Making Character

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wulf06
D-Bee

Making Character

Unread post by wulf06 »

I have a question about making Characters From the Main rule book and the Ultimate Book I was making A Horned Dragon and Do I follow the Old Book or the new book, and why is the Horned Dragon not in the New book?
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: Making Character

Unread post by Orin J. »

horned dragons aren't in RUE(rifts ultimate edition) because of some copyright concerns unrelated to the book, and if you want to play a horned dragon using the old book for it is fine.
hup7
Wanderer

Unread post by hup7 »

Depends on your GM.

The old dragons got caught up in a licence deal... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159160

If you have a copy of Dragons and Gods Palladium fantasy that might be the best source.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wulf06 wrote:I have a question about making Characters From the Main rule book and the Ultimate Book I was making A Horned Dragon and Do I follow the Old Book or the new book, and why is the Horned Dragon not in the New book?

If you want to follow the most current Great Horned Dragon text, you would go to the PF dragons and Gods and follow the MDC worlds text in that.

As to why it not in the Current Rifts core book (RUE), probably/maybe they wanted to put in New Dragons in it. And they already had good 'up to date' text for the RMB dragons in the PF: D&G book..
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The great horned is reprinted in dragons and gods for palladium fantasy. with notes for rifts conversion.
(not sure what copy right issue. Think it was more about lets just do some new dragons that are not in another book.)
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Blue_Lion wrote:The great horned is reprinted in dragons and gods for palladium fantasy.
(not sure what copy right issue. Think it was more about lets just do some new dragons that are not in another book.)

When Rifts was optioned for a movie, Palladium became concerned about what that would mean for other properties that were included in Rifts books.
So they started taking moves to distance Rifts from the other settings a bit; the Mechanoids stopped being the Devouring Swarm, and the Xiticix became that particular threat, and they created Rifts-specific dragons, so that a Rifts movie wouldn't interfere with the ability to have Great Horned dragons (etc.) in a Palladium movie.

Kind of like how if one company made a Daredevil movie with Kingpin in it, that might affect another company wanting to make a Punisher movie with Kingpin in it.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Blue_Lion wrote:The great horned is reprinted in dragons and gods for palladium fantasy.

As I understand it the issue was with the licensing the IPs to different entities for comics, tv, movies, etc. and so they started differentiating the properties. Same reason Phase World Wolfen are now Wulfen.

I still use the stats from the 1st Conversion Book while using the skills RUE for older dragons but Dragons and Gods would probably work better.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Rifts®”