Help getting over an addiction?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Help getting over an addiction?

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

Are there any spells or psionics that can help with withdrawal effects?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Help getting over an addiction?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I'd say that a lot of general cure-all spells would work with removing the physical withdrawal symptoms, except in extreme cases like Juicers undergoing detox or something.

But part of addiction with many kinds of drugs is simply the fact that for many people it feels better to be high than to NOT be high.
That's a tougher nut to crack.

Still, I think there's a Cure Insanity spell/power somewhere, and if that could cure depression, somebody self-medicating through drugs might no longer feel that kind of need, because their everyday life wouldn't be as blah.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

read somewhere that some PCCs can help with the mental therapy.
I don't think it was in a rifts book , and thinks it is more likely in a rifter somewhere.

However, most of the spells or psi powers ether just flush the body out of the drugs/whatever that was being used or help with symptoms of the usage.

The only thing that might work is found in the Nightbane Game. the fleshsculpor OCC. It has the ability to resculpt the subjects thinking by a operation that includes the use of magic. Otherwise there is no magic that reshaped the subject's mind to an un-addicted state.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

The 1E Fantasy game has a psionic ability called Alter Personality. I'm not sure if it made it into any of the newer books however.

If you can find someone with that ability and trust them enough to not REALLY rearrange who you are, then that might be an option assuming that the addiction is mostly mental.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Post-hypnotic suggestion, major psionic power, springs to mind as a logical tool. Add in mind wipe you could rebuild a person pretty solidly.

I'm unfamiliar with any rules regarding magic or psionic aid with addiction. We've not gotten Rifts: Central Illinois and it's minimum 180 pages dedicated to addiction, yet.
True story, we call this area Meth Valley. We used to call it "Little Chicago" but that was unfair to the Windy City.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Lord Loppage wrote:Are there any spells or psionics that can help with withdrawal effects?

RUE pg338. "Counseling, therapy and abstinence are the only means of fighting addition and staying clean and sober."

Magically, "Time Hole" could cut the real world time down (note the player still experiences the time, but for story purposes they go through days of recovery while the outside world progresses at a radically slower rate).

Astral Projection (Spell or Magic), might be an option due to its variable time stream effect like Time Hole. However it works if its only psychological based, if its based in physiology the wrong part of of the character is going through accelerated time.
Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

Thanks everyone. Two characters in the group got addicted to Psi-cola. It just put in the market, so nobody in the group knew anything about it. As major psionics we just thought it tasted great! I made my first saving throw, but heck, it’s soda! As a real life lover of soda, I know I would drink more. So as we were preparing for a long trip, we bought two cases for the drive. So obviously I was going to eventually fail my save and now we’re hooked, ran out, and no way of getting more. Now I LOVE story playing, but we’re in the middle of a major story arc, and more to the point, I’ve had to deal with a loved one go thru fighting an addiction in real life. So it’s kinda hard playing it out, and focus on the story. So I was hoping to find a way in Rifts to get over it quickly. Bio regeneration doesn’t help, like I thought it would.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd say that, arguably, Impervious to Poisons/Toxins would help, at least getting you clean by not letting you get high.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Lord Loppage wrote:Thanks everyone. Two characters in the group got addicted to Psi-cola. It just put in the market, so nobody in the group knew anything about it. As major psionics we just thought it tasted great! I made my first saving throw, but heck, it’s soda! As a real life lover of soda, I know I would drink more. So as we were preparing for a long trip, we bought two cases for the drive. So obviously I was going to eventually fail my save and now we’re hooked, ran out, and no way of getting more. Now I LOVE story playing, but we’re in the middle of a major story arc, and more to the point, I’ve had to deal with a loved one go thru fighting an addiction in real life. So it’s kinda hard playing it out, and focus on the story. So I was hoping to find a way in Rifts to get over it quickly. Bio regeneration doesn’t help, like I thought it would.

I would consider conversing with your GM about your IRL addiction experiences. This is a game, and your GM should be able to make adjustments for the real life needs of their players.

My sister has spent her entire life since age 12 high, drunk, and both. Her addiction has been devastating to my family, and has destroyed more than just her life, it was a major contributing factor to our father's death. I tend to not use addiction story lines in my games, because they're just too real.

Talk to your GM. If this is uncomfortable to you, he or she can easily drop in a MacGuffin of curing and let you get back to having fun with the game instead of dreading that part of the storyline.
ShonicBurn
D-Bee

Unread post by ShonicBurn »

There is indeed a therapy skill that a player can use to treat you with. You could ask the GM for some fastforward goodness to make it quick.

Return to “Rifts®”