Head Shots to Kill Zombies

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

daddystabz
Wanderer

Head Shots to Kill Zombies

Unread post by daddystabz »

If I am reading Dead Reign correctly it seems like even if you do an Aimed + Called Shot you would be at a -3 or so to strike a Romero-type zombie in the head to kill it. You could gain an additional +1 to strike if you are within 15 ft. of it. Of course a natural 20 would automatically hit and do triple damage in this instance, taking up 3 attack/actions.

Does this seem correct or is the Called Shot penalty for small objects for things smaller than a humanoid head?

In the world I will be running head shots kill zombies.
Axelmania
Knight

Re: Head Shots to Kill Zombies

Unread post by Axelmania »

Where did you see a -3 penalty to hit heads?

Given that you need a natural 17+ to hit necks/heads the usual purpose of strike bonuses seems moot aside from making them harder to dodge, and I don't know how often zombies try to dodge gunfire
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, as far as I can tell, firearm accuracy is incredibly poor in Dead Reign compared to our world.

-Vek
“Headshots on a stationary target aren’t difficult.”
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Not only are head-shots more difficult than they should be to make, a zombie's head can have more SDC and AR than your armored character.
The game's premise is cool, but the way it was written makes it impossible for characters to do anything but run themselves to death.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

daddystabz wrote:If I am reading Dead Reign correctly it seems like even if you do an Aimed + Called Shot you would be at a -3 or so to strike a Romero-type zombie in the head to kill it. You could gain an additional +1 to strike if you are within 15 ft. of it. Of course a natural 20 would automatically hit and do triple damage in this instance, taking up 3 attack/actions.

Does this seem correct or is the Called Shot penalty for small objects for things smaller than a humanoid head?

It's already included. Normal roll for a zombie's locations (including the jaw, BTW) is 15+ to inflict damage to the SDC (after that being depleted, you've either deprived it of a limb or opened its torso to inflict HP damage...& coincidentally only needed 8+ to now inflict damage), it's only the neck (SDC eliminated = decapitation) or head (SDC eliminated = brain exposed, need to do full HP damage to kill it, or "insta-gib" it if your initial attack was 3x its SDC) that needs the 17+ to damage it.

The real killer actually is that you cannot use any strike bonuses if targeting the Neck or Head. Which makes ZERO sense to me. That's like saying a highly-trained sniper with a high-level WP skill is no better at making a head shot on a zombie than an untrained tyro that managed to not be scared s***less & suffer any penalties when firing. Bull. F***king. S***. You should be able to use any applicable strike penalties on any called shot against zombies, including headshots & neckshots.

That being said...if you manage to decapitate a zombie, or have managed to remove all of its limbs, I would allow for a bonus (or effectively a reduction), because now you can walk up to the limbless zombie, roll them over with your boot, hold them down with said boot (or have someone else hold them down for you), & hold the barrel of your gun directly against their zombie flesh. I'm not saying it's an insta-hit, but it should be much easier to shoot out the brains of a zombie you have immobilized on the ground when your barrel is pressed right against their cranium.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

daddystabz wrote:If I am reading Dead Reign correctly it seems like even if you do an Aimed + Called Shot you would be at a -3 or so to strike a Romero-type zombie in the head to kill it. You could gain an additional +1 to strike if you are within 15 ft. of it. Of course a natural 20 would automatically hit and do triple damage in this instance, taking up 3 attack/actions.

A Natural 20 would be an "automatic critical strike" but not an "automatic hit" as the zombie/target could also roll a Natural 20 to dodge/parry. Defenders win all ties.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
hbrika
D-Bee

Unread post by hbrika »

I agree but do the non intelligent types of zombies dodge?
Never accept blindly, always question.

Give up free will at your peril.
Fenris2020
Adventurer

hbrika wrote:I agree but do the non intelligent types of zombies dodge?

I'd say not, and even the intelligent ones would have to know the attack is coming first.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Fenris2020
Adventurer

Veknironth wrote:Well, as far as I can tell, firearm accuracy is incredibly poor in Dead Reign compared to our world.

-Vek
“Headshots on a stationary target aren’t difficult.”

I have to agree; the rule about burst-fire not being able to take out a specific target is also wonky; I'd say the book's author is either trying WAY too hard to achieve some kind of "game balance", or isn't familiar with fire-arms... possibly both.

Return to “Dead Reign™”