Tailoring Skill

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kellypalmiter
D-Bee

Tailoring Skill

Unread post by Kellypalmiter »

I’m in Chicago and haven’t played Rifts in many years. I’ve recently unearthed my books and started making some characters. Can anyone clarify the tailoring skill?

It says if you take sewing twice it makes it tailoring. Does that add any to the skill percentage or does it just mean that successes are professional quality? Does this apply to any other skills like Art or anything?

Also, I’d love to play again if anyone know of any games happening in the Chicagoland area or online anywhere.

Thanks!
Kelly
taalismn
Priest

Re: Tailoring Skill

Unread post by taalismn »

Taking the skill twice gives a +10% skill bonus and makes the finished product of superior quality, from the book description. There's no additional bonuses to other skills I can find in the published canon material, though having the sewing skill itself gives a +5% tp Skin and Prepare Animal Hides and Leather Working.
I'd think, though, that if a GM wanted to be generous, having the Tailoring-quality skill might give some small bonuses to Disguise skills if dummying up uniforms and trick apparel(GM's prerogative).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kellypalmiter
D-Bee

Thank you!
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

most of the domestic skills can be taken 2x to bump them up to professional quality

with the example of sewing. I would use the example that sewing really would have 3 levels for all practical purposes.
unskilled, (you don't actually have the skill) you can attempt to sew things, but even if you succeed its going to look crude, tend to be jury-rigged, and the places you sewed it together are going to be weak, and fragile.
with the sewing skill its going to be adequate quality, its going to look decent, the seams are going to be adequate strength etc.
with 2x sewing skill (professional/ tailor) quality its going to look like a professional did the work the seams are going to be stronger etc.

its like cooking unskilled you can do the equivalent of microwaving s dish preparing MRE's ot the equivalent, prepare easy foods, but only of marginal quality/safety.
with the cooking skill you can prepare food of reasonable quality, follow a recipe and the equivalent, but its NOT professional quality.
with 2x cooking (chef) you can prepare professional quality meals, and create new recipes, or substitute ingredients and still come out with good or great results
taalismn
Priest

guardiandashi wrote:most of the domestic skills can be taken 2x to bump them up to professional quality

with the example of sewing. I would use the example that sewing really would have 3 levels for all practical purposes.

Nonskilled: "You can unwrap a candy bar without hurting yourself, and can thread a needle and push it through fabric without piercing one of your arteries. You probably won't starve to death, but you're reliant on store-bought when your wardrobe wears out." :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kellypalmiter
D-Bee

I love the input. Thanks everyone!

I made this post because I created a Jungle Elf Bio-Mancer. So I took tailoring but even in the ultimate edition of the main book it doesn’t explain tailoring. It just says taking sewing twice makes it tailoring. That being said I also took Art:Scultping for wood shaping and weapons. In the book it explains that taking this skill as an OCC related skill means it’s professional quality but taken as a Secondary skill then the results are amateur.

Keep on keeping on!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Yeah, I think, though can't confirm, the Sewing Skill is the only skill like that where it changes name because it became professional quality. Sure, there's some skills that are "upgrade" versions, but in those cases it's a lot clearer.

Though this does have me wonder about a possible house rule. You can take any skill twice to raise it to professional quality, most of the "soft" skills are handled easily enough, but the more "hard" skills that toss around bonuses (WP and Physical Skills mostly) don't really translate well to this, where the "soft" skills like Sing just get a bonus, what would those skills that are heavy into bonuses (WP or Physical skills) look like?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

ShadowLogan wrote:Yeah, I think, though can't confirm, the Sewing Skill is the only skill like that where it changes name because it became professional quality. Sure, there's some skills that are "upgrade" versions, but in those cases it's a lot clearer.

Though this does have me wonder about a possible house rule. You can take any skill twice to raise it to professional quality, most of the "soft" skills are handled easily enough, but the more "hard" skills that toss around bonuses (WP and Physical Skills mostly) don't really translate well to this, where the "soft" skills like Sing just get a bonus, what would those skills that are heavy into bonuses (WP or Physical skills) look like?

Last time I checked that only applies to skills in the Domestic category.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

The Beast wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:Yeah, I think, though can't confirm, the Sewing Skill is the only skill like that where it changes name because it became professional quality. Sure, there's some skills that are "upgrade" versions, but in those cases it's a lot clearer.

Last time I checked that only applies to skills in the Domestic category.

I know that.

However, the part you colorized was what I was proposing was in the context of a possible House Rule, established in the preceding sentence of that paragraph. Spend a Skill Slot to raise the quality like the Domestic Category of Skills, but for all skill categories. The main issue is how to handle any bonuses a skill might have.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

At least some Technical skills qualify.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

taalismn wrote:Taking the skill twice gives a +10% skill bonus and makes the finished product of superior quality, from the book description.
..snip

RFI: Where does which book say this?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
taalismn wrote:Taking the skill twice gives a +10% skill bonus and makes the finished product of superior quality, from the book description.
..snip

Game Master Guide pg. 53
RUE. Pg. 307
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
..snip

Game Master Guide pg. 53
RUE. Pg. 307

and even older: Rifts Main Book (pre RUE) pg25.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

RUE is the current canon. So it's rules are what is canon.

Now if you had prefaced it with: "For those that use the RMB as the canon for their games...."
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

ShadowLogan wrote:
taalismn wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
..snip

Game Master Guide pg. 53
RUE. Pg. 307

and even older: Rifts Main Book (pre RUE) pg25.

thats just being nitpicky, the point is its always been the case in rifts
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

That I'm OCD about words has not been hidden from anyone.

Return to “Rifts®”