may see family. Some may try to atone for past deeds. Some may die under a pile of hookers surrounded by piles of drugs. They are all individuals.

Now I felt this was too much detail before, but I did, in fact, look if someone would avenge them. I look at this for a lot of people my PCs kill especially official NPCs. In this case either no one was left who cared, they couldn't find out who killed them (he didn't post it to his Facebook), or they couldn't track him down. Such is the world of Rifts.

A good example is a player in the same group, a Dragon hatchling, killed a few members of the Society of Sages. That group tried hunting him down for years. The groups are different, so the outcomes are too.

Real world example, I got called by a former coworker about a person who use to be my supervisor. This person was in fact the reason I left that job, so I was happy to recount all the horrible things about him and torch his career for a time. Not going to lie it was fun and I know what that says about me. Now I can't follow him around ruining every job interview he has, I have a life. Everything has limits, including revenge.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

My Quick-Flex Mind Melter, Rita, hated juicers for "accidentally" killing her brother. One of the four that did the killing joined the Valkyri before Rita caught up to her. Rita killed her mark and two more of the merc group. The twins came after her for it. Rita immobilized both of them and then told them her story. She warned the twins to leave her alone or their whole team would be next. They left her alone...
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Fenris2020
Adventurer

HarleeKnight wrote:My Quick-Flex Mind Melter, Rita, hated juicers for "accidentally" killing her brother. One of the four that did the killing joined the Valkyri before Rita caught up to her. Rita killed her mark and two more of the merc group. The twins came after her for it. Rita immobilized both of them and then told them her story. She warned the twins to leave her alone or their whole team would be next. They left her alone...

One quick-flex against... "the whole team"?
No, she'd be one dead quick-flex.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Fenris2020 wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:My Quick-Flex Mind Melter, Rita, hated juicers for "accidentally" killing her brother. One of the four that did the killing joined the Valkyri before Rita caught up to her. Rita killed her mark and two more of the merc group. The twins came after her for it. Rita immobilized both of them and then told them her story. She warned the twins to leave her alone or their whole team would be next. They left her alone...

The original three were killed by Rita and her two friends, a Kremin Cyborg, and a Nuhr Dwarf. Then later, the twins came after her alone. She immobilized them all by herself. Juicers aren't hard to kill if you know how.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Fenris2020
Adventurer

HarleeKnight wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

The original three were killed by Rita and her two friends, a Kremin Cyborg, and a Nuhr Dwarf. Then later, the twins came after her alone. She immobilized them all by herself. Juicers aren't hard to kill if you know how.

She immobilized them how?
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Fenris2020 wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Bio-Manipulation and TK Force Field
Fenris2020
Adventurer

HarleeKnight wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:
Fenris2020 wrote:

Bio-Manipulation and TK Force Field

Didn't know Quick-flex could be psychics.
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler

Fenris2020 wrote:Didn't know Quick-flex could be psychics.

They can be Cyber-Knights and there were extenuating circumstances to her being a full psychic... but that's beside the point.

Return to “Rifts®”