Best power armor for an Assassin?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bossinater101
D-Bee

Best power armor for an Assassin?

Unread post by bossinater101 »

Hello! So quick question for all you vets and GMs out there. I am running a Headhunter Assassin in a mid level SDC rifts game. I recently picked up pilot power armor and am looking for one that would fit an assassin. I know that's a bit of a contradictory statement but the game is so big there must be something out there. I know of the "Jumper/Leaper" lightweight power armour (can't remember the exact name) but it seems a little lack luster and the "Black Fist" out of Nurani wave 2 but that's simply too expensive and unavailable for the pre coalition war time line we are running. So is there any additional options you guys would recommend? Or even a modification recommendations for the Leaper/Jumper power armour if not?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Best power armor for an Assassin?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

bossinater101 wrote:Hello! So quick question for all you vets and GMs out there. I am running a Headhunter Assassin in a mid level SDC rifts game. I recently picked up pilot power armor and am looking for one that would fit an assassin. I know that's a bit of a contradictory statement but the game is so big there must be something out there. I know of the "Jumper/Leaper" lightweight power armour (can't remember the exact name) but it seems a little lack luster and the "Black Fist" out of Nurani wave 2 but that's simply too expensive and unavailable for the pre coalition war time line we are running. So is there any additional options you guys would recommend? Or even a modification recommendations for the Leaper/Jumper power armour if not?

NG-X32 Coyote from Northern Gun 2 is explicitly designed for spies and assassins.

It has no penalties to stealth and is so lightweight and thin that you can actually wear civilian clothing over it and wear it in public without standing out, but it does provide true Robotic strength, enhanced running and leaping (though not to the same degree as a terrain hopper), nuclear power lifespan and concealed built in laser gun and vibro-blade for assassin work, and even camera optics so it can record what the pilot sees (Also designed for spy work recall).
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There is also a suit of PA from japan that has no prowl penalty.
ATPA-85 power spy
Rifts japan page 143.
MDC is 110.
(no PA in the book is listed as having robot ps, that may be do to the age of the book)
It also has a light energy weapon built into the chest and pair of vibro blades.
While lacking heavy weapons It has features that make it good for stealth assassin types.
Is noted that any jet pack can be used and they can be tied into the power supply.

Draw back is it is from japan.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Depends on style of assassination, and what the targets are like.
I mean, any dude in a Glitterboy could walk up and crush the target's skull with his hand if there wasn't much in the way of mega-damage security guards.

Or, of course, shoot off the target's head from 2 miles away.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

The leaping PA you're thinking of is likely either the Jackrabbit from the Arzno book, or the Triax Terrain Hopper.

The NG Night Reaper has a lot of stealth-related capabilities, and is pretty cheap. The Mirage out of Mercenaries adds some TW functionality, including low grade supernatural strength. Custom-made TW-modified armor doesn't grant quite as many abilities as the Mirage, but offers more choice. It's arguable that different layers of a character's armor could be outfitted with TW effects, such as modifying a NG Stalker suit which is worn under PA.
bossinater101
D-Bee

Unread post by bossinater101 »

Do you know a page number for the mirage?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

All power armors are appropriate for an assassin, if you don't care about collateral damage.

Nothing says "Ok, you're dead" like a quartet of guided missiles.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My first question is.....where is the game going to start? the supply of what armor the char will have at the beginning would be limited to what is available to the char.

Then, it was already asked, what style of assassination, is your char going to do? Or did you just pick the Assassin h2h because it was available?

If your char is going to be more a sniper...than the Nauruni optical camouflage armor might be the way to go.

Or if your char is just a headhunter that is just doing the job....any.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Mark Hall wrote:All power armors are appropriate for an assassin, if you don't care about collateral damage.

The "Shock and Awe" school of assassination. I like it!
Crimson Dynamo
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Crimson Dynamo »

I mean, it really depends on what you consider an assassin. Most real world ones aren't super ninjas who sneak around unseen, bypass security systems, and quietly eliminate you in your sleep before disappearing into the night. Most just come right up to you, pop a cap in your face and two in your chest, then take off before the authorities show up.

The same holds up in the game, too. Of the four classes in the RUE that are Assassin-adjacent, only one of them (Crazies) even get Prowl as a baseline skill. The other three being Headhunters, Juicers, and City Rats, where only one of those are intrinsically sneaky by their nature; Headhunters and Juicers are a bit on the loud side, relatively speaking at least.

But that's really just semantics. I realize the original poster was interested in the more cinematic take.

That said, I'd honestly avoid power armor altogether for that concept. Even though they have some stealthy options available, the whole idea of power armor runs contrary to the "silent ninja" ideal, at least in my head. If you're really good at your job, you shouldn't even need armor to begin with.

But, roleplaying games where open combat is the norm. So there's that to consider, too.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

bossinater101 wrote:Do you know a page number for the mirage?
I am so sorry; I misspoke. The Mirage TW Power Armor is found in Black Market, pp 184-5.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

bossinater101 wrote:Hello! So quick question for all you vets and GMs out there. I am running a Headhunter Assassin in a mid level SDC rifts game. I recently picked up pilot power armor and am looking for one that would fit an assassin. I know that's a bit of a contradictory statement but the game is so big there must be something out there. I know of the "Jumper/Leaper" lightweight power armour (can't remember the exact name) but it seems a little lack luster and the "Black Fist" out of Nurani wave 2 but that's simply too expensive and unavailable for the pre coalition war time line we are running. So is there any additional options you guys would recommend? Or even a modification recommendations for the Leaper/Jumper power armour if not?

Standardized Full Conversion Cyborg Chassis do exist for the role of assassination. Given their size (and GM approval) you could have a suit of PA modeled to mimic just about any FCCC's from WB5/WB8/WB14/WB17/WB22 and call it a day, weather the unit is mass produced or a custom job is again going to be up to the GM.

As for actual suits of Power Armor for an assassin it's going to come down to what is their modus opererandi (sp?) and how and why they want to integrate the suit (if at all) into their operations.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Kraynic wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:All power armors are appropriate for an assassin, if you don't care about collateral damage.

The "Shock and Awe" school of assassination. I like it!

In the Vlad Taltos novels, there's a pair of assassins known as "the Sword and Dagger of the Jhereg." The Easterner did use a dagger, but the Dragaeran used a big ******* greatsword. Why? Because if you want to kill someone quickly, seven feet of steel is a good option.

In Rifts, easiest is to blow people up.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”