Need Martial Art/Hand to Hand Help

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hadeshorn
D-Bee

Need Martial Art/Hand to Hand Help

Unread post by Hadeshorn »

So for our next campaign, my group and I will be playing various Martial Artists from China/Japan who get rifted to Mexico. I will be playing a Jeridu (6 armed Elf like dudes from Fantasy) Blind Mystic. I'd originally planned on taking the White Jade Fan as my basic Martial Art style because the idea of being a six armed blind dude who kicks butt with fans just sounds awesome. The only downside is they get gimped on attacks per melee hard, 2 vs the standard 4. Yes, some of that will be offset by my Jeridu-ness but its still rough, especially in a smaller group.

TL;DR - Can anyone think of any other "cool" HtH Martial Art styles that might fit? I've looked through China 2, Japan, Mystic China and a decent chunk of the Rifters.

At the end of the day, I may just end up asking my GM to amend the attacks if I can't find something else that fits.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Need Martial Art/Hand to Hand Help

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Ninjas and Superspies has allot of martial arts.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

Japan and China 2 were published before RUE and the "2 attacks for breathing" rule, so as a GM I'd bump that to 4.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

narcissus wrote:Japan and China 2 were published before RUE and the "2 attacks for breathing" rule, so as a GM I'd bump that to 4.

This.

I'm not sure if China 2 came out before RUE off hand (I don't have that book), but I know Japan did. Back in the RMB days the 2 for living was noted in the main book in an odd place (it might even be in PF2E's main book), and you where expected to add it in I think.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

narcissus wrote:Japan and China 2 were published before RUE and the "2 attacks for breathing" rule, so as a GM I'd bump that to 4.

You seam to mixing things up. The two attacks for breathing was from pre-GMG where you had to manually add them in. It showed up early in rifts so they are not before the rule existed. I know Japans martial arts got redone with the attacks baked in to them in the GMG. To know if you need to apply the 2 attacks for breathing you have to see if the other marital arts have them baked in. (The GM guide has them baked in in some of the exotic marital arts.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'd argue the level 6 ability of the form found in WB25 was intended as something other than W.P. Paired. The versions from N&SS/MC (which save slightly different ability/power access are identical) have similar APM to other forms in those books, so it's possible there was a tradeoff intended in the adaptation. WB25's Falling Fan Trick could also stand some clarification.

Rather than try to fix the Rifts form I'd say use another. If Eighteen Weapons on a six armed dude is too close to Hindu iconography for your taste you might consider lifting Moo Gi Gong from N&SS, with or without Hwarang-Do, and play as someone throwing everything not nailed down.
narcissus
Explorer

Unread post by narcissus »

Blue_Lion wrote:

You seam to mixing things up. The two attacks for breathing was from pre-GMG where you had to manually add them in. It showed up early in rifts so they are not before the rule existed. I know Japans martial arts got redone with the attacks baked in to them in the GMG. To know if you need to apply the 2 attacks for breathing you have to see if the other marital arts have them baked in. (The GM guide has them baked in in some of the exotic marital arts.)

I stand corrected. Other forms in China 2 have more than 2 attacks, so it looks like White Jade Fan legitimately starts with only 2 attacks.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would point out that any Martial Arts H2H skills from RChina2 (or if importing Martial Art Forms from N&S and MC.) they would have to be modified to fix your planed leaf ear character. The MAFs would have to be modified extensively because of the leaf ear's six arms that each can used in each attack wouldn't fit with the two armed forms of the N&S and MC MAF's.

I think there was a Rahu Man rifter article...not sure if they contained a h2h for them. But, if it did, you could use that as a guild to how to mod the RC2 martial arts h2hs.

With the MAF's...it is harder to figure out the modifications. Better to write out a whole MAF just for use of the 6armed leaf ear.

Number of APM...remember that most of the RC2 MA H2H's are learned in mundane-mystic pairs and added things together.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hadeshorn
D-Bee

Unread post by Hadeshorn »

China 2 does specifically mention that they include the "2 for breathing." So yeah, Jade Fans is only 2 attacks, and if I weren't getting extra attacks from my RCC, I'd have those 2 attacks. Which would be alright, if I were like my humpback whale from Undersea where my 2 attacks.

I was hoping to keep it in the flavor of the Blind Mystic where they have "deceptive" martial art styles. I'll see if I can find a PDF of NaSS as our physical copy has, ironically, disappeared.

Oh, and I did look at the Rahu Man HtH a bit. But I think it also relies on their extra size as well.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

As hand to hands go Rifts Drunken Style, with its continuous automatic dodge explicitly at full dodge bonus, is hard to beat, especially when paired with a species which grants an (unfortunately ambiguously worded) amount of bonus attacks per melee. One could make an argument that since China 2 was published before RUE that the earlier book isn't compliant, and both a Jeridu's innate and RDB's trained automatic dodges are as-is unplayable in an RUE game. I'd offer in response to chill out, dork, and consider getting something from multiple sources sufficient impetus to rule of cool it.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Wormwood has a martial arts-like class: the monk. There's also the Warrior Monk O.C.C. in Palladium Fantasy.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Hotrod wrote:Wormwood has a martial arts-like class: the monk. There's also the Warrior Monk O.C.C. in Palladium Fantasy.

In terms of Monks, (WB8) Japan has a few (Sohei Warrior Monk and Bishamon Fighting Monk)
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

You can all so find martial arts in rifter 7 and 3 and mystic china .
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Unread post by EliBenedict »

You can back-door you original concept in the RAW using Zanji. Your attacks per round and strike bonuses will out perform any RUE hand to jand style. At 3rd level, you could take WP-Fan as a specialty kata, and then at 7th you could take WP paired-Fan, completing your transformation into a whirling church-lady of death.

Return to “Rifts®”