OCC/RCC bonuses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

OCC/RCC bonuses

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

IF an OCC or RCC gives you a bonus to strike does it get added to guns? It's a non-specific bonus and I could find no answers in any of the books.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Orin J.
Adventurer

Re: OCC/RCC bonuses

Unread post by Orin J. »

my instinct on the matter is "what is the class, and what is it aimed at?" palladium's always been wonky at the best of times with clarity so my instinct is to say if the class is pointed towards ranged combat already fine, if it's a swordy-boy than nah.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

My first instinct is to say "No"; When a PC focuses on a ranged weapon (ala the Archer or Glitter-Boy) they gain separate bonuses for HtH and ranged combat.

That being said, an argument could made that a person with a higher PP attribute would have better Hand/Eye coordination and therefor a greater chance of hitting their target.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

I'd say yes, personally; otherwise the Rifts world is filled with some really lousy shots.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

I'm looking at the Temporal Warrior OCC in WB 3 and Pseudo Man RCC in WB 29, they both give you a generic bonus to strike. These aren't PP bonuses or W.P. bonuses, they're combat bonuses.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

HarleeKnight wrote:IF an OCC or RCC gives you a bonus to strike does it get added to guns? It's a non-specific bonus and I could find no answers in any of the books.

Unless it is called out for long range use it only applies to melee range. That is my experience with bonuses.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

HarleeKnight wrote:IF an OCC or RCC gives you a bonus to strike does it get added to guns? It's a non-specific bonus and I could find no answers in any of the books.

Unless it says it gives a bonus to modern weapons, then the only weapons that get the bonus are ones that get them from the char's hand to hand training.

Simplified: do class or racial bonus to strike apply to guns? No.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

This is one of those issues with the Rifts books that not having a comprehensive template brings up periodically.

How do other RPGs with combo melee/ranged combat bonuses deal with the issue? I've only dealt with those who have specific delineation for HtH and ranged weapons.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

Blackwater Sniper wrote:This is one of those issues with the Rifts books that not having a comprehensive template brings up periodically.

How do other RPGs with combo melee/ranged combat bonuses deal with the issue? I've only dealt with those who have specific delineation for HtH and ranged weapons.

they pretty universally tie the two methods of attack to different stats and use those to dole out bonuses. palladium is pretty much the only RPG that doesn't make a distinction there that doesn't go all "mind's eye combat" on the game.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Unless it says it gives a bonus to modern weapons, then the only weapons that get the bonus are ones that get them from the char's hand to hand training.

Simplified: do class or racial bonus to strike apply to guns? No.

concur...since thems the rules.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles

Return to “Rifts®”