Removing AC

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sohisohi
Explorer

Removing AC

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Anyone have experience with DR but without Armor Class or Rating?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Removing AC

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Why remove AR? for the zombies it represents hitting something that actually matters and if you don't have ar for human armor are you just using it as additional layered SDC? Because it represents the difficulty zombs have chewing through it.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Sohisohi
Explorer

Unread post by Sohisohi »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Why remove AR? [. . .] Because it represents the difficulty zombs have chewing through it.
because at 14 AR, zombies are effectively unkillable in a 1v1. I think the advantage for a Point Blank Shot/Attack is more forgiving, but otherwise a party can't face-off against multiple zombies.

I have several horde encounter planned, two in-fact, and a handful of Mini Hordes. I don't see how my players will survive the first horde, let alone the two that follow in quick succession.

Without AR, the zombies become so much more manageable.

I haven't decided if I will remove AR for the players/humans yet.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Sohisohi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Why remove AR? [. . .] Because it represents the difficulty zombs have chewing through it.
because at 14 AR, zombies are effectively unkillable in a 1v1. I think the advantage for a Point Blank Shot/Attack is more forgiving, but otherwise a party can't face-off against multiple zombies.

I have several horde encounter planned, two in-fact, and a handful of Mini Hordes. I don't see how my players will survive the first horde, let alone the two that follow in quick succession.

Without AR, the zombies become so much more manageable.

I haven't decided if I will remove AR for the players/humans yet.

Now I see, I'd keep zombie AR for non called shots and called shots to anything but the weak point (normally head). Called shot to the weak point, on zombies, unless they're armored, has no AR and automatically does double damage or x3 on criticals.

Fire ignores AR and explosives inversely cancel out AR based on the percentage of its max damage it does. If it does max damage or 100% of its damage then the zombie has 0% of its AR, 50% max damage then the zombie gets 50% of its AR. Of course that means you'll always roll explosive damage first and then th to hit to see if the explosive disintegrates the zombie or just blows of an unimportant rib.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Zombie AR and Head SDC are a bit ridiculous.
AR 9 and half the Head SDC makes more sense
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Sohisohi wrote:Anyone has experience with DR but without Armor Class or Rating?

I remove it from my campaign a long time ago unless they have amour IMHO it works
I am not good at explaining things but simple no amour the most AR of 5 and no more unless they are boss like zombies they yeah that always make send IMHO
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Sohisohi wrote:Anyone have experience with DR but without Armor Class or Rating?

The last one shot I ran on Roll20 I did without any A.R. for the zombies, and they're still VERY hard to kill and dangerous AF.
ImageImageImage
Graymouser65
D-Bee

Unread post by Graymouser65 »

I don’t have a ton of experience with this game but we don’t use AR for zombies nor do we use any sort of damage reduction. Works well for what we want which is zombies more like an environmental hazard (a “horde”). When we used AR and DR they were pound for pound as tough or tougher than the PCs. This is fine, just not what we were looking for personally.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

Yeah, I hate Zombie AR and zombie damage reduction. Zombies as others have stated are hard enough to kill without it. With Zombies not feeling pain, not being vulnerable to bleeding out and not stopping until they are too damaged to move. They are a serious threat even without the AR and damage reduction. Frankly all bullets cause damage in the same way, the difference is the severity of the resulting damage. a .22lr pistol should be able to kill a Zombie. However it's going to take much longer than using a .357 magnum. Centerfire rifles and most shotguns just vacate the cranial vault. Once the Vulnerabilities of Zombies are known to Survivors they should be an easy kill when alone or in small numbers. Attracting the attention of a Horde is the real danger.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Dead Reign™”